Let's get to work as fast as we can!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by crabcake
Speaking of motorcycles (which I'm not against, but not a fan of either), I've seen quite a few of 'em lately riding up sidewalks, down the road between cars in traffic like they're threading a needle, and abusing the shoulder for the sole purpose of not having to wait in traffic. THAT shiznit pisses me off! :mad:

Why? They're getting out of your way and you're safely ensconsced in your steel cocoon. A lot of bikes are air cooled and sitting in traffic (no air flow) can damage the motor.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by aps45819
Why? They're getting out of your way and you're safely ensconsced in your steel cocoon. A lot of bikes are air cooled and sitting in traffic (no air flow) can damage the motor.

1st ... it's illegal. 2nd ... it's unsafe. If you have a person weaving through traffic (whether in a car or on a bike) and they decide to use the shoulder at the last minute, they could run head on into a car that is pulled over there.

Last week, in hughesville, some azzwipe was threading the traffic on his crotch rocket, and some guy up ahead in the right lane opened his car door to do something, and the guy on the bike about went over his handle bars trying to stop really quick. Personally, I just laughed my azz off.

If it's not "healthy" for your bike to sit in traffic, take another route where there's no sitting traffic, or use a different mode of transportation. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
And this affects you how? I agree lane splitting is illegal and dangerous. All I'm saying is why get upset over the actions of others. If you're in a car it's unlikely a bike can hurt you.

Otter

Nothing to see here

Not an expert but if a bike can't sit and idle without damage, how the hell did it get on the market??

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by cariblue
Could someone please address this? Why does it sound like :bs: ?
Ask PT what sitting in traffick will do to his Harley. Won't take long before his rear cylinder is blowing smoke.

Ponytail

Could someone please address this? Why does it sound like :bs: ?

It's not BS. But that's still no reason to use the shoulder or sidewalks, unless they're using them to pullover and shut them down for awhile.

My bike is air cooled Cari, as are most Harley's. Only the new V-Rod is liquid cooled. On hot days, sitting in traffic turns the oil into a consistancy lighter than water. Because the engine is so hot, it will start to "detonate". That's when the fuel in teh cyclinder starts to ignite with every stroke of the piston, instead of every other one. It ignites by the heat in the cylinder. And that damages everything from the valves on down. The oil consistancy creates more wear, and damages everything else. And all of this happens VERY quickly. And this happens simply because there is no oil flowing over the cylinder heads, as it is when the bike is moving.

But, those with air-cooled motors SHOULD know this, and know when to shut the bike down and allow for a cool down. On a side note, this does not happen very often. Normally, if the air temperature is such that the bike will over-heat, the human body is experiencing the same thing, especially with the added radiant heat coming from the bike.

crabcake

And this affects you how? I agree lane splitting is illegal and dangerous. All I'm saying is why get upset over the actions of others. If you're in a car it's unlikely a bike can hurt you.

If I'm sitting on the side of the road changing a tire, and get hit b/c of someone's impatience, I'd say it'll have a pretty big effect on me. :bubble:

I do my part to trim down the traffic congestion by riding the bus to/from work. If it's so bad on your bike, perhaps you should do the same. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
So there really is no reason for these bikes to be skipping traffic. They're just using it as an excuse to get closer to the front of the line.

Correct, they're just being azzes

Pete

Repete
So there really is no reason for these bikes to be skipping traffic. They're just using it as an excuse to get closer to the front of the line.
Basically, the overheating would be brought on by long periods of idle or very slow riding where no air can travel over the cooling fins of the cylinders. If your bike is overheating the prudent rider would pull off and let it cool down. Riding down a sidewalk or between cars still wouldn't give you enough cooling air to help it, unless you got up to 40 on the sidewalk.
But then again after you get crushed you bike will cool off fine slung under a wrecker being hauled away.

Ponytail

Well, I sure as hell wouldn't buy something that's going to overheat sitting at the traffic light.
It takes quite a bit more than that. Unfortunately, that excuse is severely abused.

crabcake

Originally posted by DoWhat
Like you know how to change a tire, Hello.

I do now, tyvm! :bubble: :diva:

With all this free time I have, I took on a part-time job. That's me, with the air gun, headin' over the hood to the driver's side. :really:

capt.chl10905310353.nascar_charlotte_chl109.jpg

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If I'm sitting on the side of the road changing a tire, and get hit b/c of someone's impatience, I'd say it'll have a pretty big effect on me. :bubble:

I'm MUCH more worried about a cell yakin, coffe spillin, yelling at the kids soccer mom in a 4 ton SUV than a guy on a bike.
(Helpful Hint) Always set your spare on the edge of the road behind you when taking off a flat and then put the flat tire there while installing the inflated tire. A big steel disk lying in the road might deflect any vehicles away from you.

crabcake

I'm MUCH more worried about a cell yakin, coffe spillin, yelling at the kids soccer mom in a 4 ton SUV than a guy on a bike.

Pfew! My SUV is only 3 tons, so I'm in the clear! :dance:

In all seriousness, a few times, when my daughter has acted up in the car, I HAVE pulled it over to the shoulder to 'take care of business' and lay down the law to her. :really: It hasn't happened too much lately because I've explained to her what happens when people don't pay attention while driving ... it was easy for her to understand. I just showed her the damage Huntr did to my car when he wasn't payin' attention. :shrug: :lol:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
In all seriousness, a few times, when my daughter has acted up in the car, I HAVE pulled it over to the shoulder to 'take care of business' and lay down the law to her.
And you never take your eyes off the road either, do you?

crabcake

Originally posted by DoWhat
And you never take your eyes off the road either, do you?

I said I pull it over to the side of the road. Once I've got it in Park and the emergency brake on ... yes, I take my eyes off the road ... b/c I ain't happy and I want her to see that when she looks me in the eye. :really:

Otherwise, while driving down the road in traffic, yes, I DO keep my eyes on the road. I've been an accident magnet these last 2+ years, so I try to not take any chances. :ohwell: