Man rhrows brick and pastor, pastor blows him away

PsyOps

Pixelated
The body was moved and they had a long standing issue between the two so the dead man can't tell his side of the story. Maybe it wasn't exactly as it was reported. And he can claim it was in self defense but I ask what he did to agitate the situation.

In my state, you better pull the body inside the house if you shoot them outside because you didn't retreat therefore your life wasn't in danger in the law's eyes.

I can't go on trying to discuss things with someone that simply wants to make their own facts up to support their argument.

C

Chuckt

I can't go on trying to discuss things with someone that simply wants to make their own facts up to support their argument.

I already posted it here:

http://forums.somd.com/threads/3042...ows-him-away?p=5585198&viewfull=1#post5585198

It is in the news and the facts from the news support my conclusions.

The man is allegedly accused of having an affair with the man's wife and I think that would make a lot of men mad and want to go visit the pastor. The newspaper reported the body had been moved and police took the pastor into custody.

Several Facebook posts by Smith before he arrived at the church on the day he died indicate that he recently found out that his wife was carrying the pastor’s child. On Sept. 15, Smith reportedly wrote, “That wasn’t my baby that was (his wife) and pastor(’s) baby.” Later, he wrote: “This (expletive) got my (expletive) pregnant. Tick tock (expletive) and everybody with you.”

http://www.vibe.com/2015/10/detroit-pastor-shot-man-after-getting-his-wife-pregnant/

The pastor has not been charged in the shooting; following an investigation, police will submit their findings to the prosecutor’s office for a decision to be made about whether the pastor’s shooting was justified.

http://www.vibe.com/2015/10/detroit-pastor-shot-man-after-getting-his-wife-pregnant/

The prosecutor's office is involved and though the pastor hasn't been charged yet, does it look ethical to you for the pastor to allegedly get their wife pregnant and then shoot her husband?

Last edited by a moderator:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I already posted it here:

http://forums.somd.com/threads/3042...ows-him-away?p=5585198&viewfull=1#post5585198

It is in the news and the facts from the news support my conclusions.

The man is allegedly accused of having an affair with the man's wife and I think that would make a lot of men mad and want to go visit the pastor. The newspaper reported the body had been moved and police took the pastor into custody.

The prosecutor's office is involved and though the pastor hasn't been charged yet, does it look ethical to you for the pastor to allegedly get their wife pregnant and then shoot her husband?

First of all, I was replying to your “Maybe it wasn't exactly as it was reported.”

Secondly, how does any of this cause you to conclude the minister doesn’t have the right to defend himself against someone trying to threaten his life; or that his actions of shooting the attacker were “out of line”?

C

Chuckt

First of all, I was replying to your “Maybe it wasn't exactly as it was reported.”

Secondly, how does any of this cause you to conclude the minister doesn’t have the right to defend himself against someone trying to threaten his life; or that his actions of shooting the attacker were “out of line”?

If it were just assault, it would be aggravated assault instead of just assault because the pastor allegedly did something.

Usually when you are messing with someone, you caused the person to retaliate and the pastor allegedly killed the man when he did.

Example B: Adam runs into Bill and gets into an argument. Bill insults and belittles Adam, at which point Adam insults Bill and threatens to beat him up. Bill then strikes Adam, and Adam retaliates in kind. It would be more difficult for Adam to establish self-defense under these circumstances than those in Example A, because Adam took part in escalating and provoking the fight by threatening Bill.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/assault-and-battery-defenses.html

I wouldn't be surprised if a wrongful death lawsuit was filed here.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/self-defense-overview.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it were just assault, it would be aggravated assault instead of just assault because the pastor allegedly did something.

]

The guy doing the assaulting isn't going to be charged with anything ...so it matters not that his assault was aggravated or not.

I'm sorry... there are just so many things wrong with this.

A pastor, and the instant he felt threatened, he has no issue with opening fire and killing someone in church, during service, with innocents nearby. What about "Thou shalt not kill" ? Can you say "hypocrite" ?

The guy had a brick. Big deal. Is everyone so unable to defend themselves that they can't duck a brick? If it's throw, it's slow moving, you have time to move out of it's way. Once the brick is out of his hand, he's unarmed. If he is in striking range, it's heavy to wield and easy to duck. The first reaction is retaliation with a gun? Not even close to being justified in my mind.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Usually when you are messing with someone, you caused the person to retaliate and the pastor allegedly killed the man when he did.

This still does not mean you do not get to defend yourself when someone physically threatens your life.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

A pastor, and the instant he felt threatened, he has no issue with opening fire and killing someone in church, during service, with innocents nearby. What about "Thou shalt not kill" ? Can you say "hypocrite" ?

The guy had a brick. Big deal. Is everyone so unable to defend themselves that they can't duck a brick? If it's throw, it's slow moving, you have time to move out of it's way. Once the brick is out of his hand, he's unarmed. If he is in striking range, it's heavy to wield and easy to duck. The first reaction is retaliation with a gun? Not even close to being justified in my mind.

A brick to the head can certainly be lethal. And I always thought that the "Thou Shall Not Kill" commandment had absolutely nothing to do with legitimate self defense.

stgislander

PREMO Member

The correct translation is "Thou shalt not murder."

PsyOps

Pixelated

The commandment “Thou shalt not kill” is referring to murder. Self defense is not murder.

So, a guy breaks into your home wielding a brick. Your child is there. Your first thought is he might smash that brick on your child’s head (which you know could cause death) and you have a gun at your disposal. You do what?

And you’re assuming the minister didn’t believe he might have had more weapons. I know I always make the assumption that someone that wants to harm me will likely have more than one weapon.

A brick to the head can certainly be lethal. And I always thought that the "Thou Shall Not Kill" commandment had absolutely nothing to do with legitimate self defense.

A brick can be lethal. My contention is that you can avoid it.

I'm not sure there are any qualifications in the 10 Commandments for self defense. But I'm an agnostic and don't read the Bible.

C

Chuckt

There may be mitigating circumstances.

Even though the pastor killed in self defense, it is still a homicide.

I believe there is provocation here and someone should decide whether it is adequate provocation.

Were all four bullets needed for self defense or is it murder?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Any time You take someone else's life, it is "homicide". Duh. It's whether it is determined to be justifiable (self defense) or some manner of manslaughter or even murder.

So, a guy breaks into your home wielding a brick. Your child is there. Your first thought is he might smash that brick on your child’s head (which you know could cause death) and you have a gun at your disposal. You do what?

That's not the event under discussion. That's a different scenario. Each different scenario will have a different response.

One bullet is self defense. 4 or 5 or 6 is intent to kill. In my mind, intent to kill is the same as murder, no longer just self defense.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A brick can be lethal. My contention is that you can avoid it.

And it is my firm contention that it does not matter how good a "ducker" I might be. When attacked I will defend myself.

I would agree that once the brick has been thrown and missed it's intended target, that is not then necessarily the time to start pumping bullets in to the attacker...unless he's got another brick and/or continues to be on the offensive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Pffft. One thing I know for certain is that nobody is EVER taught to "Shoot to wound" or "shoot 'em one time and then wait and see what happens".... There is no such thing as "shooting to kill" either.

You aim for center mass and you squeeze the trigger until the threat is clearly stopped/down/ended.