kayaks

bohman

BuddyLee said:
There's a launch site near the Sheetz on Great Mills rd. I didn't know there was one at St. Mary's college.

As far as I know, the river takes you to Leonardtown. Since you've been on this, can you give me any other details?

DR and kom are correct. Going downstream from the Great Mills site will take you to the St. Mary's river, and eventually to St. Mary's college. The Leonardtown site will take you to Breton bay.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
bohman said:
DR and kom are correct. Going downstream from the Great Mills site will take you to the St. Mary's river, and eventually to St. Mary's college. The Leonardtown site will take you to Breton bay.
From Great Mills you are on the St. Mary's river.

Ken King said:
Certain times of the year they will close off Chancellors Run Rd at the bridge for kayakers and canoers to launch there and go down the river. Last time I put in just past the flares and had a blast! I still remember the Deputies standing on the road yelling their encouragement! Couldn't hear what they were saying exactly because of the sound of the rain and rushing water, but they were very enthusiastic! Probably wanted to join me.

spookthis

Three of us went off from the Great Mills drop down to the college. My husband and our friend weigh more than me and frequently got stuck on sandbars and logs during the beginning of the trip before we got past Adkins Rd. I, however, glidded right over :lmao: It was pretty nice, bad smell behind where A & M used to be, but went by it quickly.

Was pretty smooth until we got to Tippity Witchity Island...then the wind picked up, we also ran into the Dove a couple of times and had to manauver around her close to Horseshoe Cove. With the wind and all took up about 2 hours to get to the college. I thought I would never get across the cove :hot: Our original intent was to paddle back. :killingme . We called another friend to pick us up and take us back to the trucks in Great Mills.

I'd still do it again from there.

bohman

Ken King said:

You're right; I wasn't very clear. I was just trying to assure him that the tiny trickle of water at the GM launch will turn into the large body of water that most people would think of as the St. Mary's river.

bohman said:
You're right; I wasn't very clear. I was just trying to assure him that the tiny trickle of water at the GM launch will turn into the large body of water that most people would think of as the St. Mary's river.
What type of kayak would you, or anyone, recommend that would be good for these little streams yet get you across the flat water when needed. Good example, the St Marys River run.

bohman

desertrat said:
What type of kayak would you, or anyone, recommend that would be good for these little streams yet get you across the flat water when needed. Good example, the St Marys River run.

Good question, but I don't know squat about kayaks. I've never owned one, and never paddled one except for the sit-on-top ocean kayaks that are at the college. As far as the little streams, probably anything would work. My canoe is a 17ft aluminum battleship, probably the least maneuverable thing you could paddle, and we got through there without much effort.

BuddyLee said:
I was there three weeks ago and that appeared to be the answer.
That seems to be the practice around here. Back when Blue Wind was renting them I wanted to get a couple to take to WV. They acted like I was nuts. They only let you use them where they took them.

SeaRide

desertrat said:
That seems to be the practice around here. Back when Blue Wind was renting them I wanted to get a couple to take to WV. They acted like I was nuts. They only let you use them where they took them.

Maybe they were thinking "new kayak damaged by rocks easily by one of those class II-IV rivers" in WV unless you told them about paddling on a pond/lake. :shrug: There are plenty of places in WV to rent kayaks so your statement got me wondering.

I have rented from PAC (Patuxent Adventure Center) and took them to places like Chincoteague and Lake Anna.

At Chincoteague, I have rented a few from the kayak rental place and took them elsewhere to paddle.

I guess it depends on which kayak rental business will allow you to transport the kayak(s) to other places.

SeaRide said:
Maybe they were thinking "new kayak damaged by rocks easily by one of those class II-IV rivers" in WV unless you told them about paddling on a pond/lake. :shrug: There are plenty of places in WV to rent kayaks so your statement got me wondering.

I have rented from PAC (Patuxent Adventure Center) and took them to places like Chincoteague and Lake Anna.

At Chincoteague, I have rented a few from the kayak rental place and took them elsewhere to paddle.

I guess it depends on which kayak rental business will allow you to transport the kayak(s) to other places.
PAC sounds good then. Blue Wind wouldn't let you load them on your own vehicle and take them anywhere. More like they were worried about you stealing them. In OBX we rented them too and took them to the beach or the sound.

SeaRide

desertrat said:
PAC sounds good then. Blue Wind wouldn't let you load them on your own vehicle and take them anywhere. More like they were worried about you stealing them. In OBX we rented them too and took them to the beach or the sound.

I assume you knew that Blue Wind has been out of business for couple years, yes?
That same place has been called Blue Wind Gourmet. oh well.

bohman

SeaRide said:
I assume you knew that Blue Wind has been out of business for couple years, yes?
That same place has been called Blue Wind Gourmet. oh well.

One might assume that he was referring to renting from Blue Wind in years past, just to provide a comparison...but maybe not.

Island Time

There is a new place to rent Kayaks, Bicycles and Segways. Island Time Rental on Solomons Island is on the left just before you get to the Tiki Bar. We have a floating dock out back to get you in, we provide a map, and point you toward about 10 miles of creeks you can paddle to and love.

Hessian

Canoe/Kayak trek...

I want to hear some reasonable opinions on a proposal I am developing:
A combination Canoe/Kayak paddle--then woodsy hike---then return paddle.

I believe I can design it to accomodate intermediate to endurance trekers.

Paddle (1-5 miles)...Hike (1-2 miles)...Return paddle

Mostly flat water with slight current, historic and lots of natural sights, plenty of tributary/marsh exploration. I am hoping that eventual grant $$ will help with interpretive plaques, weather shelter, and seasonal privy.

Opportunities for fishing/photos/orienteering/possible overnight camping.

It is in the Mid Patuxent region.

THOUGHTS? SUGGESTIONS? PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES? :coffee:

HammerII

desertrat said:
Lots of kayaks around but if your going to go exploring where no man has gone before then start thinking about canoes. Why you ask? During your trips you WILL HAVE to depart your craft and drag it over a sandbar or log or what ever is in your way. It is way easier to step in and out of a canoe then a kayak.

The place is at leonardtown is called McIntosh Run. It's a great trip fairly easy to launch and flows thru some really nice country. How ever be warned, that as of last week a HUGE pine is down that you have to drag your craft over. Still a very nice place to paddle around.