Laundry Room Refit

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Doesn't appear to be, that WTF pipe through the cut stud seems to be the dryer vent pipe
Okay, I didn't look at all of the pictures and now I see what you are talking about. Either some form of HVAC vent or a cage for his pet racoon.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
To bad the laundry room has to be there, thats some nice extra garage space!

Also is that a HVAC vent in the upper right on the brick?
Even with the laundry room, I still have room for 2 cars, my shop, storage....

Yes. the other side of the brick wall is my bedroom, the vent is from the HVAC. Keeps the room pretty close in temp to the rest of the house. And again, yes, the WTF pipe is the dryer exhaust vent to the outside.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
To bad the laundry room has to be there, thats some nice extra garage space!
Actually, all of the houses around here were built to the same floor plans. All the other houses have the laundry room inside. Mine is the only one to move it outside, and use the laundry room space for a 3rd bathroom.

General Lee

Its nice to have clean slate to work with now. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! The good thing is you can still hook the washer and dryer back up if you need to do laundry, and can still work around them until its floor time.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, came across my first real aw crap.
My plan was to just lay another layer of sheetrock over the ceiling, cover the faults, make a nice clean finish. Went up into the attic to pull the wires up and measure the joist distances. Found on 2 joists, the sheetrock wasn't even touching the joist, almost a 1/2" between them. Looked like the nails were pulling out, figgered either someone stepped on the ceiling or the sheer weight of the plaster/sheetrock was just pulling away. So decision time: continue with the plan and use the new ceiling to pull the old stuff back into place, or tear it down and do it right. Considered how much easier it would be to hang the sheetrock, and do all the wiring with it torn down. So that's what I did. And glad I did.
151579 151581

Not a major crisis, easily fixed. But working over my head yanking a ceiling down does nothing for the back and shoulders.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Thought about it, but the joist doesn't have much to grab into, breaks up. Looks like it may have been dry roted before it got installed. A lot of the joists looked like re-used stuff. Going to splice it and add a king jack.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Fixed the joist yesterday and got one wall put up today, took all day. I got a late start after running errands, then took my time building the wall, measuring every stud to fit properly under the existing joist. Tomorrow I'll anchor the base plate.
151688 151689