Maximum Fitness

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Forget everything nice I ever said about them.

Last month I had those bogus credit card charges so my cc company issued me a new card. I forgot to call MaxFit and give them the new number so they called me middle of May to tell me that my credit card had been declined, and PS I also owe them a late fee in addition to the declined cc fee.

So I went in the following day to cancel my membership and settle up with them. The girl at the counter waived the decline fee, but I still owed the late fee of $15 and for the month of June since I didn't cancel before the new billing period.

Fine. I give her my credit card and she charges me $39.95.

Yesterday I got a call from them saying that I owe more money because I didn't pay the decline fee. I tell her the girl I paid said she waived it. She goes to her manager and calls me back today saying I need to come in and pay them more money. I explained to her again that the girl behind the counter said the decline fee was waived. She says, no, it wasn't.

Do I have the receipt?
No, but it's on my cc statement.
Can I print that out and bring it in?

No, bitch, no I can't print it out and bring it in. Take it to the States Attorney. No, I am not coming in with my cc statement proving I paid what I paid. No, I am not giving you chislers another dime. And no, I am not going to make your incompetence my problem.

She chirped, "Okay!" in this snotty bitch tone like she's got one over on me. Who do these #######s think they are? I'd been a member there for six years, and you better believe they will never get another penny out of me.

When I went in there to settle up with them, I paid in full. Why wouldn't I? I was there for that specific purpose and to cancel my membership since they won't let you do it over the phone. They took the credit card and ran it, it wasn't even done over the phone. I asked the girl, "So we're good now?" and she replied, "Yes." And now they're calling and wanting more money.

They can kiss my ass and it will be absolutely worth a trip to court to shove it in their face.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Worlds told me my membership would just run out after my 2 year contract but it didn't and they kept charging me. I noticed it immediately and when I went in they told me I had already paid for that month and they had a one month notification policy for cancellation so they got 2 extra months out of me. I'm PC and avoid conflict so I just thanked them and went home.

C

czygvtwkr

I often think places do the so called "billing mistakes" on purpose hoping that most people cave and pay.

I would be wary that they send it to collection and ruin your credit because of it.

Bank of America recently just sent me another CC and said here use this one, we are changing your number, for what reason IDK but I forgot to notify everyone that had an automatic charge set up to it. Southern Maryland Oil had me in arrears of about $500 and were very pleasant and no trouble at all when they found out that my # had been changed.

C

czygvtwkr

Worlds told me my membership would just run out after my 2 year contract but it didn't and they kept charging me. I noticed it immediately and when I went in they told me I had already paid for that month and they had a one month notification policy for cancellation so they got 2 extra months out of me. I'm PC and avoid conflict so I just thanked them and went home.

If they had traditional tank toilets you should give them an "upper decker".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Worlds told me my membership would just run out after my 2 year contract but it didn't and they kept charging me.

MaxFit did that as well but I didn't care because I was going to renew anyway. I mean, not now or ever again in the future, but then it didn't bother me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Southern Maryland Oil had me in arrears of about $500 and were very pleasant and no trouble at all when they found out that my # had been changed.

Most companies don't. This is the first time I've ever heard of a declined cc fee. On top of a late fee. On top of the next month's payment because it wasn't canceled on a specific date.

What a freaking racket.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Many years ago, I worked in the corporate office for a health club. The sales people routinely pushed new members to use the "automatic monthly renewal system" for their (the new members) "convenience". Thus, when they decided to not renew, they kept getting automatically charged and the sales people kept making their commissions. It was a PITA for the member to get the payments stopped and a PITA for those of us in the office that had to deal with these irate people, while the sales people sat back and laughed about it. Total scam. This was almost 30 years ago and I have not and never will allow automatic payments from any of my accounts.

MMM_donuts

This is good to know. I don't have much use for a gym but I keep a membership for poor weather when I am unable to be outside (like winter - I have a firm "no jogging in freezing temps" rule). World Gym is most conveniently located for me (Wildewood) but my husband switched his membership to Maximum and I got to thinking that it's silly to pay more per month at World when I could just pay less, have a shorter contract, get 24hr access, get a towel, AND use those nifty treadmills with the big screens on them.

Now I'm thinking what's silly is that I continue to pay a membership at all. I should just save my gym membership moneys and get a treadmill off craigslist and put it in my basement.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Most companies don't. This is the first time I've ever heard of a declined cc fee. On top of a late fee. On top of the next month's payment because it wasn't canceled on a specific date.

What a freaking racket.
It's in their contract that you have to give 30 days notice if you want to cancel. I've been a member since they opened and have had a few bogus charges before. Each time it has been cleared up quickly, and a credit to my account. Too bad you had a not-so-good experience.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Now I'm thinking what's silly is that I continue to pay a membership at all. I should just save my gym membership moneys and get a treadmill off craigslist and put it in my basement.

I got a pretty good one for $100 :yay: I also bought an elliptical, Bodyweight station and a total gym. With all my boxing equipment I ended up with a pretty fair gym. (This picture was before the elliptical & total gym).

Last edited:

MMM_donuts

I got a pretty good one for $100 :yay: I also bought an elliptical, Bodyweight station and a total gym. With all my boxing equipment I ended up with a pretty fair gym. (This picture was before the elliptical & total gym).

Nice! That's a really good looking basement you've got there!

I've been slowly building a nice little workout area in our basement. It's got weights, other various equipment like tires, resistance bands, bosu ball, and the Lifeline suspension stuff but I lack cardio since I had the gym contract. There doesn't appear to ever be any shortage of people selling their treadmills on Craigslist, though!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's in their contract that you have to give 30 days notice if you want to cancel. I've been a member since they opened and have had a few bogus charges before. Each time it has been cleared up quickly, and a credit to my account. Too bad you had a not-so-good experience.

I had no problem with that, nor the late fee, or even the declined cc fee (even though I think that's bull####). My problem was that I went in, paid them, was assured I was paid in full and good to go, and now a month later this person is calling me wanting more money and giving me attitude.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I can give you the credit card they sent my grandmother who died a year ago and you can tell them to bill that card... :doh:

I sent the bank a death certificate, cancelled her card and they STILL sent me a card after that one expired. I spent a 1/2 an hour on the phone trying to get that straight and was told to dial another number. I don't even care at this point and I never bothered to dial the other number. I hope some hacker gets it and runs it up to high heaven.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
We used to have a membership with Maximum, it was nice at first. Then they started getting cheap, equipment kept breaking or remained broken, and no one monitored the gym after a certain time frame. I think the last thing for me was when a guy must have let half the trailer park in one night. We cancelled when I messed up my shoulder. We just joined worlds a few weeks ago and the one in the park has much better equipment, and someone is on staff 24 hours a day.

They did ask me when I signed my contract if I wanted to auto renew, go month to month, or have the old contract cancel. She said they would contact me a month before so I could decide whether or not to renew. Maximum was cheaper, but Worlds seems a lot better.