Lawyer Info

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Thats nonsense. Do you really believe this STATE is so big that the attorney's from St. Mary's County don't know the attorney's from P.G. or Calvert? An attorney's responsibility is to their client. In most of these cases, the fee's for the attorney is contingent on the money received from the claim against the defendant. Do you think because an attorney is "friends" with an attorney from the board of Ed...they wouldn't properly and aggressively defend their own interests?

A lot of agreements are made on the golf course, so to say that it never happens? I agree that it is not the norm but over the years I've heard some stories. Surprisingly some of the lawyers she has called say they won't take on these cases. I did a search on court records and was surprised to see that a lot of cases were indeed taken on by lawyers outside of the counties. All this information has been great and I appreciate the feedback.:yay:

johnjrval424

Again, it is nonsense. A lawyer who is in a tort complaint against a government agency, doesn't care that he/she is going to battle against another lawyer. That is what they are trained to do. Lawyers are in it for the sake of the argument, or the deal. A lawyer who takes your case, usually has some contingent about being paid upon the outcome of the case. That lawyer doesn't care that a person who he/she has a social connection to may be on the agency which they are suing?. I know this because I know many of the lawyers in the county. I am often questioned in a confrontational manner by attorney's I consider my friends. I don't take it personally nor do they. They are working for their client. That is what a lawyer does. This "good ole boy" system may have been rampant at one point down here, but it doesn't exist today. You may be doing yourself an injustice by attempting to get an attorney from out of the county. They don't necessarily know the tempermants and the quirks of the Judges.
Respectfully, smcop, it does benefit the litigant sometimes to go outside of the county for assistance. There tends to be complacency when you are working with people you know. Not in every case, but in some cases, "settlements" are encouraged because they don't want to take the time to litigate. A person outside of the county would have a little more objective point of view versus someone who is "connected."

Again, not in all cases, but sometimes it does pay to check around. I have worked for many attorneys (trust me on that point) so I have a little bit experience in this area.

smcop

A lot of agreements are made on the golf course, so to say that it never happens? I agree that it is not the norm but over the years I've heard some stories. Surprisingly some of the lawyers she has called say they won't take on these cases. I did a search on court records and was surprised to see that a lot of cases were indeed taken on by lawyers outside of the counties. All this information has been great and I appreciate the feedback.:yay:
Deals are made on the golf course and at lunch and on the phone. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Making a deal out of court usually means an amicable settlement for everyone. Going into a court of law with our jury system sometimes is a crap shoot.

smcop

Respectfully, smcop, it does benefit the litigant sometimes to go outside of the county for assistance. There tends to be complacency when you are working with people you know. Not in every case, but in some cases, "settlements" are encouraged because they don't want to take the time to litigate. A person outside of the county would have a little more objective point of view versus someone who is "connected."

Again, not in all cases, but sometimes it does pay to check around. I have worked for many attorneys (trust me on that point) so I have a little bit experience in this area.
But here is the flaw in that line of thinking. If a lawyer is getting paid based on the amount of damages they recover from the agency, then isn't it in the LAWYERS best interest to settle for the maximum amount?

I'm not saying that in county lawyers are always the best, I'm arguing the point that one should go outside of the count because it is ALWAYS better, or because of some sort of perceived conflict of intrest.

angieanderic

Does anyone know of a lawyer in southern Md by the name of Dan Gunther and if so is he any good?
I have a friend looking for a lawyer who will take on the school board here in southern Md, she is having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :howdy:

He handled our adoption very well,on the other hand we wanted a shark type guy,due to the animosity of the situation. He got the job done for 600.00,no problems whatsoever.

johnjrval424

But here is the flaw in that line of thinking. If a lawyer is getting paid based on the amount of damages they recover from the agency, then isn't it in the LAWYERS best interest to settle for the maximum amount?

I'm not saying that in county lawyers are always the best, I'm arguing the point that one should go outside of the count because it is ALWAYS better, or because of some sort of perceived conflict of intrest.

And here is the flaw in your philosophy - better to keep one's friends/colleagues and take a smaller settlement than to tick someone off and have to deal with them again and again and again...see what I mean?

I understand what you are saying but, believe me, it happens more than you realize. After all, they are attorneys - they don't need the money quite like you and I.

smcop

And here is the flaw in your philosophy - better to keep one's friends/colleagues and take a smaller settlement than to tick someone off and have to deal with them again and again and again...see what I mean?

I understand what you are saying but, believe me, it happens more than you realize. After all, they are attorneys - they don't need the money quite like you and I.
I disagree. I know most of the lawyers in this county. Some, that are friends of mine, have grilled me on the witness stand. It's an adversarial system and we all know that. We are grown ups and can take it. The other part of this is, I assure you, most attorney's in St. Mary's County are just as friendly with most attorney's in Prince Georges County. It isn't that big of a community.

And the attorney's do need the money. Some of them make quite a bit of money, but they also spend quite a bit of money. Who amongst us ever has enough?

johnjrval424

I disagree. I know most of the lawyers in this county. Some, that are friends of mine, have grilled me on the witness stand. It's an adversarial system and we all know that. We are grown ups and can take it. The other part of this is, I assure you, most attorney's in St. Mary's County are just as friendly with most attorney's in Prince Georges County. It isn't that big of a community.

And the attorney's do need the money. Some of them make quite a bit of money, but they also spend quite a bit of money. Who amongst us ever has enough?

Okay - let's just agree to disagree. Just remember one thing - no one ever knows what goes on behind closed doors except for the parties in attendance. Irregardless of the appearance they may give in public, I've been privy to conversations behind closed doors. I do have a good idea how most (not all, and I'm not familiar with St. Mary's versus Prince George's or Anne Arundel but generally an attorney is an attorney is an attorney) attorneys operate. Yes, they will interrogate you on a witness stand - that is their job. However, how the rest of the case plays out is usually between the parties involved - not the witnesses. Sometimes I think attorneys should be nominated for Oscars for their performances in the courtroom...

keekee

Again, it is nonsense. A lawyer who is in a tort complaint against a government agency, doesn't care that he/she is going to battle against another lawyer. That is what they are trained to do. Lawyers are in it for the sake of the argument, or the deal. A lawyer who takes your case, usually has some contingent about being paid upon the outcome of the case. That lawyer doesn't care that a person who he/she has a social connection to may be on the agency which they are suing?. I know this because I know many of the lawyers in the county. I am often questioned in a confrontational manner by attorney's I consider my friends. I don't take it personally nor do they. They are working for their client. That is what a lawyer does. This "good ole boy" system may have been rampant at one point down here, but it doesn't exist today. You may be doing yourself an injustice by attempting to get an attorney from out of the county. They don't necessarily know the tempermants and the quirks of the Judges.

Sue Anne would not represent me in my divorce because, although she did not know my ex husband, she was friends with his family. I believe there are many good lawyers in STM County, but you are uninformed if you think there is absolutely no good ole boy network here.

smcop

Sue Anne would not represent me in my divorce because, although she did not know my ex husband, she was friends with his family. I believe there are many good lawyers in STM County, but you are uninformed if you think there is absolutely no good ole boy network here.
You are proving my point. Sue Anne Armitage didn't take your case because she saw a conflict. Lawyers here are smart enough to know if they should recuse themself or not. There was no back door deal with the ex's family even though she knew them. She did the right thing. She didn't represent you. So what now? She's the only responsible attorney? You my friend are kidding yourself. She told you the truth. By your assumption, if there were a good ole boy network, she would have taken your case and screwed you over. She didn't though. She told you she couldn't represent you, and didn't take your money. I by the way, am not from St. Mary's County.

Last edited:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
You are proving my point. Sue Anne Armitage didn't take your case because she saw a conflict. Lawyers here are smart enough to know if they should recuse themself or not. There was no back door deal with the ex's family even though she knew them. She did the right thing. She didn't represent them. So what now? She's the only honarable attorney? You my friend are kidding yourself. She told you the truth. By your assumption, if there were a good ole boy network, she would have taken your case and screwed you over. I by the way, am not from St. Mary's County.

So what your saying is Sue Anne didn't want to conflict with the good 'ole boys and have to deal with who she knew grew up in the County?

The Law is the Law.

Etred101

There is a "fair market value" to any case. Ie: what would be the result after a trial. Not sure locals always have the advantage. You should select an attorney in whom you are confident.

smcop

There is a "fair market value" to any case. Ie: what would be the result after a trial. Not sure locals always have the advantage. You should select an attorney in whom you are confident.
I agree with that statement. My issue is when people say you MUST go outside of the county to get a good deal. Quite frankly, if I had a criminal legal issue, I wouldn't use a county attorney solely because the best criminal attorney in the state isn't in this county. But it has nothing to do with the county itself.

johnjrval424

I agree with that statement. My issue is when people say you MUST go outside of the county to get a good deal. Quite frankly, if I had a criminal legal issue, I wouldn't use a county attorney solely because the best criminal attorney in the state isn't in this county. But it has nothing to do with the county itself.

I never said that - I said you should choose wisely but that the legal community can be very small at times in terms of who knows who. Whether you want to believe it or not, there are deals struck many times and things negotiated because an attorney knows the other side. It's a gentleman's game at times and unless you are privy to those conversations, you really don't understand how the game works.

smcop

I never said that - I said you should choose wisely but that the legal community can be very small at times in terms of who knows who. Whether you want to believe it or not, there are deals struck many times and things negotiated because an attorney knows the other side. It's a gentleman's game at times and unless you are privy to those conversations, you really don't understand how the game works.
Of course there are deals struck! That is the way the game works. There's nothing wrong with that. It saves time, money and it also limits the clients exposure to having a jury possibly side against them.

keekee

:yeahthat:
Nobody ever said that there are no good lawyers in STM County. Nobody ever said that you have to go outside of the county to find a good lawyer. It was simply pointed out that it might be an option if this person could not find someone in county to take the case. The point I was trying to make about Sue Anne, is that she DID feel bias because she knew this family, and maybe that's the reason that the lawyers in county won't take the case. Just maybe...?

But I still think there's a good ole boy network. :flowers:

smcop

Nobody ever said that there are no good lawyers in STM County. Nobody ever said that you have to go outside of the county to find a good lawyer. It was simply pointed out that it might be an option if this person could not find someone in county to take the case. The point I was trying to make about Sue Anne, is that she DID feel bias because she knew this family, and maybe that's the reason that the lawyers in county won't take the case. Just maybe...?

But there are plenty of lawyers who do take the cases! Explain to me how this good ole boy network works?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I think it shows integrity on Sue Ann's part.

Perhaps, if the person she was representing didn't think she did the best she could, she would use it against Sue Ann and say she didn't do the best she could have because she knew the ex-husbands family.

Best to remove herself from all doubt.

JMHO. :shrug: