Life in Mechanicsville?

NurseSherri

Ok, so my fiancé got his final orders for Pax River for the beginning of December. I am possibly going to be working in La Plata and it looks like Mechanicsville is the half way mark. I was just reading all kinds of complaints about this area, so now I'm confused about it all. Any advice about the area or areas that are equally accessible to Pax and La Plata? It is so hard trying to find a place to live when we are here in San Diego. I'd appreciate a good grocery store, possibly a Target and such and a decent school for my 7 year old daughter.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ok, so my fiancé got his final orders for Pax River for the beginning of December. I am possibly going to be working in La Plata and it looks like Mechanicsville is the half way mark. I was just reading all kinds of complaints about this area, so now I'm confused about it all. Any advice about the area or areas that are equally accessible to Pax and La Plata? It is so hard trying to find a place to live when we are here in San Diego. I'd appreciate a good grocery store, possibly a Target and such and a decent school for my 7 year old daughter.

Mechanicsville has no Target. Target is in LaPlata and California. Both are easy drives. If you live in Mechanicsville, you grocery shop in Charlotte Hall (Food Lion or McKays) or Leonardtown (also Food Lion or McKays) unless you are a die hard Giant shopper - then its back down to California. If you are working in LaPlata, you'll have access to Giant, Safeway, and Food Lion.

There are five elementary schools for Mechanicsville children depending on where you live. Your daughter could be at Lettie Dent, White Marsh, Mechanicsville, Dynard, or Oakville. They all have web pages you can look at via the SMCPS - Home website. There is also a private Catholic school, Mother Catherine Spalding, www.mothercatherinespalding.org.

When you start narrowing down neighborhoods, just ask me or Dakota, and we can give you the pros and cons of each.

Good luck!

R

rhenderson

Take the complaints about the area with a grain of salt. There are always some folks who complain about any area. Mechanicsville is not much different from any of the other areas around So. MD.

You may want to rethink locating at a mid way point. If your fiancé isI going to be at PAX. (from the term "orders" I am presuming he's military) and you are going to be working in La Plata I suggest you consider living in one or the other. Otherwise, you both have a significant drive to pick up your daughter from school for any reason.

I live in La Plata and commute to PAX. The 38 mile run takes about 50-60 minutes with a coffee stop around Mechanicsville,

Last edited by a moderator:

officeguy

There is nothing wrong with Mechanicsville, Charlotte Hall, Hughesville. Either of the three would be a good choice to get to both Pax and La Plata.

Mother Catherine Spalding was mentioned as an option for your kids. If you work over in La Plata, you may want to consider Archbishop Neale School in La Plata (K-8). Depending on your work schedule, Spalding would require you to head south before heading back north towards La Plata, with morning commute traffic, this could add some time to your day. ANS starts at 7:30 and has options for after-care (in addition there are opportunities for private after-care in La Plata). There are many parents who live some way out and combine their work and school commute into one.

officeguy

You may want to rethink locating at a mid way point. If your fiancé isI going to be at PAX. (from the term "orders" I am presuming he's military) and you are going to be working in La Plata I suggest you consider living in one or the other. Otherwise, you both have a significant drive to pick up your daughter from school for any reason.

I live in La Plata and commute to PAX. The 38 mile run takes about 50-60 minutes with a coffee stop around Mechanicsville,

The old Packard commercial: Ask the man who owns one.

I would second that suggestion. Given the option to live near the base or in La Plata, I would choose La Plata again. Send the kids to school locally (public or parochial), work local, have your fiance do the commute. Except for the last stretch towards the base from about Wildewood shopping center on south, morning traffic going that direction is not an issue.

Last edited:

knittin

somdexpressions
You say possibly work in LaPlata. You may want to just look for a position closer to PAX. there are many contractors in the area depending on your line of work. Mechanicsville is great. You pass all the shops and stores on the way home from PAX.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Mechanicsville is fine. If you can live without a big store within a 3 minute drive. Nice area, good folks, safe. Love it. Same here with neighborhoods, I can help a little.

Looks lile 2 houses are for sale in my neighborhood. Excellent elementary school, good middle and high schools. No crime. Good neighbors. Easy drive to La Plata or Pax. Lavender Estates, off Rt. 6.

fatratcat

I've lived in Mechanicsville for more than 20 years. It's OK, but it's mostly fastfood and very few sit down options for food. Also, both grocery stores are...shall we say..."down market." All hospitals are are about 20-25 minutes away (I noticed you're "NurseSherri"). Most of the town center is flea markets, second hand stores, funeral homes, liquor stores, and fastfood. So, hospitals, retail, good grocery stores, restaurants, and education centers are all 20-25 minutes away. If I had it to do all over, I move to La Plata.

nutz

FWIW, From some of my associates, Civista and Southern Md. are not the most employee friendly places to work. The ones that work for St. Mary's are very happy there.

nutz

I've lived in Mechanicsville for more than 20 years. It's OK, but it's mostly fastfood and very few sit down options for food. Also, both grocery stores are...shall we say..."down market." All hospitals are are about 20-25 minutes away (I noticed you're "NurseSherri"). Most of the town center is flea markets, second hand stores, funeral homes, liquor stores, and fastfood. So, hospitals, retail, good grocery stores, restaurants, and education centers are all 20-25 minutes away. If I had it to do all over, I move to La Plata.

Doesn't it make you feel bad being old and cranky? :whistle:

Beta

Smile!

arent you the one who cane from the annapolis area and then wished mechanicsville was like annapolis? go to la plata then.

the food lion is fine...comparable to most grocery stores in california. mckays is ok but then again that chain is just average anyway. true, there arent many places to eat within 10 minutes, but you dont move to mechanicsville for that. plus, there is PLENTY in a 20-30 minute radius, including lexington park/california/solomons, leonardtown, waldorf, la plata, and prince frederick.

so the immediate area is nice and quiet, without great amenities, but you both work in areas where you can stop by plenty of shops on the way home to bet anything you need. weekends and dinner outings are slightly longer drives, but youre usually not in a rush so who cares if youre in the car for a few more minutes of quality time?

puggymom

I live in Mechanicsville and agree with most replies. The Food Lion is the closest grocery store. Its not as nice as Giant but that being said it has gotten better over the years. I used to hate doing my whole grocery shopping list, as opposed to just running in for a few things) but now not so much. There's no Target but they are in La Plata and near Pax. My kids go to White Marsh Elementary and I love it.

OldHillcrestGuy

I live in Charlotte Hall, which is abuts what they call Mechcanicsville for over 35 years, I have no complaints, except for there only a couple of sitdown places to eat. We are located roughly 20-25 minutes from major shopping areas in 4 different directions. Also 4 hospitals if you are a nurse. The two nicer ones appear to be St. Marys and Calvert are within 20 miles. The one in LaPlata, which was Civista has now been renamed University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center is the one my family and I have used for most of our hospital needs, we have never had a bad experience there. Staff has always been great, whether they are happy working there I dont know. Many doctor offices all around the area to work at, mostly in Waldorf, but also around each of the hospitals.
There are 3 homes in my developement for sale, 2 are very nice (Melody Acres). If you are looking for apartments, there are no apartments in Mechcanicsville or Northern St Marys. Very few in Calvert County, no nice ones in either LaPlata or Waldorf. In St Marys they are close to the base, the nicest appear to be in Wildwood along Rt. 235.
If you want honest straight answers without the BS, as mentioned before Dakota, Bresamil are good sources so is huntr1 and myself. Good luck and its not so bad living in Southern Maryland.
PS Also include puggymom for honest answers)

Last edited:

phobos512

OldHillcrestGuy, there are a ton of brand new condo/townhome/apts in Waldorf. Not sure where you get your info. Brand spanking new beautiful (and expensive for the area IMO).

dave1959

One thing that has not been talked about.. Mechanicsville are is mostly rural
farming communities ( several amish and mennonite communities). This attacted me 27 years ago. LaPlata and Pax river are more urban. I recomend
Mechanicvills,Charlotte Hall and also Hollywood,

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Mechanicsville is nice. Those who have issues with it have issues with rural life in general. No we don't have Target, mostly mom and pop stuff and fast food (one or two decent mid-range restaurants). But we are centrally located to everywhere else. There's a Target, Walmart and other stores in both LaPlata and near PAX, so you'll be near them at work. In fact, pick any of the four winds and you can hit a Walmart in 20 minutes and a Target in 3 of the four directions in the same time.

We have decent public schools. Lettie Dent Elementary is consistently rated 1st or 2nd in the county, sometimes switching places with another school further south. All the schools in Mechanicsville are good, Lettie Dent is just the biggest of the five.

MarieB

One thing that has not been talked about.. Mechanicsville are is mostly rural
farming communities ( several amish and mennonite communities). This attacted me 27 years ago. LaPlata and Pax river are more urban. I recomend
Mechanicvills,Charlotte Hall and also Hollywood,

:yeahthat:

She mentioned in a previous thread that she's coming from San Diego. It's a big change. I don't think I could live in Mechanicsville, but everyone has different preferences

Sherri, I sent you a PM

fatratcat

arent you the one who cane from the annapolis area and then wished mechanicsville was like annapolis? go to la plata then.

the food lion is fine...comparable to most grocery stores in california. mckays is ok but then again that chain is just average anyway. true, there arent many places to eat within 10 minutes, but you dont move to mechanicsville for that. plus, there is PLENTY in a 20-30 minute radius, including lexington park/california/solomons, leonardtown, waldorf, la plata, and prince frederick.

so the immediate area is nice and quiet, without great amenities, but you both work in areas where you can stop by plenty of shops on the way home to bet anything you need. weekends and dinner outings are slightly longer drives, but youre usually not in a rush so who cares if youre in the car for a few more minutes of quality time?

No, you are wrong. I'm not from Annapolis, but don't let the any of the facts get in your way of your useless diatribe. Also, keep telling me "why" I moved to Mechanicsville and "how" I should think. I love it when people try to speak for me. Finally, there is no comparing Food Lion or McKay's to other stores like Giant or Safeway. So, don't slam your trailer door on the way out of the conversation. BTW- I won't be going anywhere for quite a while.

Last edited:

fatratcat

Doesn't it make you feel bad being old and cranky? :whistle:

No. I have plenty of liquor stores in Mechanicsville to help me out :) Just kidding. Actually, I am one of the happiest people that I know. Good job, family, home. I grew up in NJ. I think some folks think I'm cranky because they are waaaay too sensitive. Since you pointed out our generational difference, I would add that it's mostly the younger folks. They tend to be very sensitive, soft (as in fat), and very needy.

In this case, you may think I'm cranky because I've tried to manage her expectations. She is a nurse moving from San Diego, which is a very nice area with an awful lot of retail, restaurants, and enterainment options. IMO- it's dishonest to play up Mechanicsville in a way that doesn't make clear there is a PROFOUND difference between Mechanicsville and San Diego in the areas of accessability, retail, and restaurants.

Last edited: