Military stories no one would ever believe

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
While I was at aircrew training in Pensacola we mustered and were told that there was a death at the pool the previous day. They told us not to talk to any press and if approached were told to tell them to contact the PAO.

Kid tried to quit rescue swimmer school but was tossed back in the pool and had a fear induced heart attack. Things went back to normal until the local newspaper printed a detailed story of how the kid died. The navy was forced to investigate. A few heads rolled. An E-5 went to prison while the officers were acquitted.

Homer J

Power Chord
Waiting in the chow line on the hangar deck on board the USS Saratoga.
A sailor walks over to one of the elevators that was up.
Takes off his boots, steps over the stanchion cable and does a swan dive into the Mediterranean Sea.
Now they call man over board and general quarters.
Mess deck shuts down.
I didn’t get to eat.

When were you on the Saratoga? I was there 89-91. Wearing this at work today.

CV-60.jpg

itsbob

I bowl overhand
87-88 Korea:

one of the enlisted guys in an Infantry Company - out for an evenings fun in one of the local bars
... gets a STD from the hooker he spent the night with
... restricted to barracks while he gets cleaned up
... 6 weeks he was on lock down
... goes back to the same girl as soon as he is allowed and over night pass again

... gets the #### all over again :doh:

When I was a Section SGT one of the Privates got crabs.. but didn't want to go to sick call for them (supposedly being told that it would go on his personal file and he'd never get promoted).. so these same BFFs told him to go get a canteen cup of diesel to soak his junk in... a known cure for crabs.

So now I have private with crabs and serious chemical burns on his privates..

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
When I was a Section SGT one of the Privates got crabs.. but didn't want to go to sick call for them (supposedly being told that it would go on his personal file and he'd never get promoted).. so these same BFFs told him to go get a canteen cup of diesel to soak his junk in... a known cure for crabs.

So now I have private with crabs and serious chemical burns on his privates..

We were in Subic Bay when A gang went out to play smile every one of them got the clap except one, he got rabies.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Worst one.. as an individual tragedy.

Young Soldier was a ground guide for an M60 tank.. a LOT of rules when you are a ground guide.. like, never walk backwards.. never lose eye contact with the driver.. NEVER, EVER get between the tank and another obstacle/ vehicle Tank.

Not 100% sure went wrong but the front edge of an M60 tank isn't a bumper, the 50 tons of metal comes to a sharp point, almost like a knife edge.

On this day, a beautiful sunny day at Ft Knox Ky, everything that could go wrong did.

This young soldier ends up getting pinned between the front edges of two tanks. Practically cut in half slightly above the waist, but alive and still conscious.

They call the medics, who call the Emergency Surgeon who decides that there is nothing they can do.. as long as the tanks stay he'll live awhile, but as soon as they pull the tanks apart they will not be able to save this young man..

The call goes out: Get his wife, let them say their goodbyes..

The wife is found, brought to the motor pool where this VERY young couple (I don't know if they had any children, don't really want to know) got to say their goodbyes. The wife stayed, I know she was there, while they pulled the tanks apart and she watched her husband take his last breath.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This young soldier ends up getting pinned between the front edges of two tanks. Practically cut in half slightly above the waist, but alive and still conscious.

I was going to mention this story, but I only had 2nd [5th, 20th who knows how many times it was retold] hand knowledge @ Fort Carson.
It was brought up as a reminder not to be between vehicles when they are going to start up.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Worst one.. as an individual tragedy. Young Soldier was a ground guide for an M60 tank.. a LOT of rules when you are a ground guide.. like, never walk backwards.. never lose eye contact with the driver.. NEVER, EVER get between the tank and another obstacle/ vehicle Tank. Not 100% sure went wrong but the front edge of an M60 tank isn't a bumper, the 50 tons of metal comes to a sharp point, almost like a knife edge. On this day, a beautiful sunny day at Ft Knox Ky, everything that could go wrong did. This young soldier ends up getting pinned between the front edges of two tanks. Practically cut in half slightly above the waist, but alive and still conscious. They call the medics, who call the Emergency Surgeon who decides that there is nothing they can do.. as long as the tanks stay he'll live awhile, but as soon as they pull the tanks apart they will not be able to save this young man.. The call goes out: Get his wife, let them say their goodbyes.. The wife is found, brought to the motor pool where this VERY young couple (I don't know if they had any children, don't really want to know) got to say their goodbyes. The wife stayed, I know she was there, while they pulled the tanks apart and she watched her husband take his last breath.

How tragic.

stgislander

PREMO Member
What year was it when the Saratoga accidently shot up the Turkish ship?
Found it.
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/02/world/us-missiles-hit-turkish-ship-killing-5.html

Thanks for that reminder. I was cross-decked to the Navy MIUWU in Lewes, DE at the time, and was supposed to attend that NATO exercise. Unfortunately because the unit flew commercial, neither the USN or USCG would pay for my travel over. That incident was the big talk of the unit when they returned home.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thanks for that reminder. I was cross-decked to the Navy MIUWU in Lewes, DE at the time, and was supposed to attend that NATO exercise. Unfortunately because the unit flew commercial, neither the USN or USCG would pay for my travel over. That incident was the big talk of the unit when they returned home.

At the time I was stationed here at Pax on shore duty.
The shooting allowed us to fly off, before the Saratoga pulled into Athens to start the investigation.

acommondisaster

#2 is exactly why I had to repeatedly remind my son never to date any women in the military. While I may just be an unenlightened old man, I have heard too many stories from too many people about how these ladies comport themselves once surrounded by hordes of horny single (or at least unaccompanied) young men.

As a female sailor (retired for 20 years now) this story and your attitude make me sad. Most women I knew in the military were no better or worse than their civilian counterparts. I was stationed with one girl who was sleeping her way "up the chain" - having short little affairs with men of progressively higher rank (pretty blond who was up to Navy Captain by the time I PCS'd), but by the same token, there was a woman (blond) at my first job as a civilian doing pretty much the same thing in the company I worked for.....there are skanks everywhere. I guess by your way of thinking, all blonds are skanks sleeping their way to the top. Your son should avoid blonds.

littlelady

God bless the USA
As a female sailor (retired for 20 years now) this story and your attitude make me sad. Most women I knew in the military were no better or worse than their civilian counterparts. I was stationed with one girl who was sleeping her way "up the chain" - having short little affairs with men of progressively higher rank (pretty blond who was up to Navy Captain by the time I PCS'd), but by the same token, there was a woman (blond) at my first job as a civilian doing pretty much the same thing in the company I worked for.....there are skanks everywhere. I guess by your way of thinking, all blonds are skanks sleeping their way to the top. Your son should avoid blonds.

I never realized you were in the military for 20 years. Thank you for your service, and bravery. You go, girl! :patriot: :smile: :huggy:

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was on that deployment. I was working on the flight deck when the rockets launched off. A crazy night.

I was out there with the ES-3A doing OpEval.
First time for the ES-3A to land on the Saratoga.