Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

BOP

Total red herring BS as far as it affects us. . All the checks being stolen from our region are being skimmed off at one of the processing centers. USPS does not want to catch the thieves because they are a bunch of their protected employees.
Exactly. The Government hates competition. Don't let those rando thugs get your money! Bring it inside so we can steal it!

BOP

I bet this pilfering of checks is being done at the behest of government. It serves as the catalyst to ease the transition to a digital currency. "This kind of theft won't happen with a digital currency." they will say.
Well, okay, it will still happen; it's just that it'll be the Government stealing your money, rather than rando thugs on the street.

TPD

the poor dad
Would using a Sharpie help with the washing of the checks?
I don't know. My checks are computer generated/printed on an inkjet printer. I write too many checks to go back to handwritten.

And before anyone asks why I don't do online banking - if you don't own a business, you don't understand the processes. Online banking is not an option for many vendors. The time and hassle involved would be too much for a small business such as myself. We use accounting software to write checks, issue invoices, track expenses and prepare monthly p&l statements, all as a convenience and to save time. I have been doing this for 30+ years with no problem - if the post office would just do their F**KING JOB we would not have this issue!!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I wrote two checks recently, and after I put them in the envelope, realized they had windows and clearly said "PAYMENT DEPARTMENT". Right. Put the entire envelope inside another security envelope and sent that. One was local, but the other was going to Boston.

Got a little concerned when one check cleared and the other didn't. Turns out it was received and credited to my account, but they haven't processed it thru the bank yet. Been almost 2 weeks since they got it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Would using a Sharpie help with the washing of the checks?
We're looking at adding some "watermarks" to our printed checks using a a Sharpie. But that only helps with one half of the problem..it means if they steal the check, they'll toss it in the trash if it's obviously not going to be easy to wash. Of the 16 checks they stole from us, only 2 were washed and cashed. We assume the rest either went in the trash directly or they didn't get a chance to attempt a "wash, mod and cash" before we shut the account down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Because they knew they came from 'dirty money' ?
good one dude.jpg

TPD

the poor dad
We're looking at adding some "watermarks" to our printed checks using a a Sharpie. But that only helps with one half of the problem..it means if they steal the check, they'll toss it in the trash if it's obviously not going to be easy to wash. Of the 16 checks they stole from us, only 2 were washed and cashed. We assume the rest either went in the trash directly or they didn't get a chance to attempt a "wash, mod and cash" before we shut the account down.
And what do you do about the checks stolen but never cashed? I had a check in September that never showed up to the vendor and was never attempted to cash. On this particular account, this has been the only check so far to have been presumably stolen so no need to close the account. But it did cost me $50 to stop payment on that check just in case it shows up later!

mitzi

This has nothing to do with stolen checks and the amount of your losses, so it doesn't compare. It's about USPS in general. I've had about a dozen packages shipped to me the past 2 to 3 weeks for presents. All were shipped FedEx and arrived within 2 to 3 days. Take wild guess how the only missing package was shipped. You got it, the cluster f*ck USPS.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sitting here in the bank now weighing my options and was just told it could take up to 90 days to get my $9800 back! In one case they had, it took 6 months for the customer to get their funds back. WTF
I got to give Truist credit...they had the money back in my account in less than 10 days...40 grand worth. Our account manager said they have fund set up just for this.

TPD

the poor dad
I will be ok until I get the money back but 15 years ago? Maybe not-could have been ugly. I feel for any individual this happens to living paycheck to paycheck. It would have a domino effect and ruin their credit for a long time.

PeoplesElbow

I don't know. My checks are computer generated/printed on an inkjet printer. I write too many checks to go back to handwritten.

And before anyone asks why I don't do online banking - if you don't own a business, you don't understand the processes. Online banking is not an option for many vendors. The time and hassle involved would be too much for a small business such as myself. We use accounting software to write checks, issue invoices, track expenses and prepare monthly p&l statements, all as a convenience and to save time. I have been doing this for 30+ years with no problem - if the post office would just do their F**KING JOB we would not have this issue!!
Could a $200 laser printer keep it from happening?

DaSDGuy

Could a $200 laser printer keep it from happening?
It really wouldn't matter much, would it? They steal the checks and if they can rinse the info off they try to forge other info. Otherwise they throw the checks away. Bottom line is the checks are stolen and will not pay the bills.

The check thefts have to be stopped or electronic payments must be used. No other solutions.