More granola crap

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

I am not going to comment. :lol:

Pete

Repete
We used to make it when I was a kid. Of course we made damn near everything. Where you going to hang it? :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hmmm...I must not have done it right or maybe I squeezed too much of the whey out, because what I ended up with was more like cheese cheese instead of cottage cheese.

So I said, hey! :lightbulb: And squeezed even more whey out of it, then salted it and added some fresh basil. Then I kneaded it until it was smooth and somewhat stringy, very similar to mozzarella. And now I'm eating it on some garlic butter pizza crust I made the other day.

:yahoo:

Pete

Repete
Hmmm...I must not have done it right or maybe I squeezed too much of the whey out, because what I ended up with was more like cheese cheese instead of cottage cheese.

So I said, hey! :lightbulb: And squeezed even more whey out of it, then salted it and added some fresh basil. Then I kneaded it until it was smooth and somewhat stringy, very similar to mozzarella. And now I'm eating it on some garlic butter pizza crust I made the other day.

:yahoo:

Homemade cottage cheese will be drier than the stuff in the tub from Shoppers. I remember my uncle getting it out and pouring buttermilk on it to moisten it up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Homemade cottage cheese will be drier than the stuff in the tub from Shoppers. I remember my uncle getting it out and pouring buttermilk on it to moisten it up.

This was pretty dry. But I'm not unhappy with the result - it made a tasty dinner.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
is it less salty than store bought? I want to eat cottage cheese because it is healthy..but the saltiness is too overwhelming for me..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I just made butter, too. It's a lot easier using the food processor than shaking it in a jar. :lol:

What other grandma stuff should I learn to make?

Pete

Repete
And I just made butter, too. It's a lot easier using the food processor than shaking it in a jar. :lol:

We used a blender and it works too.

When I lived on a dairy we used to have the coolers on the 300 gallon milk tanks conk out and a tank would sour. Most of the time you would call the dairy association and they would send a truck that picked it up for the butter plant. Sometimes we would keep it and make butter. We used an old tub type washing machine my granddad modified. He made paddles for the agitator and we would churn 20 gallons at a time. It sucked :lol:

Pete

Repete
Dill pickles
Cure and smoke your own bacon and ham.
Preserves
Sour Kraut
Graze a cow in your back yard then kill it yourself and butcher it.

belvak

Happy Camper

COOKIES!!!! Lots and lots of cookies!!! Cake would be okay too! And you can pass all your "test" cookies and cakes on to your fellow forumites for quality control testing!!! I would be more than willing to help you out! :buddies:

BTW, did you know if you took a Duncan Hines Pineapple Cake Mix (blasphemy, I know) and added a banana or two, used pineapple juice in place of the water, and added some Rum extract (or Captain Morgan - if no children would be partaking), it is really, really good? Especially in cupcake form!! Of course, I've discovered that some people like white whipped icing with coconut on top too.

You asked!!!!!