Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

PeoplesElbow

It really wouldn't matter much, would it? They steal the checks and if they can rinse the info off they try to forge other info. Otherwise they throw the checks away. Bottom line is the checks are stolen and will not pay the bills.

The check thefts have to be stopped or electronic payments must be used. No other solutions.
As long as the bank keeps giving back the money, but if they didn't I sure wouldn't care as much about an unpaid bill and I sure as hell take any step I could to keep my money from being stolen.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
.. I sure wouldn't care as much about an unpaid bill .
You might not care..but its an entirely different matter to a business that relies on its DNB or similar credit score to maintain its accounts. Miss making a couple $10,000 payments on a critical supplier's terms and see how fast your cash flow goes in to the toilet when they withdraw those net-payment terms.

We were "lucky"..a couple of our key suppliers contacted our account-payable gal with "you guys always pay on time but..." phone calls. That's when and how we were first tipped off about the epidemic of check thieving.

PeoplesElbow

You might not care..but its an entirely different matter to a business that relies on its DNB or similar credit score to maintain its accounts. Miss making a couple $10,000 payments on a critical supplier's terms and see how fast your cash flow goes in to the toilet when they withdraw those net-payment terms.

We were "lucky"..a couple of our key suppliers contacted our account-payable gal with "you guys always pay on time but..." phone calls. That's when and how we were first tipped off about the epidemic of check thieving.
Just curious with amounts like that and if having the bills paid on time is that important why use plain mail and not registered?

Any stock certificate sending I do I use registered if above $2k

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
why use plain mail and not registered?
I recently had to send a rather large check, so I sent it registered. It took 10 days. Regular mail is normally 2 days to the same location. I've found it's actually better to use a flat-rate 9x12 envelope, 2-3 days, trackable, a lot more expensive than a stamp but less expensive than registered and more reliable.

PeoplesElbow

I recently had to send a rather large check, so I sent it registered. It took 10 days. Regular mail is normally 2 days to the same location. I've found it's actually better to use a flat-rate 9x12 envelope, 2-3 days, trackable, a lot more expensive than a stamp but less expensive than registered and more reliable.
Flat rate priority doesn't receive the same security as registered. Brokerages suggest registered.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Flat rate priority doesn't receive the same security as registered. Brokerages suggest registered.
I was sweating bullets wondering where it was, the status updates were horrible.

I've since authorized my broker for direct bi-directional EFT. I know that doesn't work in Gilligan's case.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Just curious with amounts like that and if having the bills paid on time is that important why use plain mail and not registered?

Any stock certificate sending I do I use registered if above $2k

Stock certificates are still issued? I though they did away with those years ago and instead just send a statement of the amount of shares owned/controlled?

PeoplesElbow

Stock certificates are still issued? I though they did away with those years ago and instead just send a statement of the amount of shares owned/controlled?
Occasionally, mine were my dad's, when he passed away instead of it being electronic they issued me ones in my name. Also had a company spin off part of itself and they sent me a paper certificate. My personal accounts are all online though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well continue on the way you were it's working out so well.
You've clearly never owned a business that cuts 30-40 grand in supplier checks every month. For the last 35 years with no problems. You've also identified yourself as one of those that want the victims of criminal activity to "adjust" to having it be normal life, rather than attack and kill the illegal activity instead.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

You've clearly never owned a business that cuts 30-40 grand in supplier checks every month. For the last 35 years with no problems. You've also identified yourself as one of those that want the victims of criminal activity to "adjust" to having it be normal life, rather than attack and kill the illegal activity instead.

Laws are made to protect criminals from the vengeance of the people. When they are actually enforced that is.

PeoplesElbow

Doesn't matter, it's called being proactive, same as putting a lock on my shed vs whining to the cops that clearly won't do anything about it.
If nothing is done about it are you just going to keep on keeping on?
Do you actually expect anything to be done about it?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So you aren't going to do anything about it other than bitch about the PO not doing anything about it?
Say..I got a great idea...why don't you stop by our offices and talk to our contracts and accounts manager. She'll explain all the crazy crap she's been going through to assure our payments go and come these days without being stolen by USPS. Then I can explain to your sorry ignorant arse how much all that crap is adding to our overhead. Then you can go home and thank your lame arse that you never risked being in business for yourself, like I have for the last 40+ years.

Fawk you.

PeoplesElbow

Say..I got a great idea...why don't you stop by our offices and talk to our contracts and accounts manager. She'll explain all the crazy crap she's been going through to assure our payments go and come these days without being stolen by USPS. Then I can explain to your sorry ignorant arse how much all that crap is adding to our overhead. Then you can go home and thank your lame arse that you never risked being in business for yourself, like I have for the last 40+ years.

Fawk you.
Enjoy your added overhead. PS is it your time of the month, you got really pissy?

TPD

the poor dad
It's easy for people who only have 4 or 5 bills per month tell a business owner with 15-25 or more per month to just do everything online or send a check certified mail or pay everything with a credit card. It don't work that way homey! Try to manage logins and passwords for 10 or more vendors to pay online and then when you have a change in personnel, going thru and creating new logins and passwords and assuring the old employee no longer has access to those accounts. If you do bill pay thru the bank, guess what happens, other than more passwords - The bank MAILS A CHECK to the vendor which can also get stolen the same as if I mailed the check! We just want the postal service to do their damn job!

It is my belief that because the average lazy ass American doesn't want to get off their couch and go to the bank and actually talk to a person that we are in this mess now - it's called mobile deposit! Watermarks or extra security features on a check mean sh!t if you can take my secure check and snap a picture of it to deposit it. There is no bank teller physically touching the check to verify its authenticity or verifying the person's identity. Which means there is no video footage of the thief ever coming in the bank. Why stop at mobile deposit for checks - lets use it for cash as well. What could possibly go wrong?!

A small business like mine doesn't have the time or resources to devote to an entire accounting department to handle crap like this. Just fix the damn postal service and prosecute these thieves!!

PeoplesElbow

It's easy for people who only have 4 or 5 bills per month tell a business owner with 15-25 or more per month to just do everything online or send a check certified mail or pay everything with a credit card. It don't work that way homey! Try to manage logins and passwords for 10 or more vendors to pay online and then when you have a change in personnel, going thru and creating new logins and passwords and assuring the old employee no longer has access to those accounts. If you do bill pay thru the bank, guess what happens, other than more passwords - The bank MAILS A CHECK to the vendor which can also get stolen the same as if I mailed the check! We just want the postal service to do their damn job!

It is my belief that because the average lazy ass American doesn't want to get off their couch and go to the bank and actually talk to a person that we are in this mess now - it's called mobile deposit! Watermarks or extra security features on a check mean sh!t if you can take my secure check and snap a picture of it to deposit it. There is no bank teller physically touching the check to verify its authenticity or verifying the person's identity. Which means there is no video footage of the thief ever coming in the bank. Why stop at mobile deposit for checks - lets use it for cash as well. What could possibly go wrong?!

A small business like mine doesn't have the time or resources to devote to an entire accounting department to handle crap like this. Just fix the damn postal service and prosecute these thieves!!
Understand that, I manage bills for two households and I send out over 20 medical bills alone a month for my mom. I understand it takes time.
I am also a realist, there should be zero reason for the mess the postal service is, but it just is.

I forget where I heard it, but it's advise I live by "nobody cares more about your money than you do"

If it doesn't get fixed what are you going to do, close your business?