Key Bridge Collapse In Baltimore

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Engineers blame $3m structural 'flaw' for Baltimore's Francis Scott Key bridge collapsing - and tens of thousands of bridges across US could also have fault

• No bridge can withstand millions of pound of force from a strike, engineers say
  • But there are structures that can protect a bridge from being struck by a ship
  • But none of these appeared to be in place, multiple engineers told DM.com
  • READ MORE: Divers and sonar crews race against the tide in search for survivors

Engineers have blamed the deadly collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key bridge on a design flaw that is present in tens of thousands of US bridges.

Several experts told DailyMail.com that the Maryland bridge was missing critical protection systems that would have stopped the the nearly 105,000 ton container ship from smashing into the bridge's support.

The Francis Scott Key Bridge was built in 1977 and anti-collision devices like fenders or protection cells were not introduced until the 1980s.
Experts said installing fenders would cost at least $3 million, but the collapse means a $15 million per day loss in economic activity and $1.5 million daily in state and local taxes - and that doesn't include the six men who are presumed dead.

Video of the 1.6-mile-long Francis Scott Key bridge collapsing into the Patapsco River after a cargo ship struck one of its piers at low speed created a surreal scene as the entire bridge appeared to crumble in one fell swoop.

BOP

Engineers blame $3m structural 'flaw' for Baltimore's Francis Scott Key bridge collapsing - and tens of thousands of bridges across US could also have fault

• No bridge can withstand millions of pound of force from a strike, engineers say
  • But there are structures that can protect a bridge from being struck by a ship
  • READ MORE: Divers and sonar crews race against the tide in search for survivors

Engineers have blamed the deadly collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key bridge on a design flaw that is present in tens of thousands of US bridges.

Several experts told DailyMail.com that the Maryland bridge was missing critical protection systems that would have stopped the the nearly 105,000 ton container ship from smashing into the bridge's support.

The Francis Scott Key Bridge was built in 1977 and anti-collision devices like fenders or protection cells were not introduced until the 1980s.
Experts said installing fenders would cost at least $3 million, but the collapse means a $15 million per day loss in economic activity and $1.5 million daily in state and local taxes - and that doesn't include the six men who are presumed dead.

Video of the 1.6-mile-long Francis Scott Key bridge collapsing into the Patapsco River after a cargo ship struck one of its piers at low speed created a surreal scene as the entire bridge appeared to crumble in one fell swoop.
That's money that could go to Ukraine.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Speaking as an engineer...that article is full of crap. The sheer size of an "anti-collision" structure capable of effectively stopping a ship that size is mind boggling. 3 million $ my happy arse....

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, I'm pretty sure it was a ship malfunction. But I no longer believe it just because they say it. Too many times there's been much more to the story so I don't like to rule that possibility out.

Of course not, you must judge everything. In this case, knowing a little bit about ships and a bit more about bridges, and a lot more about conspiracy theories, I place the odds of this being some initial stroke in a plan to bring us to our knees at less than 1%. A lot less.

I can think of about a billion ways to cause more damage and lasting economic effects than hijacking a ship and wacking a bridge. And its not even that symbolic. I mean we here in MD like it, but its never been on the national scene.

glhs837

Power with Control
Speaking as an engineer...that article is full of crap. The sheer size of an "anti-collision" structure capable of effectively stopping a ship that size is mind boggling. 3 million $ my happy arse....

Well, its the DailyMail, soooooo

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I wondered about that the average container ship is 220,000 Tons that is one hell of a MASS to deflect even at 9 kts

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I can think of about a billion ways to cause more damage and lasting economic effects

I have no dog in this fight ....

I will point out I watched a report 321 million dollars A DAY of economic activity ...

ALL cars leaving the US on the East Coast come through Baltimore

glhs837

Power with Control
I have no dog in this fight ....

I will point out I watched a report 321 million dollars A DAY of economic activity ...

ALL cars leaving the US on the East Coast come through Baltimore
Right but how long do you think that situation is going to obtain?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Francis Scott Key Bridge COLLAPSES, Rumors FLY Of CYBER ATTACK Or DEI Pilot, Black Swan Event FEARED​

glhs837

Power with Control
Never encountered that word being used for that meaning.
Not common usage, I agree.

1000010106.png

:)

DaSDGuy

Of course not, you must judge everything. In this case, knowing a little bit about ships and a bit more about bridges, and a lot more about conspiracy theories, I place the odds of this being some initial stroke in a plan to bring us to our knees at less than 1%. A lot less.

I can think of about a billion ways to cause more damage and lasting economic effects than hijacking a ship and wacking a bridge. And its not even that symbolic. I mean we here in MD like it, but its never been on the national scene.
Like, ummm, promoting EV's with no infrastructure to power them?

GregV814

I read an article that said during WWII, the government conducted horrible studies way beyond the Tuskegee syphilis trials on the unexpecting in remote areas of MARYLAND!!!! Specifically, Chopticon!!!!! Yeah, mind altering water spikes that would create mentally ill generations for years to come. I didnt believe it until I read a few posts here.... Wow.