kayaks

HammerII said:
Lots of kayaks around but if your going to go exploring where no man has gone before then start thinking about canoes. Why you ask? During your trips you WILL HAVE to depart your craft and drag it over a sandbar or log or what ever is in your way. It is way easier to step in and out of a canoe then a kayak.

The place is at leonardtown is called McIntosh Run. It's a great trip fairly easy to launch and flows thru some really nice country. How ever be warned, that as of last week a HUGE pine is down that you have to drag your craft over. Still a very nice place to paddle around.
That's what I use, actually, for that reason and I like the extra room. I was asking for someone else who likes kayaks. I also find that in tight quarters the way a kayak has to be paddled just doesn't work. Probably why eskimos used kayaks and our indians used canoes, eh?

LordStanley

I know nothing
By the way, Islandtime Rentals on Solomons allows you to take the kayaks anywhere you want. As long as you can safely transport them.

Midnightrider

Hessian said:
I want to hear some reasonable opinions on a proposal I am developing:
A combination Canoe/Kayak paddle--then woodsy hike---then return paddle.

I believe I can design it to accomodate intermediate to endurance trekers.

Paddle (1-5 miles)...Hike (1-2 miles)...Return paddle

Mostly flat water with slight current, historic and lots of natural sights, plenty of tributary/marsh exploration. I am hoping that eventual grant $$ will help with interpretive plaques, weather shelter, and seasonal privy.

Opportunities for fishing/photos/orienteering/possible overnight camping.

It is in the Mid Patuxent region.

THOUGHTS? SUGGESTIONS? PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES? :coffee:
How about making it a little more ambitious and make it an overnight camping trip? I was trying to plan one, but from rt 50 to uppermarlboro, there is no where to camp. and i think itrs like 20 miles, thats a long paddle for one day