kayaks

SeaRide

mkd20012001 said:
Where is the best place to rent either kayaks or canoes for the day, and where is a good place to go out on them? TIA

There's no such thing as 'best' place to rent.

Any place is good, really.

You can rent one and paddle at:

WASHINGTON DC
- Jack's boathouse (K1, K2, C2 )
- Fletcher's
- Atlantic kayak @ Piscataway creek (SOT, OC, K1, K2)
and few more

Calvert co
- Chesapeake Beach (SOT, OC, K1)
- Broomes Island (not sure if still in business) (SOT, OC, K1, K2?)
- Solomons (SOT, K1, K2)

St Marys
- Camp Merryelande Vacation Cottages ? kayak rental on site? <--Not sure
- Great Mills canoe/kayak launch area <-- not sure if still renting

Charles
- Smallwood St park <-- not sure about rental

key:
K1 = kayak for one paddler
K2 = tandem kayak ( for two paddler)
OC = open cockpit / recreational kayak with large open cockpit
C2 = canoe for two paddler
C1 = canoe for one
SOT = sit on top kayak

I used to rent kayaks long time ago but now I own one so I don't keep track of where to rent one anymore. When my friends from out of SOMD come visit, I would rent kayaks from Patuxent Adventure Center (PAC) at Solomons. Once a while I would rent some from PAC for the weekend at various places like Assateague/Chincoteague , eastern shore rivers, etc.

As for safety, always wear the PFD.
As for safety, always wear clothing for water temperature (not the air temperature). i.e. wetsuit, drysuit, layers of non-cotton clothes

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
We reserved a tandem kayak for the whole day on Friday from Island Time Rental. Really nice and helpful people. Now lets hope it doesn't rain on friday.

lkt said:
hey .. theres a good business venture for someone retired ... get a couple of kayaks, the gear and rent it out to people who wanna paddle the kayak launch in great mills... then as part of the service pick em up in st. marys city and give em a ride back to their cars!!!

you really wouldnt need a "store" just a contact number and people could make reservations and you could meet them at the launch with the kayaks!

let me know when you have the business set up cuz I would love to paddle the launch ... and see tippy witchity...

:howdy:
Desertrat's Canoe Adventures
Business now open. :lmao: One canoe, paddles, life jackets and transportation. I may do the run this weekend so I can advise my customers what to expect. If they drown or something would I be liable?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Take a fishing rod (get your license too) paddle towards 1 o'clock from the launch area and go up on the left side of that cove. Put a big honkin glob of nightcrawler on a hook about 18-24 inches below a bobber and hang on.
250 acres of water with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

BuddyLee

Football addict
There's a small river on rt. 5 going towards Great Mills rd. directly north of the Sheetz. There's a canoe/kayak site drop off there that I've been meaning to try out.

Lake Canoy is also peaceful and picturesque. Point Lookout State Park rents out canoes and once rented out kayaks for the lake.

kom526 said:
Take a fishing rod (get your license too) paddle towards 1 o'clock from the launch area and go up on the left side of that cove. Put a big honkin glob of nightcrawler on a hook about 18-24 inches below a bobber and hang on.
250 acres of water with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.
If you go this Saturday or next you won't need a license. The Great State of Maryland has so decreed it.

bohman

BuddyLee said:
There's a small river on rt. 5 going towards Great Mills rd. directly north of the Sheetz. There's a canoe/kayak site drop off there that I've been meaning to try out.

That's an excellent trip, I did it last year. There has been some confusion, though, over where to land downstream. We chose to leave a car at the college boathouse, but when we spoke to one of the directors there later, he was unaware that anybody was going to do so. And this year that whole peace of property is torn up with construction on the new boathouse. The county parks & rec website doesn't get more specific than "Rt. 5 in St. Mary's city", so I guess you just leave a car parked on the shoulder? Everything else is technically college property, but you can normally get away with finding some parking. Especially in the summer.

Hessian

Possible treks

we intend to have 2-3 canoe/kayak treks leaving from Merkle wildlife sanctuary (on the southeastern side of Jug Bay) coming up this summer: exploring Lyon's creek, Hall creek, Mattaponi creek, Spice creek.

Also: not ruling out a possible exploration of Gilbert run to Allen's Fresh
We should have dates posted for these within a week.

The Patuxent Sojourn is coming up too!

Hessian

kom526

Hessian said:
we intend to have 2-3 canoe/kayak treks leaving from Merkle wildlife sanctuary (on the southeastern side of Jug Bay) coming up this summer: exploring Lyon's creek, Hall creek, Mattaponi creek, Spice creek.

Also: not ruling out a possible exploration of Gilbert run to Allen's Fresh
We should have dates posted for these within a week.

The Patuxent Sojourn is coming up too!

Hessian
Day paddles or overnighters?

BuddyLee

Football addict
bohman said:
That's an excellent trip, I did it last year. There has been some confusion, though, over where to land downstream. We chose to leave a car at the college boathouse, but when we spoke to one of the directors there later, he was unaware that anybody was going to do so. And this year that whole peace of property is torn up with construction on the new boathouse. The county parks & rec website doesn't get more specific than "Rt. 5 in St. Mary's city", so I guess you just leave a car parked on the shoulder? Everything else is technically college property, but you can normally get away with finding some parking. Especially in the summer.
There's a launch site near the Sheetz on Great Mills rd. I didn't know there was one at St. Mary's college.

As far as I know, the river takes you to Leonardtown. Since you've been on this, can you give me any other details?

BuddyLee said:
There's a launch site near the Sheetz on Great Mills rd. I didn't know there was one at St. Mary's college.

As far as I know, the river takes you to Leonardtown. Since you've been on this, can you give me any other details?
I would advise you not to have a vehicle waiting for you at Leonardtown if you put in at Great Mills unless you are planning on a very long paddle. :lmao:
Try looking at a map or one of the satellite imaging sites and follow the course of the stream. :yay: You can also estimate then length of the trip.

kom526

BuddyLee said:

You can put in in Leonardtown and follow that out to Breton Bay. That is a nice paddle, there are a couple of areas where these little coves are completely covered with pink flowers. Once again I would suggest bringing a fishing rod (w 1/8 oz beetle spins) for the perch. :yay: Oh yeah, definitely bring a camera too.