local horse shows

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Sadielady said:
Remember when I talked about trying to bring together a NCEL show team down here? I about got torn apart then. For some reason some peeps down here just don't like outsiders or transplants (as the locals call us) trying to create anything new. :shrug: :patriot:

Would any of the barns down here qualify under the NCEL rules to compete.

RULE I. PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS AND TEAMS

SECTION 1. Participating Schools

A “Participating School” or “Host School” is defined as an entity which has no less than 10 horses regularly used in its lesson program, no fewer than 50 students per week enrolled in classes of instruction at the school and which offers group lessons. In addition, a Participating or Host school must have an indoor ring available for use in inclement or extremely cold weather.
Participating schools will compete with teams composed of no more than nine regular members. A Roster containing the name, address and phone number of the members of each team (See Section 2, F), must be received by the Secretary not later than 10 days prior to the first scheduled meet of the current competition year. Six members will ride for the school's team and no more than three members shall serve as alternates. Alternates must be prepared to be substitutes for regular team members. If a team member drops out prior to the completion of the season, any person replacing that team member may only compete as an alternate. Alternates must be prepared to be substitutes for regular members unless they have been named to replace a member who has dropped out in which case they may only ride as an alternate.
Schools may enter one team in the "A" League and one team the "B" League.
Any team who decides not to participate in the NCEL after submitting the registration form shall be responsible for the full registration fee and not entitled to a refund.

BZHorseMomE

Some of the Barns listed on the 2007/2008 schedule don't even have 10 school horses.

Does the NCEL allow students using there private horses when host a competition??

Also I'm reading that qualifying schools must have 50 individual students enrolled in the lesson program WEEKLY? or do they mean teach 50 lessons a week?

devinej

BZHorseMomE said:
Some of the Barns listed on the 2007/2008 schedule don't even have 10 school horses.

Does the NCEL allow students using there private horses when host a competition??

Also I'm reading that qualifying schools must have 50 individual students enrolled in the lesson program WEEKLY? or do they mean teach 50 lessons a week?

yeah i don't think at least HP would qualify for that many students/horses. but maybe we could make up our own mini-local-ncel. with modified rules to fit our programs..?

Sparks

devinej said:
so i've noticed that there are about a billion horse shows in st.mary's county this fall at 4 or 5 different locations. not sure how the turn out will be for each show if there are a billion of them - probably not great.

was wondering - what if we made a St.Mary's County Fall Schooling Show Circuit, and each location could host 1 show, and we'd get together on a prize list, put in all the classes everyone wants for each show and then we could have season end points and stuff. i think that would be fun.

what do you say? :popcorn:

I think that's a great idea. I'd think having one or two well attended shows at a barn would be more beneficial than hosting 6 shows with low attendance. Someone mentioned BCHSA and they really do have a nice show circuit.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
BZHorseMomE said:

My understanding is the horses can't be privately owned unless they are in a lesson program. No ONE barn meets all the qualifications down here that I know of, but a couple together do. We have some good riders down here, but again it would mean that we would have to work together. I must wait to see what the next few months hold for me. Maybe next year...... :whistle:

fredsaid2

BZHorseMomE said:
No private mounts. It's modeled after the college intercollegiate program. Part of the competition is riding a horse you're not had an opportunity to ride before. The only time the kids get to ride familiar horses are when their barn hosts a meet and at finals.

Sounds like AMIT is the only barn that could possibly meet the requirements.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
No private mounts. It's modeled after the college intercollegiate program. Part of the competition is riding a horse you're not had an opportunity to ride before. The only time the kids get to ride familiar horses are when their barn hosts a meet and at finals.

Sounds like AMIT is the only barn that could possibly meet the requirements.
But I think you have to have an indoor. ?

BZHorseMomE

Sparks said:
I think that's a great idea. I'd think having one or two well attended shows at a barn would be more beneficial than hosting 6 shows with low attendance. Someone mentioned BCHSA and they really do have a nice show circuit.

Yes, the Howard County Horse Show Assoc. & the Baltimore County Horse Show Assoc. would be great ones to model a circuit after. Plenty of division variety also. Something for horses & riders of all levels. Some of the Farms that you show at really nice.

Guess when the farms get attendence like they do up at those Circuits you can make some money & improve the grounds (jumps, etc).

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
Maybe, but I know of one barn that didn't and even when they did the shows were typically held outdoors.
Hmmmm.... I wonder how they got around it? Would you PM who the team was? I think I know, but just want to confirm.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Sadielady said:
Hmmmm.... I wonder how they got around it? Would you PM who the team was? I think I know, but just want to confirm.
They actually have a "C" team now too. At least a couple of years ago they did.

BZHorseMomE

Plus those Associations don't end the season in August. HCHSA assoc. just had there Medal Classes for Jr. & Adults yesterday at Summer Hill Farm. They have that a show all to itself. I don't think BCHSA ends until October.

I remember when George Emge use to hold a Challenge show back in the late 80's. The top 6 or so finishers for the year would compete in division against the riders from all the other association around the state. It was really fun.

BZHorseMomE

Sadielady said:

One of the teams the trainer isn't around enough to even teach that many students a week. They are out on the road showing rated & doing the jumpers.

fredsaid2

Sadielady said:

I think it was Century Manor in Nokesville. This was several years ago, maybe the rules have changed since then.

W

WhoCares

This is something that has been suggested before, and had been talked about.

Also it had nothing to do with the various personalities involved on this board so don't jump me on that one.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
I think it was Century Manor in Nokesville. This was several years ago, maybe the rules have changed since then.
I don't know that team. Oh well. I better go work now. You guys have a glorious day. :huggy:

BZHorseMomE

fredsaid2 said:

Nope, not the farms I was think about. There are a few on that list for the 07'/08' season that I know don't have that many lesson horses. Guess they just include there students horses who board at the barn. Maybe they count the sale horses & ponies they have in the barn that the lesson students ride occassionally.

Back in the early 90's my previous trainer had the top rider & teams several years in a row. She taught all private students on their own horses. No lessons horses and didn't have 50 diff. students being taught each week.

Last edited: