MD Route 235 - A Neverending Saga

dum_blonde

da roads

Hey, it's been a couple posts since this can of worms has been touched upon, but here it is anyway. Driving at night or in the rain on a road with weird, wiggly, shifting lines is not about being a good driver, especially if you haven't seen that stretch of road before- it's about being a psychic driver. Sure, you can slow down and squint at the pavement, but that's not a lot better than using a cell phone, IMHO.

H

Heretic

How public contracts work.

When I was a junior in highschool the county contracted a company to add onto the school. They came in October and tore down quite a few walls and put up plastic and never showed up again until April. All winter long we had class in the cafeteria and wearing our winter coats. This is how public contracts work, once you start the work its yours so you can go off and start another job, and another, and another. General contractors take advantage of the state and county contracts every chance they get.

By the way when an earthquake hit California several years back thousands of bridges, roadways, etc from San Francisco to San Diego were damaged, some completely fell down. Millions of people couldnt get to/from work, people were actually sleeping at work during the week. It took less than 9 months to completely rebuild California's highway system. So when the contractor fed the line "it will take 4 years" to the state, county, or whoever they really pulled a fast one. Longer Time = More Money

Why are the lines so damn wiggly? It looks like a drunk painted them on. I guess they will magically straighten up in 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by MDindef
well put, blondie.
I second that, MDindef. Did anyone notice the roadies put down one stretch of new blacktop from Town Creek Dr. through the San Souci intersection, and stopped? The height of this thing is probably about 3 inches and causes you to roll over it at about 3mph; unless you want to jar your fillings loose at 10mph, and throw your car's front end alignment out of whack! Sheeesh!
penncam

SmallTown

Football season!
Probably a big conspiracy.. More than likely, the local car repair shops are the ones who won the contracts for road improvement.. They figure they can make money from that, and then make even more on the repairs on the cars that get tore up by the new roads.. Incredbile business thinking.. I need to change my line of work!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by SmallTown
Probably a big conspiracy.. More than likely, the local car repair shops are the ones who won the contracts for road improvement.. They figure they can make money from that, and then make even more on the repairs on the cars that get tore up by the new roads.. Incredbile business thinking.. I need to change my line of work!
:crazy: :crazy: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You have most likely nailed it down! You know, I was stationed in the military in So Korea in the late '80s, and if you want to see an example of how efficient man can be concerning construction, teardown/rebuilding, you have got to see these people at work!! It's a whole 'nuther experience.
penncam:cheers:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I'll add my $.02... I HATE the drivers that creep over the new stretch of blacktop at 2MPH. The ones that slow down the most are the ones driving behemoth SUVs. (Ladies you know who you are!)

I'm sorry, it is not that big of a bump, get over it and get around the &%#$ corner before the light changes!!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jlabsher
I'll add my $.02... I HATE the drivers that creep over the new stretch of blacktop at 2MPH. The ones that slow down the most are the ones driving behemoth SUVs. (Ladies you know who you are!)
I can honestly say, that is NOT me! I go fast and go over the damn bumps, what the hell do I have an SUV for anyway? Not to be a pansy driver, that's for sure. :biggrin:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Good for you! But you have to know the ones I mean though. I personally see no reason for an SUV unless I live west of Nebraska.

J

justhangn

Agreed, most SUV drivers only buy them for status or to my like the neighbor.

Idiots I tell ya.

Personally, I don't drive a SUV, but I drive like I do. :biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by justhangn
Agreed, most SUV drivers only buy them for status or to my like the neighbor.

Idiots I tell ya.

Personally, I don't drive a SUV, but I drive like I do. :biggrin:
Well, I didn't buy because I didn't plan to keep it forever. I had a baby and had stuff to haul around and still wanted room for other passengers. My Thunderbird wasn't baby friendly. So it goes away in July and a get a new car!

Delilah903

If I were looking for a status vehicle to get me anywhere I wanted to go, I would just buy a "Hummer". I could just ignore the bumps in the road, stop lights, pedestrians, etc...etc...etc...
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by RoseRed
Well, I didn't buy because I didn't plan to keep it forever. I had a baby and had stuff to haul around and still wanted room for other passengers. My Thunderbird wasn't baby friendly. So it goes away in July and a get a new car!

That sounds like the right reason to buy one.

Originally posted by Delilah903
If I were looking for a status vehicle to get me anywhere I wanted to go, I would just buy a "Hummer". I could just ignore the bumps in the road, stop lights, pedestrians, etc...etc...etc...
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Too big grunts to that. O O!! :lol: