Massive Fire in Solomons

rio

I've not seen any cicadas in St. Mary's Co, but my in-laws in southern AA Co have a a good amount around their house.

mdff21

Rarely. It was either tampered with or had a leak that nobody fixed. The tank themselves are far more robust than they need to be for holding liquid propane.

Propane tanks can explode. It's called BLEVE, boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. Google it and watch some of the videos.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A couple of quotes from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's FB page:
"Absolutely devastating. So very sad for those businesses. My husband and I were actually looking at the space for lease there last summer to bring a small business to the area however after having contractors go in to get an estimate on build out costs, there was just way too much work to be done. The electrical was needing to be completely ripped out because it was out dated and out of code. The hvac was old and there were many things they found outback that just didn’t sit well with me on a maintenance level and safety standards including only one exit/entrance point for that specific unit. There was no exit from the rear of the unit and no sprinklers or smoke alarms inside that space in between the vet office and bike shop. We decided it was too risky and would be too expensive of a risk to take so we turned it down. I just hope and pray the other tenants that have been there for years and years recover and reopen their businesses soon! I don’t live in the area anymore but I sure do realize how sad it will be to drive by this every day."

This was someone's response to that:
"I believe it. I'm 43 and that string of stores has bn there way before me! I never recall any type of leasehold improvements or Reno's EVER so this is actually not surprising. Just unfortunate. Hopefully real estate owners will see this and realize - keeping your property maintained is worth the investment .... ijs"
They were looking to lease the space I occupied for 5 1/2 years...

Reactions: BOP

BernieP

Resident PIA
A couple of quotes from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's FB page:
Dear heavenly father, did you not get the pun?
Cicada ==bug

I ****ing give up, when you need to label things as "sarcasm", "pun"
This is why the Babylon Bee gets crap now, even though it advertises itself as sarcasm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Propane tanks can explode. It's called BLEVE, boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. Google it and watch some of the videos.
But they don’t spontaneously do that just sitting by your patio grill. Ie....not the initial cause of that fire. Certainly would have added to the blaze in a big way after fully involved though..

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Never said they couldn't, just very rare to self-ignite. I've never seen one, and don't know anyone that has witnessed one spontaneously ignite.

BOP

Dear heavenly father, did you not get the pun?
Cicada ==bug

I ****ing give up, when you need to label things as "sarcasm", "pun"
This is why the Babylon Bee gets crap now, even though it advertises itself as sarcasm.
I'm old, Bernie; what do you want from me?

mdff21

Never said they couldn't, just very rare to self-ignite. I've never seen one, and don't know anyone that has witnessed one spontaneously ignite.

I didn't say they would self ignite. there is always an outside source that causes ignition. The tank exposed to fire starts heating, the safety blows and you have ignition. When the safety can not release the pressure fast enough then you would have a BLEVE

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got ahold of Solomons Vet through email and they can refill prescriptions through Three Notch Vet so I will be picking up Boone and Gracie's Revolution Plus from there this week. I guess I might try them out as our regular vet since who knows when Solomons will be up and running again. Not too far from home (about 20 minutes) and they have a $25 off coupon for your first visit. I don't plan on doing a wellness check until August when all their vaccines are due but I will keep Three Notch in mind for sure.