Key Bridge Collapse In Baltimore

glhs837

Power with Control

So this is the gap you are talking about? Note they never lost audio. Without knowing the architecture of the system, hard to judge the suspiciousness of it all. What they lost was data from the rest of the ships systems. These are not like aircraft black boxes, keep in mind.

Numerous alarms were recorded on the ship’s bridge audio at 1.24am. Around the same time, the voyage data recorder (VDR) stopped recording the vessel’s system data, but was able to continue taping audio from an alternative power source.

Two minutes later at 1.26am, the VDR resumed recording the Dali’s system data and captured steering commands and orders about its rudder.

black dog

Free America
We would because we load what we're told, thats why. Maybe if you lit the wheat on fire you could slightly confuse a heat seeker :)

I spent eight years testing this stuff :) Great job :) Once it had me driving a u-haul with the wing off a Cobra from here to Crane, IN. I was almost hoping to be pulled over and asked what was in the back :)
I love Crane, I shoot at Adderbury 4-6 times a year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So this is the gap you are talking about? Note they never lost audio. Without knowing the architecture of the system, hard to judge the suspiciousness of it all. What they lost was data from the rest of the ships systems. These are not like aircraft black boxes, keep in mind.
I'm very familiar with the older Sperry VDRs and it's no surprise that certain data feeds were interrupted by power failures. MANY channels of data that we handled and fed the VDR would have gone dead with a ship-wide power outage. And they are , as you noted, not at all like aircraft "black boxes". The older ones are the size of a small refrigerator.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
MANY channels of data that we handled and fed the VDR would have gone dead with a ship-wide power outage.

Sounds like a large infrastructure of backup power would be required to all of the sensors to keep the data flowing

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sounds like a large infrastructure of backup power would be required to all of the sensors to keep the data flowing
Huge..... Much of the data is things like hatch closures, bilge alarms, vapor alarms, myriad fluid level sensors, engine monitoring for mains and generators, hydraulic systems, and on and on...literally hundreds of channels.

The integrated bridge has substantial battery backup...UPS. There are regulatory requirements for that and for how long it can sustain the operation of it. However, that does not have much to do with the fact that major machinery can shut down or go "open loop" in the event of ship's power failures.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
something big.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control

So on R/engineering, an engineer that works on a remote mine where they self generate talked about single point failure in power generation.

When you produce your own power, it’s not the same as shore power. (Grid). Especially when running a ton of motor loads, as breakers are sized for inrush on motor loads (oversized) so if the motor overloads don’t immediately trip on a line to line… the main gets knocked out.

There are startco relays that should allow the system to run on one ground fault given the impedance to ground isn’t higher than a pre-selected value. A line to line fault, a hard enough ground fault, or more than one ground fault in the distribution will knock your main out in many cases, because of the oversized motor breakers on the branch ccts.

The best way to get around this is to have UPS systems for critical systems, or several back up gens for separate critical systems. If their back up gen feeds the same distribution, once started would be closing into the same line to line failure somewhere in the distribution system, you would have to identify the fault and isolate the faulted cct before start up again, or hope that closing into it literally blows the fault apart.

Having separate generators and automatic transfer switches for separate systems would allow you to start up portions of the distribution while simultaneously isolating the trouble section of the distribution.

TLDR: you need more than one failsafe, one back-up gen doesn’t protect you if you can’t immediately isolate parts of the distribution. Branch cct protection doesn’t always protect you

Source: I’m a maintenance electrician at a remote mine, we generate our own power and this happens to us on a regular basis.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Interesting article from the railroad point of view.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Interesting article from the railroad point of view.
Didn't even mention the train tracks that Slow Joe said he'd traveled on. Wuht's up with that??

SamSpade

A cyber attack - is credible. An outright terrorist attack by the crew - not credible - they tried everything at their disposal to stop the crash.

glhs837

Power with Control
A cyber attack - is credible. An outright terrorist attack by the crew - not credible - they tried everything at their disposal to stop the crash.

Its only credible if there is a remote pathway into the system such that you can cause the effects seen. Like the threat of hacking overriding a vehicles control systems. Those always seem to rely on having physical access or some other bypass thats only open to NSA level actors.

glhs837

Power with Control

Ah yes, the I-94 corridor!!!!! You have SHUT IT DOWN!!!!

It adds about an hour to the journey. Not much of a shutdown.

I have my own intel sources. Cant tell you who they are, but they are further inside than hers and they say her sources are telling her what she wants to hear so they can laugh at her.

Man, you gotta surface and look at the larger picture. This doesnt really shut down anything but the port of baltimore, and that only for a few weeks.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Its only credible if there is a remote pathway into the system such that you can cause the effects seen. Like the threat of hacking overriding a vehicles control systems. Those always seem to rely on having physical access or some other bypass thats only open to NSA level actors.
It was a Stuxnet attack I tell ya.