Mike Vick gone...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
When the police arrived at Vick's compound, they found an atmosphere of unearthly calm. Vick was nowhere to be found, but the fences of his blood-stained fighting pit lay in ruins. The yard was filled with dogs. Although they bore the scars of their horrific treatment, they looked strangely well-fed and contented. Some of them were sleeping peacefully in the summer sun. Others were gnawing on bones. A few were licking the faces of their former opponents. One dog, hearing the approach of the police, turned his head and gave the officers a look that on a human would be called triumphant satisfaction. The dog rose and sniffed the ground for a minute before defecating. One of the officers spotted something strange in the stool. Walking up to the pile, he poked at the object with his foot. It flipped over and revealed itself - a Falcons jersey emblem.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Justice...

Tonio said:
When the police arrived at Vick's compound, they found an atmosphere of unearthly calm. Vick was nowhere to be found, but the fences of his blood-stained fighting pit lay in ruins. The yard was filled with dogs. Although they bore the scars of their horrific treatment, they looked strangely well-fed and contented. Some of them were sleeping peacefully in the summer sun. Others were gnawing on bones. A few were licking the faces of their former opponents. One dog, hearing the approach of the police, turned his head and gave the officers a look that on a human would be called triumphant satisfaction. The dog rose and sniffed the ground for a minute before defecating. One of the officers spotted something strange in the stool. Walking up to the pile, he poked at the object with his foot. It flipped over and revealed itself - a Falcons jersey emblem.

...has just been defined in this case.

Good work, my man and howdy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Mike Vick's...

...legal situation is getting worse.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/14/vick_0815.html

serious dogfighting offenses, his attorneys Tuesday were seeking a plea deal that limits his prison time and saves his NFL career, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations.

I started this thread wondering if he'd be gone for awhile or forever from the NFL and, barring a miracle that all or most of the allegations are simply not true nor even close to true, I do not see how he will ever get a job in the NFL again. I think it's just too large a PR hurdle for any team.

I mean, Pete Rose is seen as a guy who gambled. Thanks to Vick, even betting on his own team doesn't sound so horrible any more. It's JUST a baseball game.

Ray Lewis was part of a street murder scene in which a couple of not exactly saintly people got killed. Most people can digest that one as a wrong place, wrong time, wrong friends kinda bar fighty, maybe alcohol, running off at the mouth thing gone wrong. Yes, two people died, but, again, it wasn't two girl scouts and Ray doesn't seem to have played an active roll anyway.

An NBA ref shaved some points. I'm not sure anyone cares, at all. When was the last time anyone actually thought NBA reffing had anything to do with rules anyway?

And Barry Bonds, well, he went from being this hissed at monster, cheater, defamer of the national past time, an affront to the flag, mom and apple pie to now kinda accepted and noted as a long time awesome player any way, steroids or not. After all, this is the sport of the Black Sox scandal, players striking away the World Series, the aforementioned Rose, Sosa and McGuire.
So Barry took some steroids. Thanks to Vick, it ain't all that anymore.

How about Pac-man? How's he any different than Ray? Poor decisions. Immature. Spoiled. A thug, but, he didn't pull any triggers. All of sudden, he's just a dumb azz.

Now, that is not defining bad behavior down in my view. It is defining those things more realistically. Steroids, cheating on games that encourage betting which is illegal in most places anyway, fairly common homicide/bar violence scenarios.

Mike Vick has crossed a huge physical and psychological line. He's in the realm of child molesting here. He is involved in something that just really offends pretty much everyone and on a very deep level.

I read the piece and was picturing him sitting there with his lawyers trying to figure out what to do next. I mean, by now, he clearly knows his life has changed forever. He's gonna spend a fortune on legal fees. He's never going to get a big contract again, if any at all, playing football. His world is ####ed.

I just wonder if he feels like he deserves all this or if just simply can't see it like most of the rest of the world does.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
...legal situation is getting worse.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/14/vick_0815.html

I started this thread wondering if he'd be gone for awhile or forever from the NFL and, barring a miracle that all or most of the allegations are simply not true nor even close to true, I do not see how he will ever get a job in the NFL again. I think it's just too large a PR hurdle for any team.

I mean, Pete Rose is seen as a guy who gambled. Thanks to Vick, even betting on his own team doesn't sound so horrible any more. It's JUST a baseball game.

Ray Lewis was part of a street murder scene in which a couple of not exactly saintly people got killed. Most people can digest that one as a wrong place, wrong time, wrong friends kinda bar fighty, maybe alcohol, running off at the mouth thing gone wrong. Yes, two people died, but, again, it wasn't two girl scouts and Ray doesn't seem to have played an active roll anyway.

An NBA ref shaved some points. I'm not sure anyone cares, at all. When was the last time anyone actually thought NBA reffing had anything to do with rules anyway?

And Barry Bonds, well, he went from being this hissed at monster, cheater, defamer of the national past time, an affront to the flag, mom and apple pie to now kinda accepted and noted as a long time awesome player any way, steroids or not. After all, this is the sport of the Black Sox scandal, players striking away the World Series, the aforementioned Rose, Sosa and McGuire.
So Barry took some steroids. Thanks to Vick, it ain't all that anymore.

How about Pac-man? How's he any different than Ray? Poor decisions. Immature. Spoiled. A thug, but, he didn't pull any triggers. All of sudden, he's just a dumb azz.

Now, that is not defining bad behavior down in my view. It is defining those things more realistically. Steroids, cheating on games that encourage betting which is illegal in most places anyway, fairly common homicide/bar violence scenarios.

Mike Vick has crossed a huge physical and psychological line. He's in the realm of child molesting here. He is involved in something that just really offends pretty much everyone and on a very deep level.

I read the piece and was picturing him sitting there with his lawyers trying to figure out what to do next. I mean, by now, he clearly knows his life has changed forever. He's gonna spend a fortune on legal fees. He's never going to get a big contract again, if any at all, playing football. His world is ####ed.

I just wonder if he feels like he deserves all this or if just simply can't see it like most of the rest of the world does.

In the end, a lot of lawyers are going to retire rich, Vick may do little or no jail time, but his NFL career is over. In 10, 15 or 20 years he's going to be a passing story on CNN and ESPN, "Where are they now." him living in a tar paper shack in Mississippi and trying to live out his life in anonymity.

Well after I'm gone (if some addiction to drugs, alcohol or lead don't get him first) his obit will appear in the national papers buried deep in the sports page a long forgotten past NFL quarterback died penniless.

Kerad

No matter what plea deal his lawyers work out, unless Mike Vick is found not guilty of everything (in court), there is no way an NFL team will pick him up. It would be a PR disaster.

I think the best Vick may get is a shot up there in Canada with the CFL at some point down the road. Then again, Canadians love dogs, too...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Kerad said:
No matter what plea deal his lawyers work out, unless Mike Vick is found not guilty of everything (in court), there is no way an NFL team will pick him up. It would be a PR disaster.

I think the best Vick may get is a shot up there in Canada with the CFL at some point down the road. Then again, Canadians love dogs, too...

Even "not guilty" won't save his azz. He would have to prove that not only did he not know what was going on, but that nothing actually ever happened and the whole thing was made up.

He'll never play another down.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
MMDad said:
Even "not guilty" won't save his azz. He would have to prove that not only did he not know what was going on, but that nothing actually ever happened and the whole thing was made up.

He'll never play another down.
He's dealing w/the Feds-case closed. Federal prosecutors are preparing a new set of indictments in the case against Vick. The charges are believed to include counts stemming from gambling that he is suspected of having financed. In the indictment brought by the Feds in July, the Feds said that after a dog Vick sponsored in a fight lost in March 2003, “he retrieved a book bag from a vehicle containing approximately $23,000 in cash,” and gave the money to the owner of the winning dog. BINGO!
The Feds are also creating a framework within which it can prove a broader range of criminal activity and increase its likelihood of gaining at least one conviction at trial.
I gotta agree w/Larry on this:

GopherM

Darwin was right
:buttkick: The big pzzz off with Vick is that he definitely deserves jail time if he did what his running mates are confirming, but now he will go from earning a butt load of money to us poor taxpayers shelling out whatever it costs to keep folks locked away. I think at one time that estimated to be around $75,000 a year. That's a lot more than many people make in a year. And you know that like many young sports figures, he has probably not invested or saved much for the future. After his first stay in jail he will probably end up as another bottom feeder and we will end up paying for more of his room and board. :banghead:

garyt27

INAFJ
Vick and Simpson

I wonder if Vick has as much money as Simpson had. He murdered two people and got off. Vick may not play again, but he won't be broke. He will be able to write a book, maybe a dogfighting handbook. Where is his lowlife brother. I think he is playing somewhere. :smack:

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
itsbob said:
In the end, a lot of lawyers are going to retire rich, Vick may do little or no jail time, but his NFL career is over. In 10, 15 or 20 years he's going to be a passing story on CNN and ESPN, "Where are they now." him living in a tar paper shack in Mississippi and trying to live out his life in anonymity.

Well after I'm gone (if some addiction to drugs, alcohol or lead don't get him first) his obit will appear in the national papers buried deep in the sports page a long forgotten past NFL quarterback died penniless.

If we could only be that lucky....

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Bustem' Down said:
10 bucks says he starts next season.
Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal–and a likely prison sentence-to avoid additional federal charges related to a professional dogfighting operation, according to one of his attorneys. :whistle:

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter."

Apologize to everyone hurt? :lalala: