Lawyer Info

smcop

I think it shows integrity on Sue Ann's part.

Perhaps, if the person she was representing didn't think she did the best she could, she would use it against Sue Ann and say she didn't do the best she could have because she knew the ex-husbands family.

Best to remove herself from all doubt.

JMHO. :shrug:

Well said Rose. The original implication was that a county attorney is not to be trusted...and that simply is not the case.

keekee

Again, I think things are getting twisted. I never said anything negative about Sue Anne. I think she's awesome, which is why I wanted her to represent me! I was just pointing out that lawyers DO sometimes feel torn if they know the people they are going up against, and I thought that perhaps that was why the person in the original post was having trouble finding a lawyer to take the case in STM County... which was why I suggested that they might have better luck going out of the county. I do not think it's a bad thing that they might feel this bias, and I think it does show great character that Sue Anne was honest about it. I think I'm being taken out of context. I wasn't relating the good ole boy thing with Sue Ann either, or anyone in particular. I just think it probably exists in some from in any area.

smcop

Again, I think things are getting twisted. I never said anything negative about Sue Anne. I think she's awesome, which is why I wanted her to represent me! I was just pointing out that lawyers DO sometimes feel torn if they know the people they are going up against, and I thought that perhaps that was why the person in the original post was having trouble finding a lawyer to take the case in STM County... which was why I suggested that they might have better luck going out of the county. I do not think it's a bad thing that they might feel this bias, and I think it does show great character that Sue Anne was honest about it. I think I'm being taken out of context. I wasn't relating the good ole boy thing with Sue Ann either, or anyone in particular. I just think it probably exists in some from in any area.
The original poster wasn't having problems finding a lawyer, they were asking about Dan Guenther. Someone later said if it is a county agency you are fighting, go outside because none of the attorney's in the county would fairly represent them. Perhaps your arguing the wrong point.

queencity28

The original poster wasn't having problems finding a lawyer, they were asking about Dan Guenther. Someone later said if it is a county agency you are fighting, go outside because none of the attorney's in the county would fairly represent them. Perhaps your arguing the wrong point.

That was I. Never once did I say anything about Sue or Dan. I just warned the original poster that not all lawyers around here are in it for your best interest. You can deny it all you want, because you have obviously become the St. Mary's County Lawyer Crusader. Bottom line, if you feel like you would not run into any conflict with a county lawyer, then by all means, go for it. But if you are suing a local entity or someone with a prominent role in the community, your best bet is to find a lawyer from outside of the area to make sure that there is no conflict of interest.

smcop

That was I. Never once did I say anything about Sue or Dan. I just warned the original poster that not all lawyers around here are in it for your best interest. You can deny it all you want, because you have obviously become the St. Mary's County Lawyer Crusader. Bottom line, if you feel like you would not run into any conflict with a county lawyer, then by all means, go for it. But if you are suing a local entity or someone with a prominent role in the community, your best bet is to find a lawyer from outside of the area to make sure that there is no conflict of interest.
Well I guess your mpd is kee kee, because I was responding to this comment;

"I have used Kim DiGiovanni - she is very good & her office is in Bowie.
Your friend might have more luck getting a lawyer who is not from St. Mary's County."

In that comment, it indicates that there ins't competent lawyers here in St. Mary's County.

As far as gettning lawyers from outside the county to avoid a conflict, I don't believe you understand how small the legal comminty is in the STATE of Maryland. Do you really believe that attorney's from P.G. County aren't going to know people on the board of education here in St. Mary's County. Your logic doesn't work. I stand by my original statement that an attorney is out to make a living. Some are good and some are bad. You seem to be the crusader against hiring lawyers in St. Mary's County.
You no longer live in St. Mary's County, therefore I doubt you really know what your talking about.

I strongly suggest a guy named mark palombo, im not sure if that last name is spelled right, the firm is called phillis upton and palombo, he has some good connections with the states attorny, and got me saved a couple of times.

Etred101

I strongly suggest a guy named mark palombo, im not sure if that last name is spelled right, the firm is called phillis upton and palombo, he has some good connections with the states attorny, and got me saved a couple of times.

I dont think it is fair to rate attorneys in this way. All of the named attorneys are mentioned are great. The most imortant thing is to sit down with counsel and decide for yourself. Talk to more more than one attorney. Then decide. You will not be happy with your decision or the result if you are not comfortable with your lawyer.

Etred101

So what your saying is Sue Anne didn't want to conflict with the good 'ole boys and have to deal with who she knew grew up in the County?

The Law is the Law.

The simple response is to ask: Are you impartial? If you are not satisfied then move on. How can you share confidences with counsel if your are not pursuaded of their motives and dont raise the issue-- then you are alone which is not why you sought counsel in the first place. IMHO.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Again, it is nonsense. A lawyer who is in a tort complaint against a government agency, doesn't care that he/she is going to battle against another lawyer. That is what they are trained to do. Lawyers are in it for the sake of the argument, or the deal. A lawyer who takes your case, usually has some contingent about being paid upon the outcome of the case. That lawyer doesn't care that a person who he/she has a social connection to may be on the agency which they are suing?. I know this because I know many of the lawyers in the county. I am often questioned in a confrontational manner by attorney's I consider my friends. I don't take it personally nor do they. They are working for their client. That is what a lawyer does. This "good ole boy" system may have been rampant at one point down here, but it doesn't exist today. You may be doing yourself an injustice by attempting to get an attorney from out of the county. They don't necessarily know the tempermants and the quirks of the Judges.
Once again, it's NOT nonsense. Please reread my post. For the 3rd time, I'm not talking about lawyer vs lawyer. I'm talking about a given lawyer's personal relationship with one or more people on the BOE. Your head is in the sand if you honestly believe the "good ole boy" network doesn't still exist.

bad1032

There are all sort of attorneys, some are better at some things then others, example, one may be dam good as a criminal and his/ her firm partner may be the civil person, you just have to look around, there are quit a few good ones in St Marys and a few bozos, same as for out of the county, yes I have seen many just as smcop has said, they will try to wheel and deal just to save you time and money trying to settle it, remember the more they put into it, the more expenses they have. If they can sit down and good ol boy it and settle it before court, then all is well, remember your the one who has the last say so. So open the phone book and then research on the computer and see what they are about. Or go over to court one day and watch them in the court room, and then you will know that some are good and some are bozos.

smcop

Once again, it's NOT nonsense. Please reread my post. For the 3rd time, I'm not talking about lawyer vs lawyer. I'm talking about a given lawyer's personal relationship with one or more people on the BOE. Your head is in the sand if you honestly believe the "good ole boy" network doesn't still exist.
What is your experience? Do you work in the legal profession? Are you in the courts often? I'm just curious.

johnjrval424

What is your experience? Do you work in the legal profession? Are you in the courts often? I'm just curious.

I'm just curious - why are you so defensive of attorneys? Are they your best friends? Sheesh - it's not like we are attacking anyone personally. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

smcop

I'm just curious - why are you so defensive of attorneys? Are they your best friends? Sheesh - it's not like we are attacking anyone personally. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes, there are some attorney's who are my best friends, there are some attorney's who are my family members. Why am I not entitled to my opinion?

I'm not saying anyone is being attacked, I am pointing out the logic of the person who said you need to seek out someone from outside the county because the people in the county are friends is flawed thinking. This is why.

In this logic, lawyer A who works for the BOE may be friendly with Lawyer B who works for the complainant. By the logic, because of the "good ole boy system" lawyer B, who is paid on a contingent of getting money for his client, will somehow not be fair to himself, nor the client simply because of his friendship with lawyer A. But people who think this way never think in terms of Lawyer A, who is paid on a retainer by the BOE will do a lesser job for his client. It is flawed thinking all the way around.

If you are playing football against a friend, do you not try to win? These attorney's are adults, they do their job. Our system of justice is an adversarial system. Adults operate in that system without it always being personal.

I ask you the same question as the other person. What is your profession? Do you work in the legal system?

queencity28

Yes, there are some attorney's who are my best friends, there are some attorney's who are my family members. Why am I not entitled to my opinion?

I'm not saying anyone is being attacked, I am pointing out the logic of the person who said you need to seek out someone from outside the county because the people in the county are friends is flawed thinking. This is why.

In this logic, lawyer A who works for the BOE may be friendly with Lawyer B who works for the complainant. By the logic, because of the "good ole boy system" lawyer B, who is paid on a contingent of getting money for his client, will somehow not be fair to himself, nor the client simply because of his friendship with lawyer A. But people who think this way never think in terms of Lawyer A, who is paid on a retainer by the BOE will do a lesser job for his client. It is flawed thinking all the way around.

If you are playing football against a friend, do you not try to win? These attorney's are adults, they do their job. Our system of justice is an adversarial system. Adults operate in that system without it always being personal.

I ask you the same question as the other person. What is your profession? Do you work in the legal system?

Football and money are two totally different things.

johnjrval424

If you read my previous posts, you would see that I mentioned at least on two occasions that I worked for quite a few attorneys in the area (Prince George's, Anne Arundel, Howard counties to name a few). I am a career paralegal. However, I am no where near as defensive of attorneys as you have been in your posts.

Perhaps your perception is skewed because you have family members who are attorneys. That's fine - I never once said that all attorneys are bad people, or participate in the good ol' boy network (although it is alive and kicking in the firms where I've worked) or don't work hard for their clients. There will always be bad apples no matter what profession you examine. But there is corruption in almost every profession - including politics, law enforcement, judicial system - and you won't convince me otherwise. You admitted that there are deals made every day - how do you think the client would feel if they heard their attorney talking with a colleague and they worked out the details of their case then the attorney goes back to the client and says, "Hey, you could probably spend xxxxx.00 but I think it is in your best interest to settle for xxxxx.00 and save yourself the grief." The attorney is going to take the sure thing instead of litigating it - but the client could potentially get 100k more from a jury. Is that really fair?

smcop

Are you serious? My argument is that people are saying to go out of St. Mary's County because they won't get a fair deal. Did you even read what I said?

Now your saying there is a good ole boy system in the law firms in P.G. Howard and AA. Then how would it help someone to go to those counties to find an attorney.

A client is the person who ultimately either accepts or rejects an offer.

Read my post again.

Explain the logic in how the good ole boy system works against one client over the other.

Have you worked for law firms that would give up money because they are friends with the opposing counsel? Of course you have not. But that is why I am arguing this whole point, and that is what is ridiculous. The person who got this started stated you should go outside of the county because they would get a better lawyer because the lawyers here know each other. I said that was ridiculous because the legal community in Maryland is small and most lawyers know most other lawyers despite geographics.

Would you look for a lesser deal or perhaps not do as much research for an attorney if you were competing with someone you knew from one of the other law firms you had worked for?

Last edited:

bad1032

If you go to see lawyer A and they have a conflict, they can panel it out to lawyer B , like I said there are good and bad, just like in all professions, If you ask around or go around you can see for yourself and get the right one for the right job. Look in big yellow book if need be, there are 1000s in there and they all have a specialty in what they do, Find one that fits your needs and go have a sit down:smoochy:, Most will give you a free visit and get a feel for the case. good luck.

johnjrval424

Now your saying there is a good ole boy system in the law firms in P.G. Howard and AA. Then how would it help someone to go to those counties to find an attorney.
Because they are seeking someone who will handle an out-of-county case. That's the purpose in going outside of the county - so you can get someone who doesn't know everyone in the county. And yes, I read your posts. Obviously, you aren't grasping mine.

A client is the person who ultimately either accepts or rejects an offer.
A client accepts or rejects the offer that the attorneys draw up. If you have your attorney sitting across the desk from you saying, "well, if I were you, I would take this offer because I doubt you're going to get a better result from a jury," you will take that offer because, if you read between the lines, the attorney is basically saying, this is your offer - take it or leave it. The attorney isn't willing to go to a jury unless you pay him a hefty retainer (for those pesky out-of-pocket expenses that aren't covered by the contingency retainer).

Have you worked for law firms that would give up money because they are friends with the opposing counsel? Of course you have not.
Really? Do you know the firms where I've worked in DC, AA, Howard, PG, etc.? Do you know how many attorneys I have personally witnessed come into my attorney's office and have a sit down to "discuss" the case and reach a "settlement?" Yeah, okay. :whistle:

Would you look for a lesser deal or perhaps not do as much research for an attorney if you were competing with someone you knew from one of the other law firms you had worked for?
I'm not sure I understand this question but I'll try to answer it - if I needed legal advice and the other side was represented by an attorney I used to work for - depending on who that attorney was - I wouldn't hesitate at all to do research but I doubt I would need to do a lot of it. The fact that I worked for them and I know their tactics and know how they handle their cases gives me more insight than any attorney could ask for - I'd be handing it to them on a silver platter with an engraved invitation.