Motorcycle Accident - Avenue

bcp

In My Opinion
Barring an act of god, it most likely was the bikers fault. But, that doesnt mean all bikers on on a race towards death. You, Roy, make too many generalizations.

Hmm, mine is tall, silver, and operated generally much slower than I operate my car. So, in the words of Aps, if you dont have anything more intelligent to add, pipe down. You add nothing to the conversation.
The problem is that even though the majority of riders do so with a high degree of skill and responsible actions, the ones remembered are the ones that are acting like idiots.
all said and done,, because we remember those that drive in a reckless style, its just too easy to forget the majority that we see that do have sense about them.

I can remember all the idiots on bikes that I see with no problem, but I have to actually think about those I see that are just riding safely and enjoying the freedom that the bike brings.

I would love to ride again, but with the nerve damage in my foot I cant upshift, so people would get really pissed at me for driving all the way to work in first gear.
I tried the pedal shifter and while I was able to use it to some degree, it still was hard enough for me that I felt it best not to do so.

and there aint no way in hell that Im going to be caught on a Hondamatic. (do they even still make those)

I would love to ride again, but with the nerve damage in my foot I cant upshift, so people would get really pissed at me for driving all the way to work in first gear.
I tried the pedal shifter and while I was able to use it to some degree, it still was hard enough for me that I felt it best not to do so.

and there aint no way in hell that Im going to be caught on a Hondamatic. (do they even still make those)

IF you were really interested, you could consider a trike or CanAm Spyder. They can be outfitted with handicap controls. The Spyder has handlebar shifter...
An optional semi-automatic 5 speed transmission with reverse makes it even smoother, with easy shifting right at your fingertips.

Pete

Repete
The problem is that even though the majority of riders do so with a high degree of skill and responsible actions, the ones remembered are the ones that are acting like idiots.
all said and done,, because we remember those that drive in a reckless style, its just too easy to forget the majority that we see that do have sense about them.

I can remember all the idiots on bikes that I see with no problem, but I have to actually think about those I see that are just riding safely and enjoying the freedom that the bike brings.

Harley touring bikes have heel-tow shifters. If you can lift your leg you can shift.

bcp

In My Opinion
Harley touring bikes have heel-tow shifters. If you can lift your leg you can shift.
thats what I meant by pedal shift.
Its akward for me because when you shift down you have to lift your leg and place your foot on the front of the shifter, kick it down, then lift your leg to bring it back up to ready it for the next down shift.

I suppose I could get used to it well enough after a bit. Maybe after the youngun goes off to college.

but, I was looking at the Vulcans, I cant justify the price of the Harley touring bike.

oh, one other issue is with the foot drop, putting your foot down and catching the road could be an F-ed up moment in the day.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I would love to ride again, but with the nerve damage in my foot I cant upshift, ... and there aint no way in hell that Im going to be caught on a Hondamatic. (do they even still make those)

there is the Yamaha FJR1300AE with an automatic clutch and an up/down shift on the bar, the Honda DN-01 with a CVT transmission and all scooters are automatics. The larger ones haul ass

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
there is the Yamaha FJR1300AE with an automatic clutch and an up/down shift on the bar, the Honda DN-01 with a CVT transmission and all scooters are automatics. The larger ones haul ass
that will do it.
nice looking bike too. Yamaha that is.

I think that just as soon as I know if Im going to be one of the laid off due to budget problems in the county, I will go down and look at them.
price is pretty good for that size bike too.

right now though with the chance that I might become retired by the end of the summer, Im fixing to pay of the truck and camper lump sum like to get those payments out of my way just incase.
so, If I dont end up being one of the laid offs, I have a whole bunch of money each month that opens up for the payment... Of course, if I do get laid off, then I dont want any extra expense right now.

planning is everything.

thanks for the link. Im still going to go look at them this week sometime.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Late Saturday night at 1121 hours, Stations 5, 59 and 19 were alerted to a motor vehicle accident on Colton Point Road in the area of Full Pull Lane. Reports were of a motorcycle overturned and unknown patients. Chief 5 arrived on the scene shortly after dispatch and located a motorcycle overturned and a patient away from the bike in a ditch.

After a quick assessment, Chief 5 requested a helicopter for a category "A" priority 1 patient. Squad 5 arrived and the crew began patient care and stabilization. Engine 54 was next to arrive and checked the area for additional patients before handling the landing site for Trooper 7. Chief 5 established the command and held the assignment with units from companies 5, 59 and ALS.

Paramedic Ambulance 599 arrived and the patient was quickly loaded into the ambulance and transported to the landing site. Trooper 7 landed at the optimist park just up the street from the accident scene.

The patient was flown to Prince George's Trauma Center. Squad 5 remained on the scene and assisted the police with lighting for several hours. All units returned to quarters at 0230 hours.

Seventh District Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. - Company 5

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
thanks for the link. Im still going to go look at them this week sometime.

Don't discount the scooters. They have CVT transmissions and the 400cc and up will run 80+ all day on the highway and out run cruisers in the twisties

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
There's a slight, uphill, left curve in that area, which just happens to be a couple hundred yards or so past Co. 5 and it is not uncommon for oncoming traffic to drift across the center line on that stretch of road. (From the Optimist ballpark down to Co. 5) so :shrug: Cold have been any number of things so don't just throw out "Rider Error" just because it was a single bike wreck.

Judging from the marks on the road, it looks like the bike was already down and sliding before it went into the ditch.

glhs837

Power with Control
Colton Point Road, Avenue, MD - Google Maps

Could be. Being that its the first curve after two straight sections, could be he just lost it in the turn. The above link to the sat view of that section. Next one os google street view of it. Looks like those two small trees are the ones you see broken off in the VFDs picture.

Colton Point Road, Avenue, MD - Google Maps

Now, I did not say it was the bikers fault, just that its most likely. As for down and sliding, many folks, especially cruiser types, have this foolish notion that a motorcycle on its side stops faster than a bike using its brakes, and actually crash the bike themselves.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As for down and sliding, many folks, especially cruiser types, have this foolish notion that a motorcycle on its side stops faster than a bike using its brakes, and actually crash the bike themselves.

Please tell me you are kidding.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Easy peasy. YOu can outfit ANY bike (I think) with an airshifter or an electronic shifter on the handlebars.

Upshift using your thumb instead of your foot! And it's still not a "hondamatic"

glhs837

Power with Control
Please tell me you are kidding.

Nope, we had a big thread about it last year, one of our members here posted about laying his bike down to avoid running into a car. That sparked a huge debate about the whole thing. Coefficients of friction, inertia, response times, we covered it all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope, we had a big thread about it last year, one of our members here posted about laying his bike down to avoid running into a car. That sparked a huge debate about the whole thing. Coefficients of friction, inertia, response times, we covered it all.

So, if you are not ON the bike you have, in fact, avoided running into the car? :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
So, if you are not ON the bike you have, in fact, avoided running into the car? :lol:

Ah, technically, if you play it right, the bike hits the car, then you hit the bike. Of course, if you manage to hit with low enough force to not get injured, you were probably going slow enough that full on braking would have let you avoid the crash and the road rash both.

Problem is, very few folks know where full on braking ends, and wipeout begins. How far can you really brake before you worsen the situation? Very few riders know that point. Same for car drivers, of course, maybe %10 have any real clue as to how far they can push their vehicle.