Margaret Brent School Out of Control?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I'll tell you something else:

As long as administration lets these kids run amok, a danger to other students AND teachers, crackpots are all they're going to get as teachers. The best and brightest, those who truly want to teach, aren't going to touch that job with a 10' pole.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I don't disagree. However, LR lumped administrators in with the teachers and that isn't a fair grouping. Many teachers don't care for their administrators because they are forced to work under different agendas and priorities.

They are all the same. And as vrai said, exactly! Where are these teachers picketing and protesting and striking demanding substantial changes to disciplinary issues in the classroom? It is their "work environment", isn't it? Where are the unions demanding such changes on their members behalf?

And to answer awpit, private schools do not "pick and choose". Unless you are referring to the elitist ones costing $35,000 a year or more, such as those in New York City. Those around here will accept any student.

Face it, you do not have a say in how your kids are taught in the public school system. Since when do you tell a theft how to spend the money stolen from you? Taxation of your real property, (ie your home) is theft, aka extortion. Ditto the income tax. If people would exercise one of many options outside of public eduction, then maybe the system would change. But to continue to send your kid to a public school and then try to work from within is folly.

And Hannibal, everyone has a story about a teacher. Which of course adds to the, "How can you even think to talk bad about teachers and the school system?", syndrome. The entire system is the problem. There is absolutely zero accountability. Everything gets whitewashed and cleaned up for the next election cycle. Rinse, repeat. And though a teacher may not start out for "the money", you can bet they stay around for the money and benefits and a super pension when they figure out how much it benefits them and how they can get away with most anything and still have a job.

The system has been so homogenized that it kills creativity and change. And this has been allowed to happen because "everyone has feelings".
But hey, we're doing a bang up job of teaching, right? 65% of Public School 8th Graders Not Proficient in Reading; 67% Not Proficient in Math

tipsymcgee

If I may ...

They are all the same. And as vrai said, exactly! Where are these teachers picketing and protesting and striking demanding substantial changes to disciplinary issues in the classroom? It is their "work environment", isn't it? Where are the unions demanding such changes on their members behalf?

And to answer awpit, private schools do not "pick and choose". Unless you are referring to the elitist ones costing $35,000 a year or more, such as those in New York City. Those around here will accept any student.

Face it, you do not have a say in how your kids are taught in the public school system. Since when do you tell a theft how to spend the money stolen from you? Taxation of your real property, (ie your home) is theft, aka extortion. Ditto the income tax. If people would exercise one of many options outside of public eduction, then maybe the system would change. But to continue to send your kid to a public school and then try to work from within is folly.

And Hannibal, everyone has a story about a teacher. Which of course adds to the, "How can you even think to talk bad about teachers and the school system?", syndrome. The entire system is the problem. There is absolutely zero accountability. Everything gets whitewashed and cleaned up for the next election cycle. Rinse, repeat. And though a teacher may not start out for "the money", you can bet they stay around for the money and benefits and a super pension when they figure out how much it benefits them and how they can get away with most anything and still have a job.

The system has been so homogenized that it kills creativity and change. And this has been allowed to happen because "everyone has feelings".
But hey, we're doing a bang up job of teaching, right? 65% of Public School 8th Graders Not Proficient in Reading; 67% Not Proficient in Math

I have to largely agree with LR. With kids in the public school system, I have begun to question many things. What is most problematic is the kids come home most days, I ask what they did, and there is very little for them to tell me. Their homework is 20 minutes of reading and whatever math we choose to make them do. That's it this year. Sometimes a math worksheet is sent home with about 5 to 8 questions per day of the week to do. More and more of the onus is on the parents to stay involved and teach, and seems like a lot of Ipad/computer time/free learning time for kids in the classroom. Having said that, I think all their teachers are responsible and good, but it just seems plans go by the wayside and there's this mixed bag of things throughout the day. By the time they do lunch, recess and specials, what time is there really to spend on English/Math/spelling/history?

I went to a catholic school with 6 kids in my class and thought my kids would get a more well rounded education and more exposure socially in the public schools. I've started to rethink that. The good/smart kids end up being left to do their own while teachers deal with more and more trouble and drama.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

In addition, if in fact, our children, are our most precious gift, and deserving of all things good and excellent, why do we settle for mediocrity in public schools? People will spend thousands to send a dog to obedience school before they will spend it on their child's education. All the while dutifully accepting government's excuse and reasoning that they know better for their child. They will spend big money, and buy the best dog food, consuming hours and hours and hours researching their best dietary needs, absent of any contaminates, preservatives, filler, binders, etc., and yet, when it comes to their own offspring, happily take at face value anything the government says about their own flesh and blood children's dietary requirements, and place on the dinner table complete crap filled with gmo foods, chemicals, HFCS, ingredients foreign to the human biopsychology, etc. But the dog eats healthy. The dog is educated.

Margaret Brent Middle School is not out of control. The entire educational system in the nation is out of control. And we let it happen all because we didn't want to take a stand for fear of being ostracized or looked down upon as not being supportive. When a person, one hundred years ago, could get by on a full eight years of schooling, raise a family and retire well, knowing and having learned far more than today's graduating 12th graders, that shows how far we have fallen. Whether we want to admit it or not, our publicly schooled children are complete idiots. And known for that the would over. Regardless of what you think.

“If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been “taken”. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” – Carl Sagan

“The news media is full of propaganda, due to the corrupting influence of huge corporations that own them or advertise on them. The overall agenda is to convince the audience to be in favor of and vote for their own victimization and abuse, willingly and voluntarily…The majority of the human population has allowed itself to be deceived through ignorance, deception, stupidity, chronic apathy or a serious lack of curiosity and questioning…as long as their bellies are full and heads filled with mindless entertainment…they’re happy. Genetic cloning is unnecessary. Cloning has already been done thanks to mass media brainwashing.” – Paul A. Philips

MiddleGround

I have to largely agree with LR. With kids in the public school system, I have begun to question many things. What is most problematic is the kids come home most days, I ask what they did, and there is very little for them to tell me. Their homework is 20 minutes of reading and whatever math we choose to make them do. That's it this year. Sometimes a math worksheet is sent home with about 5 to 8 questions per day of the week to do. More and more of the onus is on the parents to stay involved and teach, and seems like a lot of Ipad/computer time/free learning time for kids in the classroom. Having said that, I think all their teachers are responsible and good, but it just seems plans go by the wayside and there's this mixed bag of things throughout the day. By the time they do lunch, recess and specials, what time is there really to spend on English/Math/spelling/history?

Definitely seems like they are making good use of those 2 days per month they get for "teacher planning days" huh? What a crock!

I remember when teachers had to plan their lesson plans when I was in school. IT WAS CALLED SUMMER!!!

stgislander

PREMO Member
Speaking of teachers, the other evening I was listening to the story on Channel 9 about the PG Superintendent of Schools resigning. The head of the PG County Education Association (teachers union) pronounced the 'w' in sword. :lmao:

OldHillcrestGuy

Speaking of teachers, the other evening I was listening to the story on Channel 9 about the PG Superintendent of Schools resigning. The head of the PG County Education Association (teachers union) pronounced the 'w' in sword. :lmao:

That was long over due, that school system is all about the upper administration and could care less about the teachers. They have a track record of selecting some real winners as far as CEO's go.

Clem72

No worse than every third engineer at Pax sticking a "t" at the end of the word "across". Where the hell does that come from and why do so many people do it here?

stgislander

PREMO Member
No worse than every third engineer at Pax sticking a "t" at the end of the word "across". Where the hell does that come from and why do so many people do it here?

I've never heard that one before. I'll have to keep an ear out for it.

awpitt

Main Streeter

My favorite is when people say "realitor"

It's actually pronounced "realtor".

stgislander

PREMO Member
I want to apologize for hijacking this thread with my comment about a teacher mispronouncing sword. :frown:

MischiefManaged

To be fair, the class that had 5 teachers is a co-taught class and has 2 teachers and one was on maternity leave...still though-CRAZY!!!!!

MischiefManaged

Bull ####. Teachers get paid less than babysitters and they do address the bullying. It's hard for them to enforce it if the administration is not following through with consequences. Why don't you come into the schools and stop the bullying since you are apparently the only one that knows how to do that? Shouldn't parents be held accountable instead of saying "Not my kid."?

MischiefManaged

Please check your facts...there is no teacher union in Maryland. They made it illegal so they are required to have an "association" so they can't strike. If they strike, their contract is null and void and they don't get paid (the little that they do get paid). I don't know a single teacher that doesn't have to work at least 1 extra job to support their family while still raising said family. Yes, not all teachers are great...I will never understand why people who don't like children get into teaching, but don't let the few dictate your opinion on the many. If teachers only did what they got paid to do, there would be no lesson plans, clubs, sports, IEPs, or quality teaching. I would personally love to see everyone with that opinion walk into a school and try to teach, or minimally control, a class of 30 kids with different needs and helicopter parents. I know I wouldn't want to. I couldn't do it so I don't presume to judge them for something I myself couldn't do.

black dog

Free America
Teachers get paid less than babysitters..lol.

Maryland's State Department of Education publishes salary schedules for the 24 county public school systems within the state. Fulfilling the basic teaching requirements in Maryland for a bachelor's degree will earn a first-year teacher anywhere from $40,400 per year up to $46,561 per year.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Please check your facts...there is no teacher union in Maryland. They made it illegal so they are required to have an "association" so they can't strike. If they strike, their contract is null and void and they don't get paid (the little that they do get paid). I don't know a single teacher that doesn't have to work at least 1 extra job to support their family while still raising said family. Yes, not all teachers are great...I will never understand why people who don't like children get into teaching, but don't let the few dictate your opinion on the many. If teachers only did what they got paid to do, there would be no lesson plans, clubs, sports, IEPs, or quality teaching. I would personally love to see everyone with that opinion walk into a school and try to teach, or minimally control, a class of 30 kids with different needs and helicopter parents. I know I wouldn't want to. I couldn't do it so I don't presume to judge them for something I myself couldn't do.

Regurgitate propaganda much?

Funny, I know of not one other "profession" that whines, cries, bitches, moans, howls, squawks, and squeals, for their mommas teet, more so than [PUBLIC SCHOOL] teachers.

Also, you must know a lot of stupid teachers that "have to work at least 1 extra job", since you don't know "a single teacher that doesn't have to". Could it be they are living beyond their means? Maybe they are are a part of the same economic forces that affect the rest of us non-public workers? Union/Association ... semantics. Both serve the same purpose.