Motorcyle crash, 2 killed. Makes my blood boil!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If the one(s) that perished were at fault due to their own stupidity, the family members should accept that fact and not place blame on the other party. This happens way too often.

A perfect example was the drag racing event on Rte. 210 in Accokeek earlier this year. The ones that died and their families should accept "equal" blame in that incident and not try to put the whole thing on the driver of that car. Anyone with any amount of common sense should tell you not to be in the middle of a major highway at 3am in the morning.

There might be a difference between standing in a multi-lane highway with your back to oncoming traffic and riding down the street to your home.

bcp

In My Opinion
Im thinking somewhere around 81 mph at the time the rider saw the car.

that would give a few feet of breaking prior to the skid starting,
then, leave an impact speed of right around 30 mph, or enough force to stop the bike about 230 ft before it would have otherwise stopped without something getting in its way.

PsyOps

Pixelated
:rolleyes: We do not know what caused this accident now do we?

Listen to me - if the auto/driver is at fault for causing an accident to a motorcyclist, who is obeying the law, then stiffer fines/penalties should be levied.

No where did I say a jack-ass on a motorcycle who slams into a car and the auto driver gets smacked hard with fines and penalties - where in the hell did you derive that from?

This is my opinion, sorry if you disagree and want to argue the point but I stand by what I just said.

Now you listen to me…

I want a stiffer fine imposed on the biker that ruined my brand new car. If it were a car, the drive probably would have been able to stop. But since it was a biker and he didn’t consider his ability to stop is increasingly less than a car he should be in jail…. I mean given your logic.

ALL accidents are a result, to a larger degree, of someone’s recklessness. I’m not blaming anyone in this accident, but one or both drove with a level of recklessness that caused the accident.

I want a stiffer fine imposed on the biker that ruined my brand new car. If it were a car, the drive probably would have been able to stop. But since it was a biker and he didn’t consider his ability to stop is increasingly less than a car he should be in jail…. I mean given your logic.

Lobby for it, it is your right. :yay: Like it's my right to be a member of the AMA and believe in the concept.

Your logic above is full of "probably"...

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Last I recall, that is a 40 mph road in that section... how fast was the bike going? If the bike was going considerably faster than the posted speed limit then the biker is the primary blame for this unfortunate event.
:yeahthat:

I don't know of the exact details of this case but the motorcyclist is not always the victim.

I was actually hit in my drivers side door by a speeding motorcyclist going about 40 mph. Totaled my Chevy Blazer. I was glad to have my window down that day, otherwise it would have shattered in my face.

JimW711

Driving the Z
There might be a difference between standing in a multi-lane highway with your back to oncoming traffic and riding down the street to your home.

Nowhere have I mentioned anything about the specific incident this thread was started about. Therefore, I have not taken any side or placed any blame regarding the driver of the car or the one that was riding the motorcycle.

I was trying to make a point that we all see idiots that drive vehicles and ride motorcycles in such a manner that violates the motor vehicle laws of Maryland. Sometimes these idiots die because of their actions. The sad thing is that when this does occur, you have friends and/or relatives that jump up to place blame on the innocent party instead of the one that was actually responsible.

bcp

In My Opinion
. The sad thing is that when this does occur, you have friends and/or relatives that jump up to place blame on the innocent party instead of the one that was actually responsible.

thats the point I was making in my post earlier

If I would have hit, or been hit by the bike that sped over the hill as I was pulling out of the driveway, I would have felt no blame for that accident.

if on the other hand I would have hit the guy in my blindspot on the beltway the other day, I would have been responsible for that.

just depends on what happens leading up to the accident.

Ponytail

Excessive speed and blind spots never mix well.

I feel bad for the families of all involved.

Would stiffer penalties do help? I doubt it. It'd make the victims feel a bit better, but that's about it.

Some bikers will still speed. Inexperinced bikers will still blow through intersections and across the paths of sideroad entrances with little to no caution.

There's alot that could have been done differently by both parties, it seems. And once again, we have a bad accident within a half mile of BOTH drivers residences. How can anyone not know by now that that is the most dangerous area for drivers...within a half mile of your residence, due purely to complacency.

I came VERY close just yesterday a half a block from my house, to getting creamed. Woman crossing a 4 lane road to go down my street that is used for a short cut for many drivers, assumed that I was turning into the parking lot before the street, and came zipping straight across to beat the cars that were behind me, and would have run me the hell over had I not stopped. She didn't even tap her brakes. She had this total look of confusion and "oh shiat" on her face. Her passenger was horrified with eyes WIDE open apparently thinking that I'd be in her lap.

#### like this happens every day, to bikers and cagers alike. People are ignorant behind the wheel and make bad assumptions if they fit their agenda.
This is where "Road Rage" starts. This is where accidents happen and people get hurt or killed.

Woodyspda

I agree with the post above... I've been around bikes and bikers my entire life and I'd like to think that the ones I know are responsible and alert. UNLIKE the JA who, at dusk, pulled a wheelie through the rte4/Indian bridge intersection.... mind you, he had a green and I had a green from the other direction.... I normally would have had plenty of time to turn but sensed this guy was going to do something stupid and he did. If I would have turned as usual, he would have creamed my starboard side with his wheel in the air. Plenty of witnesses but I'm sure there are those who would assume that I was at fault when I wasn't. Instead of turning, I honked as he set his wheel down beside me and whipped into the parking lot across the street. I would have gone over to let him know he was lucky but it would have fell on deaf ignorant ears... Really wish a cop was there to take this kids bike away but I'm sure he'll do it again and may not be so lucky next time. Next time it may be a 20 something with minimal driving experience....

As far as the accident on Willows.... I'd like to hear from the accident investigators how fast he was going, was his headlight on and were there any skidmarks....

beamher

In Today's Enterprise: Two killed in motorcycle crash

I say Lateesha Shonte Cooper needs to be put away for the rest of her life, or worse. Can't people just take that one extra second to look a bit more carefully (perhaps put down the cell phone?) to make sure the road is clear before you decide to pull out? Nothing like pulling out in front of a pretty much defenseless motorcyle.

Now I know there are usually two sides to every story, but...this is an unfortunate common occurance. "I just didn't see him".

I just don't get it....now two people are dead, because of Lateesha Shonte Cooper. Let this be a call to specifically look for motorcyles when pulling out into the street.

Oh, and I don't ride one (yet), but my Mom and Dad did, and I always worried about them; not because of my Dad's ability but for this very reason here.

:shrug:I didn't see this written anywhere

Go G-Men

Phillip Brian Natalie, 26, of Lexington Park was driving the Yamaha R-1 motorcycle west on Willows Road at 5:43 p.m. that day, police report, when the motorcycle collided in the roadway's eastbound lane with a car turning left to enter that lane from Crimson Drive.

... and what was the bike doing in the eastbound lane if it was heading west...:confused:

Not that I was there but it may have been in the east bound lane because there was a car in the westbound lane that he had the right of way on??? Just a thought?

beamher

The car was also a Camry and I have seen several Camry's that are barely hit with anything get a huge dent in it.

It is posted 40 and I don't believe that they were going that fast since they lived right there just up the street.

:elaine:I don't know them or any details regarding the accident, however, people speed all the time within their own community

bcp

In My Opinion
:elaine:I don't know them or any details regarding the accident, however, people speed all the time within their own community
not to mention that the skid from 40 would have been closer to 101.6 feet instead of 180

The car was also a Camry and I have seen several Camry's that are barely hit with anything get a huge dent in it.

It is posted 40 and I don't believe that they were going that fast since they lived right there just up the street.

Since you seem to want to believe they were going no faster than 40 when they saw the car and couldn't slow down enough to avoid a collision that bad, fine, have it your way.

beamher

This blame game is stupid when everyone knows the only reason these things happen is becuae people drive too fast (cars, trucks, busses, semis, and bikers ALL) and don't pay enough attention. People are impatient with their tailgating and demanding everyone drive at 80 or get the h### out of my way. People fumbling with their cell phones weaving, speeding up and slowing down.

All of you know who I'm talking about and all of you know if this is you. THAT'S why these accidents happen. Not because people have it out for bikers. No one is paying attention, no one is staying within a reasonable speed limit, no one is driving with care and patience.

saw a butthole, driving a tan/brownish coloered jeep liberty, doing this yesterday afternoon; when we approached the McKays in Charlotte Hall, I noticed both drivers pulled over :popcorn:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm curious...if I see a motorcycle speeding toward me, and I know he's speeding and breaking the law, should I pull out in front of him?

not to mention that the skid from 40 would have been closer to 101.6 feet instead of 180

Too many assumptions bcp. Suppose while you are at it, that the skid mark was from the rear wheel and the front was supplying maximum braking capability. What then?

I'm curious...if I see a motorcycle speeding toward me, and I know he's speeding and breaking the law, should I pull out in front of him?

You could act like you are going to, just to watch the reaction.

Not really and especially not if its a black Yamaha with windshield.

beamher

Here is a page that tlks alot about motorcycle skidmarks. Not sure if it really covers what needs to be covered and I am still looking. But aparantly if the front brake is used to stop it's going to leave behind a skid mark no matter what or I could of read it wrong.

Mechanical Forensics: Motorcycle Braking

my thoughts are with all involved........however, you seem to know alot and what to convict the car driver. Did you know the victims or are you a rider?

Last edited: