Kayaking In So Md Anyone

glhs837

Power with Control
I think the $1300 start up rpice might be too steep for someone just trying it out. Very nice kayak though.

Baja, the web page says its 225-275 capacity, not sure why the range. I'm 5'8", a hair under 200lbs, and my little 9.5 footer seems fine to me.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Mike, I see where you are trying to go with this. I think I took the same path, I wanted to get into it as cheap as possible but still get something I actually wanted and was comfortable in.

You see what I ended up with.(posted in the other thread)
I'm not worried about cost as much as I am getting the right kayak for me.

I want something I can fish from as well as just go paddling around. I had no idea there were so many variations and options.

I'm also trying to keep in mind that I may have to carry this thing so weight is a factor too.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I think the $1300 start up rpice might be too steep for someone just trying it out. Very nice kayak though.

Baja, the web page says its 225-275 capacity, not sure why the range. I'm 5'8", a hair under 200lbs, and my little 9.5 footer seems fine to me.
I'm 5'-8" and about 215. I'll also be carrying 2-3 rods + tackle and a small cooler.

Is what I described doable? I do plan on renting 1st.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmm, I dont do fishing, but I'm thinking that much stuf might be cramped in a boat like mine. Youre better off with at 12 footer at least. A sit-in would be lighter, and so easier to carry to the water, if your going to be doing that.

Pungo 120 Angler - Wilderness Systems Kayaks

Weight on this ones about 52lbs. Theres a 14 foot version thats 56lbs.

spinner

kayaks

I have a Heritage Redfish 12', I fish out of it all the time. Whe I bought a kayak I knew I wanted a sit on top, It has a place to bolt the rod holder, plenty of room for a small cooler and tackle box. Plus all the driftwood I seem to drag home. And it is steady enough I can sit with my feet over the side or turn around to get stuff out of the back. Plus it's light enough for me to get in and out of the truck by myself, but not carry it any long distance. I bought it in Solomons, Patuxent River Adventures [?] they were great to deal with. Last year I bought Hobie from BluHaven Piers, haven't had it out much since I bought it at the end of the year. They were also great to deal with. Both places were very willing to let me try their kayaks out.
My advice [should you accept this mission] is to try out different kayaks and find the one that fits you and what you want to do. I've wondered if you are fishing in a sit in kayak how hard it it to maneuver the rod and the fish.
Good luck with your search, maybe I'll see you out on the water.

Hessian

Tandem

I have a very reliable Tandem Loon 160 (78 lbs)

Daughter & I kayak in it and it can handle over 420 lbs easily.
Best feature? It holds course remarkably well.
On Flat water around the bay...it will not wobble side-to-side on each stroke (That is the problem taking a short white-water yak on flat water...it gets boring quick!)

I can throw it up on my truck and be out the driveway in 5-10 minutes.
Great launch site near Broomes Is...

For reference: Merkle Wildlife will probably run 2-3 tours during spring-summer: great wildlife & history up on the Mid Patuxent. Cost is very reasonable for a guided tour. Bring your own or pay a few bucks for theirs (20.00+/- for much of a day)

On another thread their is a great opportunity to do Mallows bay this year ( 100+ WWI era wrecks) --DNR land so you need to work through the parks if you want access or find out when their next trip is.

QUESTION: I see Calvert Parks and Rec offers the Park to Park paddle this spring...did anyone do that this past Fall? I missed it & wanted to try it...photos??

Gwydion

What are the benefits of "sit on top"? It seems like they would have a higher center of gravity? I am looking for something that I can go tour the bay in.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
What are the benefits of "sit on top"? It seems like they would have a higher center of gravity? I am looking for something that I can go tour the bay in.

They are easier to fish out of as far as moving around, casting, landing fish, you're right though it would seem that they would be easier to tip.

glhs837

Power with Control
Eh, outside of rough stuff, not too much so. Easier to fall off of, maybe, but stability is pretty good with any of these. One benefit to the Sit-On-Top (SOT) is that if you do go over, there's no worries about removing the water from it once you get back in/on. and you cant really take on water, like a sit in.

CG is higher, but the SOTs are not as tippy as you'd imagine. I know I was surprised the first time I tried one, you would really need to try to tip, my son and daughter, who were 10 and 13 at the time, had no problems keeping the dry side up, and outside of a couple of canoe trips in camp, had no boating experience:) Until my son deliberately went over:) And I was able to help him back on with minimal effort. A sit-in wouldnt have been so easy, and we would have faced the issue of bailing out the water. Most folks keep a hand powered bilge pump, and a an inflatable paddle float, as shown in this vid. Looking atit, looks like the yak really doesnt take much water, though.

YouTube - Kayaking Skills: Part 3 - Self Rescue

Gwydion

Thanks!

What about comfort? Short of spending a grand, it seems like there is more back support on the non-SoT's for multiple hours of kayaking.

Bah, maybe I should just go rent one of each...

Austin kayak has some good prices... they also have package deals and $49 shipping.

Beacon in Waldorf sells "Old town" brand.. West Marine sells Ocean ... so far I am most impressed by "heritage"

Oh and BJ'S has a few also

spinner

Niether of my sit on tops are tippy at all, when I was trying the Heritage out I rocked it pretty hard and couldn't tip it. For me I didn't like the idea of being inside the sit-in, I like to be able to move around. I think the sit on tops are wetter then the sit ins, and you can't get a skirt to help keep you dry, and white water kayaking isn't advisable in one.... but the seats on my SOTs are comfortable, lots of room to move and if I ever fall out I can swim.

glhs837

Power with Control
Most of the smaller rec boats like were talking about here have pretty open cockpits..... Heres the one I paddle, good top view.

PERCEPTION Swifty 9.5 Kayak : Buy the PERCEPTION Swifty 9.5 Kayak at Eastern Mountain Sports

Your in the open all the way to mid-shin, its 42 inches from front to back of the cockpit. You really couldnt get stuck unless you were so uncoordinated you shouldnt walk unaided, really.

I know I had the same trepidations, but once I actually sat in one, it was not a thing I ever worried about again. Now, one like this.....

Eskia - Comfortable And Capable Sea Kayak - Necky Kayaks

That suckers cockpit is only 28 inches long, you should know what your doing about egress before heading out in that:)

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
Hobie Kayaks ROCK!!

Hobie Kayaks

I own two Hobie's

the Adventure and the Mirage Revolution.. love em... they both get two thumbs up in my book... Just my two cents.. :dye:

you can rent them at bluhaven piers in ridge if you want to try one out..