left over crabs

ladybug2004

Got some crabs this past Friday. By yesterday afternoon they just didn't taste the same. I think 3 days is the most I will ever keep them.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
ladybug2004 said:
Got some crabs this past Friday. By yesterday afternoon they just didn't taste the same. I think 3 days is the most I will ever keep them.
They make a soap for that... :lmao:

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Its great when you are invited to a friend's place to have crabs...then you don't have to worry about cooking them at all :razz:

I wouldn't touch the crabs after 2 days....who knows what is in them...ewww

D

dems4me

forever jewel said:
Its great when you are invited to a friend's place to have crabs...then you don't have to worry about cooking them at all :razz:

I wouldn't touch the crabs after 2 days....who knows what is in them...ewww

You shoudl come to one of my crab feasts!!! :huggy:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Question: After you catch the crabs, how long and at what temp, will they live. I heard "never cook a dead crab". I always cook them immediatly but sometimes thats a big pain in the butt.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
baileydog said:
Question: After you catch the crabs, how long and at what temp, will they live. I heard "never cook a dead crab". I always cook them immediatly but sometimes thats a big pain in the butt.

That comes from the better be safe than sorry people talking but they can be cooked and eaten to a point. If they are all alive say at noon and you put them in the fridge and you take them out at say 4pm and some are dead you can rest a sure they are fine.

We always kill them on purpose just before cooking them to prevent them from dropping their claws, stick them right above the point of the apron on the belly with an ice pick.

CMC122

Go Braves!
AK-74me said:
That comes from the better be safe than sorry people talking but they can be cooked and eaten to a point. If they are all alive say at noon and you put them in the fridge and you take them out at say 4pm and some are dead you can rest a sure they are fine.

We always kill them on purpose just before cooking them to prevent them from dropping their claws, stick them right above the point of the apron on the belly with an ice pick.
Everytime I've had crabs that way they were gross and soggy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
AK-74me said:

And have to ask.. how do you cook them??

Vince

AK-74me said:

As long as the crabs are alive they can be cooked safely. Been doing it alot of years. If they have an amonia type smell, get rid of them. If the crab is dead and you can't be sure how long, get rid of it. Food poisoning sucks, I know, I've had it.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
itsbob said:
And have to ask.. how do you cook them??

High pressure steamer.

As far as them being "gross and soggy" I don't know why I've never experience that in like 20 yrs of doing it.

Sometimes we even tear the shell off before steaming them, the spices seem to soak in better that way. Think I am crazy ask some Smith Islander's about it.

As far as cooking dead crabs, like I said if they are dead a relatively short time they are ok, if the smell funny or have a blueish gray looking stain on the belly just below their mouth, get rid of it. Newly dead crabs are often still kind of stiff too, their claws still may be ummm errr...... erect if you are holding them from the back. Old dead crabs are often very limp.

I knew some douche bag was gonna pull a hit and run on this

08-16-2005 06:50 PM dum dum

Last edited: