Msa?

S

saddlesore

Just joined this forum. Was going to try to figure out how this all works, but this thread is so good I had to jump right in. Good topic! Ya'll have some good points about finding a good trainer. Certification is good - you know there is a standard and the training will be consistent.BUT - if someone is certified level 3, for several disciplines, make sure you take from the one the trainer does. For ex., if the trainer does dressage, don't take H/J from them!
Also, riding experience is good, but make sure to see them! Some people are largely self taught & have some bad habits. The really good trainers who aren't certified have usually trained with big name trainers, not just local ones.
Membership in an organization doesn't mean squat. Just means you paid their membership fee, right?
Look at the resume. Maybe they showed on the A circuit as a teen, but then they haven't done anything more to improve themselves. Haven't moved up any more the last 10 years.
Somebody said, look at a trainer's students at the shows - good point! Are the students respectful of the judges, do they treat their horses well, have them well turned out and healthy looking? OR are they falling off all over the place? Do they have to use harsh bits and a ton of equipment to control their horse? Do they blame the horse for a poor showing? Do they need to use stronger bits for brakes?
I just moved to MD 3 months ago. So glad I found this forum!

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
saddlesore said:
Just joined this forum. Was going to try to figure out how this all works, but this thread is so good I had to jump right in. Good topic! Ya'll have some good points about finding a good trainer. Certification is good - you know there is a standard and the training will be consistent.BUT - if someone is certified level 3, for several disciplines, make sure you take from the one the trainer does. For ex., if the trainer does dressage, don't take H/J from them!
Also, riding experience is good, but make sure to see them! Some people are largely self taught & have some bad habits. The really good trainers who aren't certified have usually trained with big name trainers, not just local ones.
Membership in an organization doesn't mean squat. Just means you paid their membership fee, right?
Look at the resume. Maybe they showed on the A circuit as a teen, but then they haven't done anything more to improve themselves. Haven't moved up any more the last 10 years.
Somebody said, look at a trainer's students at the shows - good point! Are the students respectful of the judges, do they treat their horses well, have them well turned out and healthy looking? OR are they falling off all over the place? Do they have to use harsh bits and a ton of equipment to control their horse? Do they blame the horse for a poor showing? Do they need to use stronger bits for brakes?

:howdy: Welcome to the area

Eventer29

Did anyone go to the MSA clinic, that saturday? 2 of my kids rode in it, they were not happy at all, and neither was I. Hell I dont even think the clinician was happy, at least the one in ring 2. She had 20 horses and riders dumped into her 2'6 classes. She said she had never tried to teach a clinic with so many people in it. She did some flat work with them, well not sure id call it flat work, she pulled in the not so good horses/riders n left out what she considered her top 10 or so and had the rest watch them go. I didnt really feel that with so many people in the classes she could really teach them anything. Then they lined up and each got to do a small course of about 6 fences. That was it. The class was about an hour and a half, for about 45 mins they stood in line. She did quickly give the riders pointers after their course. she wanted them to run through the course or another before they finished but the management wouldnt allow it, they were already running waay over schedule as it was. We werent the only unhappy ones.
I was also a bit dissapointed in the organisation. They had a basic schedule posted. But they told us to check at the ring to see how things were running. Check at the ring they are totally lost! Ok so go check at the office again..nope they are lost/uninformed...Only through us bugging them did they finally get on the same page. this is MSA runnign this, I figured if they can run such a big horse show they can handle a clinic, guess I was wrong,and i guess thats the main reason I was so dissapointed.
On the other hand, the kids did the braiding clinic, which was just about one on one. The teacher was very nice and friendly and the kids enjoyed it. Now they6 can braid their own beasties for shows..well with more practice!
Ok lil whine/vent over.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Eventer29 said:
Did anyone go to the MSA clinic, that saturday? 2 of my kids rode in it, they were not happy at all, and neither was I. Hell I dont even think the clinician was happy, at least the one in ring 2. She had 20 horses and riders dumped into her 2'6 classes. She said she had never tried to teach a clinic with so many people in it. She did some flat work with them, well not sure id call it flat work, she pulled in the not so good horses/riders n left out what she considered her top 10 or so and had the rest watch them go. I didnt really feel that with so many people in the classes she could really teach them anything. Then they lined up and each got to do a small course of about 6 fences. That was it. The class was about an hour and a half, for about 45 mins they stood in line. She did quickly give the riders pointers after their course. she wanted them to run through the course or another before they finished but the management wouldnt allow it, they were already running waay over schedule as it was. We werent the only unhappy ones.
I was also a bit dissapointed in the organisation. They had a basic schedule posted. But they told us to check at the ring to see how things were running. Check at the ring they are totally lost! Ok so go check at the office again..nope they are lost/uninformed...Only through us bugging them did they finally get on the same page. this is MSA runnign this, I figured if they can run such a big horse show they can handle a clinic, guess I was wrong,and i guess thats the main reason I was so dissapointed.
On the other hand, the kids did the braiding clinic, which was just about one on one. The teacher was very nice and friendly and the kids enjoyed it. Now they6 can braid their own beasties for shows..well with more practice!
Ok lil whine/vent over.
We went to the Katie Monahan Prudant clinic. I thought you meant that one at first. She was fabulous! I would love for her to come down here to give a clinic.

BZHorseMomE

Eventer29 said:
I would have loved to have done the Katie Monahan Prudent clinic. A more local clinic would be great.

Eventer there is a clinic on May 12th @ Holly Point. Sounds really good with small groups doing 2 hour sessions. I'm sure if there is enough local interest we could have Katie Monahan Prudent or other top riders down in this area for clinics. Don't think any of the Barns in Calvert have a large enough ring to host something like that, but Holly Point has a large outdoor with a full course of jumps.

Sparks

saddlesore said:

I agree 100% Certification means nothing to me. Look at their students and how well they do and the absolute biggest for me personally is the trainer had better be able to get on and do it better than I can. (which isn't too hard these days :ohwell:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
BZHorseMomE said:
Eventer there is a clinic on May 12th @ Holly Point. Sounds really good with small groups doing 2 hour sessions. I'm sure if there is enough local interest we could have Katie Monahan Prudent or other top riders down in this area for clinics. Don't think any of the Barns in Calvert have a large enough ring to host something like that, but Holly Point has a large outdoor with a full course of jumps.
Yes. I will send out an e-mail reminder tomorrow. It is posted on SMoD advertisment. If you know of anyone interested have them e-mail or PM me. We are keeping it small, so each person can feel like they are getting their money's worth! There will even be a undersaddle only section for those that don't jump yet, and a problem horse/rider section. along with two jumping sessions. I am excited to have her come.

Sparks

FWIW - Hideaway Horse Center in Brandywine has an enormous indoor ring. I'm pretty sure they'd rent it out for a clinic.

K

Katie

Sadielady said:
Yes. I will send out an e-mail reminder tomorrow. It is posted on SMoD advertisment. If you know of anyone interested have them e-mail or PM me. We are keeping it small, so each person can feel like they are getting their money's worth! There will even be a undersaddle only section for those that don't jump yet, and a problem horse/rider section. along with two jumping sessions. I am excited to have her come.

I have the animal fair that day at the fairgrounds. I am the organizer of the pet pageant so not going would be a bad idea.

BZHorseMomE

Sparks said:
FWIW - Hideaway Horse Center in Brandywine has an enormous indoor ring. I'm pretty sure they'd rent it out for a clinic.

Sparks do they have an a full set of jumps too? Also do they have an outdoor and if so how big?? Guess the cost of using the facility could be added onto the price of the clinic. Also know Holly Point has a really nice size outdoor to.

Sparks

BZHorseMomE said:
Sparks do they have an a full set of jumps too? Also do they have an outdoor and if so how big?? Guess the cost of using the facility could be added onto the price of the clinic. Also know Holly Point has a really nice size outdoor to.

I'm pretty sure they have jumps in the indoor. It's a mixed use facility I believe. They do have an outdoor but from what I remember the footing was not so great, but that was several years ago. They may have changed it since I rode in it. You can google them for the number, I think they have a website.

BZHorseMomE

Sparks said:
I'm pretty sure they have jumps in the indoor. It's a mixed use facility I believe. They do have an outdoor but from what I remember the footing was not so great, but that was several years ago. They may have changed it since I rode in it. You can google them for the number, I think they have a website.

Thanks I'll check it out. :howdy: I think they normally run an ad in the Equiery??