Mail Fraud - Stolen Checks!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Believe it's a coordinated attack by the post office to encourage EFTs and move away from a cash society. Too many cities being hit with thefts to be a gang hitting mailboxes.
It is my contention that the "mailbox theft" story was being pushed by USPS as a red herring diversion from the "big money" operation they have going....100% of which involves the wholesale theft of mail after it is well inside of USPS processing operations.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It is my contention that the "mailbox theft" story was being pushed by USPS as a red herring diversion from the "big money" operation they have going....100% of which involves the wholesale theft of mail after it is well inside of USPS processing operations.
They have to fund those ballot grabbers off the books somehow.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It was mentioned on the Big Saturday Show on FOX tonight. Also on Chesapeake Today website.

Grumpy

It was mentioned on the Big Saturday Show on FOX tonight. Also on Chesapeake Today website.
I sent an email to Elise Stefanik asking that she ramp up her oversight of this since it appears it's a nationwide fraud that isn't getting the attention it deserves. Asked for a reply, but haven't gotten an acknowledgement yet..(sent last night, so I'll see what happens COB Monday.

vince77

When I was a kid (late 60's) , I got a PT job in the afternoon (after school, 16 hours a week) working at a post office in Northern Virginia sorting mail. I recall one of my fellow employees was stealing holiday charity checks sponsored by a local bank every year. They never made it to the bank. Questions ensued, postal inspectors hid in the post office caught him, He was fired and forced to make restitution. Second incident; another fellow employee, and this guy was a friend, was a mail carrier with hours from 7-3. He also belonged to a band who practiced at 330pm. He was a slow carrier always running late,. So at 3pm, whatever mail he had, he threw it away so he could get back to the PO to make it to band practice. Complaints ensued, he was caught and fired. That was 50+ years ago, my guess is things have only gotten worse. That's why I bank electronically today, less people, less problems. Last month, I went to the ATM at my bank to withdraw $200 in an account I keep around 3K in. Insufficient funds, balance $24. Whoa. Went inside spoke to the manager, went through my account electronically, account had been hacked, withdrawals in Jamaica/Florida. Had the money back in my account in 3 days.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That was 50+ years ago, my guess is things have only gotten worse. That's why I bank electronically today, less people, less problems.
Unfortunately, with a business like ours, we still have to cut and mail a lot of checks. I have added an ACH feature since the check-stealing occurred and set that up for several of our larger repeat suppliers. Just starting to use that for the first times this month.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm sure the USPS employees that are stealing all these checks are pretty darned good at spotting them...however they are doing it.
This used to be a good thing. An envelope for Mr Gilligan with no address? Oh, his great aunt just died and he will be getting sympathy cards, just put it in his box.

These days, not so much. Return to Sender!

We used to know A LOT about y'all, and we mostly kept our mouths shut. Wife opens her own PO box?, not our business. Priest getting gay mags?, you didn't hear it from me. Someone with the pink late electic bill?, nope, not going there.

my-thyme

Patron
I already regarded the local USPS with a high degree of distrust; they opened some of my packages to "inspect" the contents and then carefully placed the opened packages, still containing all the "small firearms parts" - not a single part missing! - in my mailbox and refused to provide even a lame explanation of what "happened".
The only boxes we used to be able to open were packages sent Media Mail that we suspected were not media.

I opened a few when I worked at the office that served St Marys College. If it rattled, sent media, yup. Silverware, frisbees, clothes, pillows. When the kid had to pay the difference in postage, they weren't happy. But we always hoped it stopped it for that kid.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The only boxes we used to be able to open were packages sent Media Mail that we suspected were not media.

I opened a few when I worked at the office that served St Marys College. If it rattled, sent media, yup. Silverware, frisbees, clothes, pillows. When the kid had to pay the difference in postage, they weren't happy. But we always hoped it stopped it for that kid.
The package of firearm parts was one of the soft plastic shipping "bags".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This used to be a good thing. An envelope for Mr Gilligan with no address? Oh, his great aunt just died and he will be getting sympathy cards, just put it in his box.

These days, not so much. Return to Sender!

We used to know A LOT about y'all, and we mostly kept our mouths shut. Wife opens her own PO box?, not our business. Priest getting gay mags?, you didn't hear it from me. Someone with the pink late electic bill?, nope, not going there.
All of our mail being stolen is outgoing, business to business checks, and all being stolen at the (nearly 100% certainly
) the Waldorf Processing Center.

But I do miss the days when I'd receive mail addressed simply my name, city and state, .and get it every time.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

:lol: Kids will try anything. My friend was as cheap as they come. Still is. To let someone know he arrived safe at a destination, he would find a phone outlet, plug in a cheapo phone and call the operator for a person-to-person call. The recipient knew he was doing this, and would refuse the call. Call made, message delivered, no cost.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:lol: Kids will try anything. My friend was as cheap as they come. Still is. To let someone know he arrived safe at a destination, he would find a phone outlet, plug in a cheapo phone and call the operator for a person-to-person call. The recipient knew he was doing this, and would refuse the call. Call made, message delivered, no cost.
yeah..yeah..sure...your "friend" did that. wink wink nod nod..

my-thyme

Patron
The package of firearm parts was one of the soft plastic shipping "bags".
I'm not sure that opening this would have been considered "legal". But again, could have been opened anywhere along the way.

Had a customer that bought gold and silver, always came marked "machine parts". He got a big kick out of opening it and showing me what it REALLY was.

my-thyme

Patron
And the parents that would insist on sending Little Johnny at college a package Media Mail, after telling me what was in the box. I'd say it one time, "That doesn't qualify, you have to use Parcel Post", they'd argue, I'd shrug and do it. They'd pay $12 for a package that should have been $48.

I'd take it right around the corner, stamp it Not Media Mail, Postage Due $36, and send it on to Johnny. They never knew that I was the one that marked it up, could have happened anywhere along the route.

More than one came back and told me they wished they had listened to me, Johnny had to use his money to pay the postage.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
yeah..yeah..sure...your "friend" did that. wink wink nod nod..
Hold on a sec.....

Hi, I'm Sneaker's friend, and this is not Sneakers saying this. I hereby state that it was I and only I that perpetrated this violation of the Bell Telephone System. And Sneakers was not involved in any way.
Signed,
Sneaker's Friend.

There.... SEE!?!?! Proof it wasn't me.