Lawyer Info

bad1032

remember most of the Lawyers get 1/3 of whatever you get, So if your case is worth merit someone should jump on it.

smcop

remember most of the Lawyers get 1/3 of whatever you get, So if your case is worth merit someone should jump on it.
That is exactly my point. An attorney is out for the money. They aren't going to take it easy on another attorney because they are friends. And of course deals are made in an office. I can't believe this guy is a paralegal. That is how the system is supposed to work. If every case went to trial nothing would get done. An attorney is supposed to negotiate a deal, otherwise it's a crap shoot in front of a judge or jury.

johnjrval424

That is exactly my point. An attorney is out for the money. They aren't going to take it easy on another attorney because they are friends. And of course deals are made in an office. I can't believe this guy is a paralegal. That is how the system is supposed to work. If every case went to trial nothing would get done. An attorney is supposed to negotiate a deal, otherwise it's a crap shoot in front of a judge or jury.

:killingme:doh:

awpitt

Main Streeter
What is your experience? Do you work in the legal profession? Are you in the courts often? I'm just curious.
No and no. But that's irrelevant. I am friends with a few of the local lawyers and with members of the BOE and I know that lawyers and BOE members are friends. Yes, lawyers are out there earning a living but that doesn't change the fact that if someone wants to go to court against the BOE and they approach a lawyer to take the case, that lawyer might face the possibility of being in an adversarial situation with a friend of theirs who is a member of the BOE and this could leave some bad blood between them when all is said and done. This might not always be the case but the possibility is much higher if a person hires a local lawyer as opposed to hiring a lawyer from up the road. I’m not in any way saying local lawyers are less capable. I am saying that they are human it could be difficult for them to choose between making some money at the cost of ruining a friendship.

smcop

No and no. But that's irrelevant. I am friends with a few of the local lawyers and with members of the BOE and I know that lawyers and BOE members are friends. Yes, lawyers are out there earning a living but that doesn't change the fact that if someone wants to go to court against the BOE and they approach a lawyer to take the case, that lawyer might face the possibility of being in an adversarial situation with a friend of theirs who is a member of the BOE and this could leave some bad blood between them when all is said and done. This might not always be the case but the possibility is much higher if a person hires a local lawyer as opposed to hiring a lawyer from up the road. I’m not in any way saying local lawyers are less capable. I am saying that they are human it could be difficult for them to choose between making some money at the cost of ruining a friendship.
Well, I dispute your contention that lawyers are human. (lol joke) This is a grown up business, and it is conducted by grown ups. Don't you think the judges sitting on the bench that are going to hear the case know the people on the BOE? They were once local lawyers.

My point is, an attorney knows if they have a conflict. If they do, they don't take the case. If they don't they take the case. When you assume because of geographics, you would be better off going with someone, then you are making the wrong assumption.

I have sat through numerous civil trials when I worked in judicial. I have also testified in numerous criminal cases. Lawyers who I consider friends have grilled me on the stand. I don't take offense, they are doing their job. Do you think the people on the BOE would not understand an attorney doing their job?

It really is ridiculous. The reason I say that, is because I know local attorney's who have represented their clients vigorously against government agencies.

I expect your a grown up and deal with grown up decisions. These attorneys are professionals. They are not going to allow personal feelings to get in the way of their ability to make a living, or to adhere to the oath they took. If they have a conflict, they will recuse themselves.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Well, I dispute your contention that lawyers are human. (lol joke) This is a grown up business, and it is conducted by grown ups. Don't you think the judges sitting on the bench that are going to hear the case know the people on the BOE? They were once local lawyers.

My point is, an attorney knows if they have a conflict. If they do, they don't take the case. If they don't they take the case. When you assume because of geographics, you would be better off going with someone, then you are making the wrong assumption.

I have sat through numerous civil trials when I worked in judicial. I have also testified in numerous criminal cases. Lawyers who I consider friends have grilled me on the stand. I don't take offense, they are doing their job. Do you think the people on the BOE would not understand an attorney doing their job?

It really is ridiculous. The reason I say that, is because I know local attorney's who have represented their clients vigorously against government agencies.

I expect your a grown up and deal with grown up decisions. These attorneys are professionals. They are not going to allow personal feelings to get in the way of their ability to make a living, or to adhere to the oath they took. If they have a conflict, they will recuse themselves.

I had asked my friend how many local lawyers has she contacted, perhaps 20+ she said??? So far she said none would take on a case against the BOE. Not sure, but when I did a search on cases I found one local that did, Palumbo??, but the others were mostly north of the counties.

smcop

I had asked my friend how many local lawyers has she contacted, perhaps 20+ she said??? So far she said none would take on a case against the BOE. Not sure, but when I did a search on cases I found one local that did, Palumbo??, but the others were mostly north of the counties.
Probably because your friend doesn't have a case, not because they are local attorneys. How many out of county lawyers have agreed to take the case?

SouthernMdRocks

Probably because your friend doesn't have a case, not because they are local attorneys. How many out of county lawyers have agreed to take the case?

Well I don't think they could have determined whether it was a case or not when the conversations never got that far as to discussing the merits of the case. She told me that they just said they won't take the case. I think even one office said there are a lot of local attorney's that are on the board in some capacity or another. Now don't shoot the messenger, that was what she told me she was dealing with. As for the case, I think she has some good merits to it and things that happened weren't as they should have been,,, but my opinion here isn't relevant. Now as I stated twice on my posts, I can possible believe that to be the case when I can't seem to find any local attorney's in previous court records with the exception of Palumbo that actually took on a case with the local BOE. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for the information.

smcop

Well I don't think they could have determined whether it was a case or not when the conversations never got that far as to discussing the merits of the case. She told me that they just said they won't take the case. I think even one office said there are a lot of local attorney's that are on the board in some capacity or another. Now don't shoot the messenger, that was what she told me she was dealing with. As for the case, I think she has some good merits to it and things that happened weren't as they should have been,,, but my opinion here isn't relevant. Now as I stated twice on my posts, I can possible believe that to be the case when I can't seem to find any local attorney's in previous court records with the exception of Palumbo that actually took on a case with the local BOE. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for the information.
I just spoke to two local attorney's both prominent. One has held public office the other has run for public office. I asked if they would be worried about taking a case where a tort claim was presented against the BOE. Both stated they would have no problem taking the case. PM me with the facts of the case and I will provide you with their information.

bad1032

I find it hard to beleive she contacted that many, There is more to the story then she is telling you, If the facts are that good, then an Attorney would take the case, Its called PAYDAY. IF the case is that good and strong she could even represent herself and keep 100%.:lmao:

SouthernMdRocks

I find it hard to beleive she contacted that many, There is more to the story then she is telling you, If the facts are that good, then an Attorney would take the case, Its called PAYDAY. IF the case is that good and strong she could even represent herself and keep 100%.:lmao:

Silly you to assume that! I believe she contacted that and maybe more..:lmao:
I'll refrain from specifics as it is a long going problem,,,too much to put into few words, not to mention, I can't find my glasses to see what I am posted!!

SouthernMdRocks

I just spoke to two local attorney's both prominent. One has held public office the other has run for public office. I asked if they would be worried about taking a case where a tort claim was presented against the BOE. Both stated they would have no problem taking the case. PM me with the facts of the case and I will provide you with their information.
Please give me their names and I will pass it on to her.

smcop

Please give me their names and I will pass it on to her.
I would rather you give me the circumstance to determine if it is worth their while. They are after all friends, if this is a b.s. trivial suit, then I don't want to waste their time. I asked them a hypothetical question, I don't want them mad at me for referring some nutjob.

SouthernMdRocks

I would rather you give me the circumstance to determine if it is worth their while. They are after all friends, if this is a b.s. trivial suit, then I don't want to waste their time. I asked them a hypothetical question, I don't want them mad at me for referring some nutjob.

You know to this point I can understand your position,, but her business is not for me to put out to public or to you privately. And until now I thought you made sense until you feel the need to weed out cases for your friends. If they are competent, they can do that without your help. Wow, I am still taken back.

smcop

You know to this point I can understand your position,, but her business is not for me to put out to public or to you privately. And until now I thought you made sense until you feel the need to weed out cases for your friends. If they are competent, they can do that without your help. Wow, I am still taken back.
Well, tell her to keep looking then. You started this thread by asking about Dan Guenther, now your onto she has contacted 20 lawyers...blah blah blah...I don't trust you enough to give my friends names here, without first finding out if this is a real situation. They both know I have inquired, and I am not about to give their names to someone who may not have a legitimate claim, as it appears to be, seeing how 20 local lawyers have not taken the case, and the only one you mention that has taken a case is a lawyer outside of SMC. Palumbo is in charles.

SouthernMdRocks

Well, tell her to keep looking then. You started this thread by asking about Dan Guenther, now your onto she has contacted 20 lawyers...blah blah blah...I don't trust you enough to give my friends names here, without first finding out if this is a real situation. They both know I have inquired, and I am not about to give their names to someone who may not have a legitimate claim, as it appears to be, seeing how 20 local lawyers have not taken the case, and the only one you mention that has taken a case is a lawyer outside of SMC. Palumbo is in charles.

Actually I think Palumbo is in PF, but nonetheless, yes I asked about Gunther for her, she asked if I knew about him, I did not so I asked. I gave her the feedback and the names of those recommended to help her out. I asked how things were going with the calls, that was her response, blah, blah.. I don't need your trust and I think it odd that you feel the need to determine the merits of a case for your friends, but ok! Just in case you don't understand, her childs issues are private, she only wanted a recommendation. As for money, I don't think that is her main objective. She is worried about her sons well being. But thanks anyhow for whatever you have provided.

SouthernMdRocks

Does anyone know of a lawyer in southern Md by the name of Dan Gunther and if so is he any good?
I have a friend looking for a lawyer who will take on the school board here in southern Md, she is having a hard time finding one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :howdy:

Thanks for the names given, she got a call back from Bryan Dugan I believe..He had good recommendations.:howdy:

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
There are plenty of good attorney's from St. Mary's County. I'm not one to generally defend attorney's, but it makes me crazy sometimes when people say they would go out of the county to get an attorney. There are crap attorney's in and out of St. Mary's as well as good attorney's in and ou of St. Mary's.

Well, I just started reading this thread... and I am not going to finish it, nor am I going to weed through to see who responded to you, but let me give you a bit of legal advice in southern maryland since you seem to be a bit misunderstanding...

As one attorney told me after searching high and h**l water for a local attorney to defend me with a civil case against this local govt and a local attorney firm... he said, "we all swim in the same pond. Any one local would be stabbing another local in the back. Go outside the region if you don't want to get ripped off and waste your time." Needless to say, I left the country because of employment reasons... and never followed thru... but I agree, go outside of the region.. not just the county... you'll stand a better chance...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, I just started reading this thread... and I am not going to finish it, nor am I going to weed through to see who responded to you, but let me give you a bit of legal advice in southern maryland since you seem to be a bit misunderstanding...

As one attorney told me after searching high and h**l water for a local attorney to defend me with a civil case against this local govt and a local attorney firm... he said, "we all swim in the same pond. Any one local would be stabbing another local in the back. Go outside the region if you don't want to get ripped off and waste your time." Needless to say, I left the country because of employment reasons... and never followed thru... but I agree, go outside of the region.. not just the county... you'll stand a better chance...

What country did you go to for new employment?