Labradoodle info, please...

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks, y'all, for all your responses, opinions, and advice. I guess I went about this bassackwards. I should have posted this thread before making a decision. :doh: Now, I have reservations about my decision. Daisy was born on March 8th. I have already connected with her even though my daughter is the one who met her and picked her out. I have looked at petfinder many times. I was just focused on a labradoodle. The suggestion of a standard poodle is a good one. Yes, I will be upset if my daughter is allergic to Daisy. She did have a reaction (medium on the spectrum), but we just attributed it to all the dogs, horses, etc. on the farm, plus the blanket the pups were brought out in had a lot of dog hair. Thanks again for all the feedback. I have some thinking to do. :smile:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Thanks, y'all, for all your responses, opinions, and advice. I guess I went about this bassackwards. I should have posted this thread before making a decision. :doh: Now, I have reservations about my decision. Daisy was born on March 8th. I have already connected with her even though my daughter is the one who met her and picked her out. I have looked at petfinder many times. I was just focused on a labradoodle. The suggestion of a standard poodle is a good one. Yes, I will be upset if my daughter is allergic to Daisy. She did have a reaction (medium on the spectrum), but we just attributed it to all the dogs, horses, etc. on the farm, plus the blanket the pups were brought out in had a lot of dog hair. Thanks again for all the feedback. I have some thinking to do. :smile:

chances are if she had a reaction to her then... she will have one when she comes home.

Im sorry to have dropped all of this on you.. but I do know that you do/have/will take care of your pets.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I have some thinking to do. :smile:
Certainly do not base your final decision from responses here. If you like the pup, get her.

I found my Great Dane through Facebook (she'll be 2 on Saturday). Her parents do not have papers, nor were they health tested. None of that mattered to me, but to some it does. She is the sweetest, most loveable girl. She sheds like crazy, and I was not prepared for that. :lol:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Certainly do not base your final decision from responses here. If you like the pup, get her.

I found my Great Dane through Facebook (she'll be 2 on Saturday). Her parents do not have papers, nor were they health tested. None of that mattered to me, but to some it does. She is the sweetest, most loveable girl. She sheds like crazy, and I was not prepared for that. :lol:

omg... my hounds are worse than the gsd's

lovinmaryland

:yeahthat: If you like her get her!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:yeahthat: My husband is allergic to dogs and we have 2 boxers....that sleep with us !!! He just has an inhaler and we vacuum... a lot.

I'm allergic to both dogs and cats. More cats. I suck it up, take medicine, get frequent sinus infections, cough, and curse their hair. I wouldn't trade it!!

spinner

Wait a minute... the puppies were brought out on a blanket, did your daughter see the parents? Did she see where the puppies are kept? Was she allowed in the kennel area at all? You should be able to see all of that and more.

mamatutu

mama to two
Well...I cannot tell a lie. Daughter didn't see the mom. We were so focused on her not going in the house because Margo (the breeder) said she has had people with bad allergies come to her and she doesn't like to be responsible for people going in her "doggy" house and having an attack. I know, I know. Dumb. I did call her today to ask her to send a pic of the mom. I really want to keep Daisy. If we are not satisfied with the situation by Easter weekend, we will go to the breeder when we go for dinner at my daughter's house in Olney. Thanks again for all the responses, advice, and encouragement! :smile:

Btw, I would love to have my bro's dog, Gino the malinois, too! :lol:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, I think of choosing a dog like I think of choosing a husband: you don't just take any mutt out of the pound. Cats are one thing because they're all pretty much the same, but dogs have personality and characteristics. I don't know Apollo's mom and dad, or even exactly how old he is. We fell in love and that was that.

:shrug:

mamatutu

mama to two
See, I think of choosing a dog like I think of choosing a husband: you don't just take any mutt out of the pound. Cats are one thing because they're all pretty much the same, but dogs have personality and characteristics. I don't know Apollo's mom and dad, or even exactly how old he is. We fell in love and that was that.

Funny and very sweet!

Even though I have reservations about this breeder now, and I haven't physically met Daisy, I am in love with her (so is daughter) and can't wait to bring her home. I just hope I don't find out anything really awful about the breeder. My husband has been diligently researching from all angles, and has not come up with anything negative about the breeder. They even have mutual friends on FB! :lol: It is a done deal unless something comes up that changes things.

JoeR

Funny and very sweet!

Even though I have reservations about this breeder now, and I haven't physically met Daisy, I am in love with her (so is daughter) and can't wait to bring her home. I just hope I don't find out anything really awful about the breeder. My husband has been diligently researching from all angles, and has not come up with anything negative about the breeder. They even have mutual friends on FB! :lol: It is a done deal unless something comes up that changes things.

As you can see from my picture, I have 2 doodles. They are both goldendoodles. One is a F-1 and one is a F-1B. They both turn 9 next month. My boy(F-1B) is local from Callaway Kennels. My girl is a rescue we found on Petfinder. They are both great dogs. Like all dogs they need proper training. I get a lot of complements when ever I take them out because they're better behaved than most peoples kids. I just read through all of the replies and they're giving some great info. I looked at this breeders site and like the rest have a lot of reservations. One big thing I noticed is no mention anywhere about a giving a health guarantree. All reputable doodle breeders I know do. Also like I tell anyone who asks about doodle breeders is if they say they guarantree a no shedding dog, run away. If you would like more info PM me.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
As you can see from my picture, I have 2 doodles. They are both goldendoodles. One is a F-1 and one is a F-1B. They both turn 9 next month. My boy(F-1B) is local from Callaway Kennels. My girl is a rescue we found on Petfinder. They are both great dogs. Like all dogs they need proper training. I get a lot of complements when ever I take them out because they're better behaved than most peoples kids. I just read through all of the replies and they're giving some great info. I looked at this breeders site and like the rest have a lot of reservations. One big thing I noticed is no mention anywhere about a giving a health guarantree. All reputable doodle breeders I know do. Also like I tell anyone who asks about doodle breeders is if they say they guarantree a no shedding dog, run away. If you would like more info PM me.

:yay:

mamatutu

mama to two

This is the part in the contract about health: Seller guarantees puppy is free of hereditary defects. Within 3 days of delivery of puppy, purchaser shall take the dog for a health check. If anything is found to be wrong, puppy may be returned to seller and seller will replace puppy, or give a refund.

Is that acceptable wording in the contract for health guarantee or should there be more to it? Also, it says that seller will produce list of shots given, worming, and vet exam report. Thanks for your response, Joe. Your pups are adorable!

Last edited:

JoeR

This is the part in the contract about health: Seller guarantees puppy is free of hereditary defects. Within 3 days of delivery of puppy, purchaser shall take the dog for a health check. If anything is found to be wrong, puppy may be returned to seller and seller will replace puppy, or give a refund.

Is that acceptable wording in the contract for health guarantee or should there be more to it? Also, it says that seller will produce list of shots given, worming, and vet exam report. Thanks for your response, Joe. Your pups are adorable!

If that's all it says I would not buy a puppy from them. Not much of a guarantee. I would want to see results of health testing of the parents. Goldendoodles and Labradoodles can develop all the same health problems as goldens and labs. Check out this website (www.doodlekisses.com) if you want to learn more and do research about doodles. It also has links to the two biggest reputable doodle rescues. And thanks for the nice comment on Gus and Lilly.

spinner

Seeing the parents [or at least the mother] is more about seeing the her condition and how the dogs are kept. Puppies are susceptible to a lot of things, among them coccidia and giardia. Puppy buying 101, always see where the puppies are being raised. You [hopefully] are going to have a companion for a long time, start out with the healthiest puppy possible.

mamatutu

mama to two
Seeing the parents [or at least the mother] is more about seeing the her condition and how the dogs are kept. Puppies are susceptible to a lot of things, among them coccidia and giardia. Puppy buying 101, always see where the puppies are being raised. You [hopefully] are going to have a companion for a long time, start out with the healthiest puppy possible.

I totally agree with what you are saying. When adopting from a shelter, you never know. You get what you get, and you love them until their last day. I know I really didn't go about this the best way, but I feel Daisy is my dog, for better or worse. Down the road, maybe I can give advice from experience. Like my daughter says, you are giving a puppy a home. Yes, I am conflicted, and I agree this breeder is questionable. I have talked to her multiple times, and she seems to be a ditz. I will consider this a rescue. I will get what I get. Daisy Doodle Dog is my future fur baby. The first week of May can not come soon enough. Again, thanks for all replies to my thread. I appreciate y'all more than y'all will ever know.

Last edited:

JoeR

I totally agree with what you are saying. When adopting from a shelter, you never know. You get what you get, and you love them until their last day. I know I really didn't go about this the best way, but I feel Daisy is my dog, for better or worse. Down the road, maybe I can give advice from experience. Like my daughter says, you are giving a puppy a home. Yes, I am conflicted, and I agree this breeder is questionable. I have talked to her multiple times, and she seems to be a ditz. I will consider this a rescue. I will get what I get. Daisy Doodle Dog is my future fur baby. The first week of May can not come soon enough. Again, thanks for all replies to my thread. I appreciate y'all more than y'all will ever know.

Definately check out doodlekisses. It's a huge, over 14,000 members, worldwide doodle community. Lots of great info. Hope to see you there.