McKays in leonardtown suddenly closed?

Clem72

TJs won't come to St. Mary's. There aren't enough people with graduate degrees to meet their target demographic. Whatever!
I don't get where you guys come up with the idea that TJs is somehow too upscale for SOMD. Is it the hand-written signs?

LtownTaxpayer

I don't get where you guys come up with the idea that TJs is somehow too upscale for SOMD. Is it the hand-written signs?
I don't believe they are too upscale. They want to have a certain number of graduate degrees in the population before they consider coming. We tried to get them here right before COVID. Living on a peninsula puts quite a bit of ground under the rivers and bay when they draw their circle over the map. It ignores people who work on base and live in VA, Charles, etc.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That
I don't believe they are too upscale. They want to have a certain number of graduate degrees in the population before they consider coming. We tried to get them here right before COVID. Living on a peninsula puts quite a bit of ground under the rivers and bay when they draw their circle over the map. It ignores people who work on base and live in VA, Charles, etc.
That's hard for a lot of people to understand, no matter the retailer. They look at a bunch of factors (I can't remember the name of the process-geo-something, maybe) when deciding. Demographics, income, education, traffic and road network, land cost, tax load. That last one is one reason why retailers left downtowns and relocated outside town limits in unincorporated areas/townships

That process is why Calvert will likely never have a Home Depot. But does seem to be a magnet for cut price stores (listening to the heads of the Economic Development people and the very special newer residents explode).

BernieP

Resident PIA
That right there is a big issue, one way in, same way out, trucks heading out empty increases cost.

BernieP

Resident PIA
To summarize, each store knows the demographic it appeals to and those that it does not. You can label them "uppity" or trash, doesn't matter, they are looking for their market. Some stores have a look and layout that says your are in, Target for example.
They might prefer a store built to their specification than a rehab.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

To summarize, each store knows the demographic it appeals to and those that it does not. You can label them "uppity" or trash, doesn't matter, they are looking for their market. Some stores have a look and layout that says your are in, Target for example.
They might prefer a store built to their specification than a rehab.
Funny. I was told by an "associate" at target, that Target's demographics is targeted towards women, when I asked why there was no section or items being sold related to hunting. (Because, who wants to deal with Wal-Mart?) And really, when you think about it, they way it looks inside and the merchandise they do carry, she might be correct.

BernieP

Resident PIA
For your consideration ...

Funny. I was told by an "associate" at target, that Target's demographics is targeted towards women, when I asked why there was no section or items being sold related to hunting. (Because, who wants to deal with Wal-Mart?) And really, when you think about it, they way it looks inside and the merchandise they do carry, she might be correct.
Never heard that about Target. For as long as I have know of the store, none of them have carried much in the way of sporting goods.
I've been in some Targets that have a really fine selection of spirits, wine, beer, etc. But even in Iowa, not much sporting goods.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I thought they just reopened as Bradford's, or something like that.
I think that was the Hollywood store. Haven't heard anything about the larger store in L'town or California. Charlotte Hall is outside my field of view.

Hollywood store is now open and called Bradford’s. Just like previous McKays, it is not intended to replace full grocery store shopping, but does carry a wide enough selection to cover needs. It is not far from me so I will be happy to pay higher costs for some items for the convenience of location as well as quickness of getting in and back out. I will appreciate the stone fire pizza and salad, soup bars, etc. as well.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
on potential replacements

what mckays are currently open?
All gone, Tommy filed for bankruptcy as I understand.
An investor bought the Hollywood and Charlotte Hall locations.
CH location to become some sort of clearance "mall."

mitzi

Hollywood store is now open and called Bradford’s. Just like previous McKays, it is not intended to replace full grocery store shopping, but does carry a wide enough selection to cover needs. It is not far from me so I will be happy to pay higher costs for some items for the convenience of location as well as quickness of getting in and back out. I will appreciate the stone fire pizza and salad, soup bars, etc. as well.

I'm going soon. So glad to see they'll have the hot deli. Also saw, many of the McKay's deli people are working there. I will get good cole slaw again (and chicken)!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm going soon. So glad to see they'll have the hot deli. Also saw, many of the McKay's deli people are working there. I will get good cole slaw again (and chicken)!
Report back please. I was out earlier today and the thought never crossed my mind to check them out. :banghead:

luvmygdaughters

Went in on Sunday, the butchers that worked at Mckays are there, the meats looked fantastic, the deli was open and stocked. I got some chicken salad that was delicious. Their prices are a little high, but, its convenient to be able to buy my steaks and wine at the same place.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Went in on Sunday, the butchers that worked at Mckays are there, the meats looked fantastic, the deli was open and stocked. I got some chicken salad that was delicious. Their prices are a little high, but, its convenient to be able to buy my steaks and wine at the same place.
That's good to hear, but McKays had a reputation for looking terrific with good produce and meats for a while, then slowly going downhill. I'm hoping the new managers of Bradford's don't let that happen. If a lot of the staff is the same, are the managers also?