Live PD on A and E

Restitution

I had never been to the Tiki opening, never had a desire to, really.

Last year, Foxhound and I went on Saturday night to check it out and it was just sooooo crowded. Much. I didn't think the drinks I had were all that tasty. We walked around a bit and I did see a few peeps I knew, but it was a total sea of people, most of whom were way past intoxicated. Not our scene.

We did enjoy the hike/walk to and from the car, though. :lol:

Now imagine that you were charged $20 for that experience. Good times :yay:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Now imagine that you were charged $20 for that experience. Good times :yay:

Or imagine the taxpayers of the entire County paying for the additional Deputies to cover a private event. That's what the cover charge is being used to pay for, the Tiki Bar is now being charged by the County for the additional police coverage assigned to the event.

black dog

Free America
Come on now, they have to show off all that Tacti-Cool gear your taxes and Homeland Grants Paid for

Here's a story from a few years ago that has to do with Calvert County Sheriffs Dept aquireing Tacticool equipment, Calvert Sheriffs Dept used to have a Deputy named Insco.and within his group of friends that he grew up with was a man who worked in LE and Gov sales at Colt for 20+ years and then went to work for FN USA as Director of Marketing. FN USA was looking for a Dept to use in there yearly catalog and a deal was struck to overly supply the Sheriffs Dept with metric tons of FN equipment, pistols, shotguns, scars and a well needed Mag 50 belt fed for the front of there Tacticool Boat. If I remember right, they were photographed two years in a row.

Be careful what you wish for Calvert Co, You might already have it.

http://www.tactical-life.com/milita...calvert-county-swat/#tw-dec-calvert-swat-lead

Restitution

Or imagine the taxpayers of the entire County paying for the additional Deputies to cover a private event. That's what the cover charge is being used to pay for, the Tiki Bar is now being charged by the County for the additional police coverage assigned to the event.

- Never knew it was the tax payer's responsibility to pay for coverage of private events.

- Since when is it mandatory for county law enforcement to police a private event? Maybe they should hire private security.

Grumpy

Or imagine the taxpayers of the entire County paying for the additional Deputies to cover a private event.

Whats your point?? Tiki Bar is a business and open to the public, it's not a private event. FWIW, I've been to a few openings, but not in the last 10-15 years, no desire to attend nowadays, just want to know what you mean by "private event".

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Whats your point?? Tiki Bar is a business and open to the public, it's not a private event. FWIW, I've been to a few openings, but not in the last 10-15 years, no desire to attend nowadays, just want to know what you mean by "private event".

A private business, the operations of which necessitate additional County provided (read taxpayer) services, primarily law enforcement. The members of which are mostly working overtime hours to cover the event.

The event requires, or now has available, public transportation, road closures and officer directed traffic control as well as security.

The County has eaten the cost for several years. This year it was decided to bill the business for those services.

Tan's Cycles in North Beach, a private business, has held an open house for over twenty years. This year he was going to, or rather the Town was, be billed for the additional Deputies assigned to the event over and above those already assigned to the Beach Detachment (which the two towns pay just under two million dollars a year to have). Last word is that the event has been cancelled.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
- Never knew it was the tax payer's responsibility to pay for coverage of private events.

- Since when is it mandatory for county law enforcement to police a private event? Maybe they should hire private security.

The crowd goes well beyond the Tiki Bar's property, it pretty much shuts down Rt 2 from the bridge onto the island
That when it becomes the county's problem.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What a disappointment. I watched until 10:30 and couldn't take any more, had only one Calvert segment and it wasn't the Tiki Bar.

Chris0nllyn

What a disappointment. I watched until 10:30 and couldn't take any more, had only one Calvert segment and it wasn't the Tiki Bar.

It'll be next week most likely.

They pre film it all as I drove by the film crew last Tuesday and someone I know was pulled over with the crew. They need to dig through a bunch of boring footage to find anything worth displaying on national TV.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It'll be next week most likely.

They pre film it all as I drove by the film crew last Tuesday and someone I know was pulled over with the crew. They need to dig through a bunch of boring footage to find anything worth displaying on national TV.

I just found out the crew was banned from going on the island.

warneckutz

I just found out the crew was banned from going on the island.

I bet Tiki had their hand in that for sure ...

I don't know if it was the new cover charge or the predicted thunderstorm around 6:30 (or the combination) but I'd say it wasn't even half as busy between 1200-1700 yesterday.

frequentflier

happy to be living
In watching it last night, they pulled a couple cars over in Solomons. One was a Prius with I think 7 people jammed inside. 17 year old DD that copped to the pot she had on her and the rest were presumably drunk. Not sure the ages of all the occupants but one person had a Patuxent high school sweat shirt on. All had tiki wrist bands. They told them to call their parents to give them rides since it is illegal to have that many people in the car (only allowed as many as there were seatbelts)

The other was a young man that passed the field sobriety test but blew a higher number. Corporal Moschetto "kept his word" and didn't arrest him but made him get someone sober to pick him up and drive him and his car home. They found no drugs but did find a needle, that he said belonged to a diabetic friend.

BernieP

Resident PIA
In watching it last night, they pulled a couple cars over in Solomons. One was a Prius with I think 7 people jammed inside. 17 year old DD that copped to the pot she had on her and the rest were presumably drunk. Not sure the ages of all the occupants but one person had a Patuxent high school sweat shirt on. All had tiki wrist bands. They told them to call their parents to give them rides since it is illegal to have that many people in the car (only allowed as many as there were seatbelts)
all were apparently underage and after being featured on A&E are being ostracized by the other kids because their mommy and daddy think they are a bad influence.
News flash to the holier than thous, your kid is doing it too.
Don't be so quick to judge.
They just haven't been caught yet.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
all were apparently underage and after being featured on A&E are being ostracized by the other kids because their mommy and daddy think they are a bad influence.
News flash to the holier than thous, your kid is doing it too.
Don't be so quick to judge.
They just haven't been caught yet.

Caught doing what? Smoking pot, getting drunk, or going to the Tiki Bar and wearing wristbands when they were underaged?

I had a pretty tight reign on Thing2. I'm fairly certain he had little opportunity to do those things. That's how I feel it should be when they're that age, but that's just me. He just turned 21, in January, and I am completely aware that he consumed alcoholic beverages before he was 21. At parties in someone's home. I'm NOT sure he was doing a lot of partying before he left high school, which is mainly due to the fact that he was rarely anywhere unsupervised by adults. Besides my being tough, he was in NJROTC and respected his instructor/mentor so much that he didn't dare get in trouble that way. I am 100% certain he was never at the Tiki Bar before he graduated HS. (He was 18 when he graduated due to his Jan. birthday and starting later in FL) I am about 95% positive he was never at the Tiki Bar* underaged between age 19-21. (there is always a slight doubt, as I wasn't with him 24/7 after he graduated HS)

Back then, he was also trying to go into the military, so he kept himself on the straight and narrow between the ages of 18-20m. He didn't do drugs, including smoking pot. Now, he's drug tested, so I know he doesn't do them.

* He was actually going to go to the Tiki opening this past week, but "heard" Live PD was going to be filming down there and decided against going. :lol: