Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

NextJen

Raisin cane
Had to file a claim at the bank today. A check I had written for the HOA to pay a vendor for services back in September was cashed December 2. The check I wrote was for $302. The check was ‘washed’ and now made out to an individual for $4,900. Still had my signature on it. Definitely was not my handwriting anywhere else on the check. The check would have been mailed at the Port Tobacco post office and was going to Capitol Heights.
The woman at the bank that took my report confirmed that they had been seeing a lot of this. She said the police recommended that if you write a check, use gel pens. For some reason they are harder to ‘wash’.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Had to file a claim at the bank today. A check I had written for the HOA to pay a vendor for services back in September was cashed December 2. The check I wrote was for $302. The check was ‘washed’ and now made out to an individual for $4,900. Still had my signature on it. Definitely was not my handwriting anywhere else on the check. The check would have been mailed at the Port Tobacco post office and was going to Capitol Heights.
The woman at the bank that took my report confirmed that they had been seeing a lot of this. She said the police recommended that if you write a check, use gel pens. For some reason they are harder to ‘wash’.
This isn't what I wanted to hear. I just wrote out 2 checks for Mommy Dearest to mail to her VA credit union. I set up an account to pay them from her account at a local CU, but they charge a $5 fee for each payment. She declined. I hope the checks make it. I think I'll give her the $10 per month for the fees just to get her to agree to pay them electronically from here on out.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Everyone should start using Sharpie permanent ink fine point pens when writing checks. At least for use in the amount section. That definitely won't be able to be washed off.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
"You should always use a USPS Blue Box for outgoing mail since no mailbox, even a locking mailbox, is secure for outgoing mail. "

When the thieves are within the USPS, the mailbox you use doesn't matter. Mommy Dearest will be calling her credit union this coming week to make sure they've received her payments. This is a bunch of bullshet!

NextJen

Raisin cane
"You should always use a USPS Blue Box for outgoing mail since no mailbox, even a locking mailbox, is secure for outgoing mail. "

When the thieves are within the USPS, the mailbox you use doesn't matter. Mommy Dearest will be calling her credit union this coming week to make sure they've received her payments. This is a bunch of bullshet!
Right! Where I live, I no longer have a private mailbox. I have a PO Box. I put all of my outgoing mail in the collection box at the post office. So the check I mailed was either stolen in the postal system, or by an employee at the destination/vendor I sent it to. One would hope the police and postal investigators would start connecting some dots and catching these thieves.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Right! Where I live, I no longer have a private mailbox. I have a PO Box. I put all of my outgoing mail in the collection box at the post office. So the check I mailed was either stolen in the postal system, or by an employee at the destination/vendor I sent it to. One would hope the police and postal investigators would start connecting some dots and catching these thieves.
They connected the dots ages ago. Not sure why they are still jacking around.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
It would be terrible if some evil person sent fake business checks in regular pay envelopes that had some type of white power on it that if a thief intercepted it would be sorry, they did.

mdff2

I had a check for a utility company for 155.18 altered to 8,000.00. MSP advised to change accounts or use a gel or sharpie pen as those bleed through the paper. The Postal Investigator said that I would be added to the spreadsheet of the victims. Seems to be running rampant in the Southern Maryland area.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had a check for a utility company for 155.18 altered to 8,000.00. MSP advised to change accounts or use a gel or sharpie pen as those bleed through the paper. The Postal Investigator said that I would be added to the spreadsheet of the victims. Seems to be running rampant in the Southern Maryland area.
Still! The longer this drags on, the more proof it is that high-level postal employees are running it.

TPD

the poor dad
Well it has happened again! Another stolen check from my business but this time the check was actually cashed by the bank. I wrote the check for $100 but the check was cashed for $9800. I can't go thru this again with closing accounts and transferring everything!!!! Merry Christmas to me.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well it has happened again! Another stolen check from my business but this time the check was actually cashed by the bank. I wrote the check for $100 but the check was cashed for $9800. I can't go thru this again with closing accounts and transferring everything!!!! Merry Christmas to me.
How did they not catch it?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Mommy Dearest had one of the 2 checks I mailed last week for her go missing. CommonWealth One in Alexandria never received her payment. Cedar Point was able to catch it, cancel it, and flag her account. The one that went to the Visa processing center in Georgia made it fine. I think she's sold on the $5 processing fee they both charge for online payment.

I'm sorry to hear they got you again TPD.

DaSDGuy

Most of these checks are disappearing at the Capitol Heights distribution center. It doesn't matter which kind of mailbox you start with. We've even had checks disappear that were hand posted at either the Lexington Park or California Post Offices. They all send them to Capitol Heights.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A quick web search shows it's a very widespread problem but since the FBI is concentrating on things like illegal tourists in the Capitol, Missing Tags from Mar-A-Lago mattresses and whether somebody posted an illegal opinion on Twitter and Fakebook it will never be investigated.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't know - waiting for a call back from the bank now. But looking at the copy of the check on my bank statement it seems obvious to me that it was altered.

This is very frustrating!
Would using a Sharpie help with the washing of the checks?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I don't know - waiting for a call back from the bank now. But looking at the copy of the check on my bank statement it seems obvious to me that it was altered.

This is very frustrating!
When I had my store, most of the vendors were paid by check to the truck driver at delivery. The others, electric bill, etc I used online banking. Or a credit card which had cash back rewards which I paid in full every month (well, maybe not at the beginning!)
I hate to read about this happening to you and others.
Thieves should have their hands chopped off.