Try this...still look like a paint??

red.jpg

Roger_ME_DE1.jpg

He's so handsome, can you turn my guy into a horse like him???? :howdy:

K

Katie

SouthernMdRocks said:
He's so handsome, can you turn my guy into a horse like him???? :howdy:

I want his tail for Ashton. Poor Ashton has such a thin tail.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Winn Dixie said:
What more is there to say, if Sadie and her friend believe what they're saying, it is a sad world indeed for the young riders. And, Fred... it's easy to find legitimate trainers, just go to the various certification associations and you can find trainers/instructors in any area of the country. Riding experience is wonderful, but I don't want my child riding with anyone who isn't insured, tested and certified to teach. JMO. :howdy:

While I certainly appreciate what ARIA and CHA are trying to do the certifications don't always translate to good riders, teachers, and trainers. I've had so called trainers in the past teaching in disciplines they never had success in themselves or later found out they've never had clients succeed in. If interested in Showing, Eventing, doing Dressage, etc. going to these events is my best suggestion. Go to the schooling area or watch from ring side to see which trainers are being successful. Plus well turned and happy horses. Go to the barns at the horse show and ask around. I certainly wouldn't turn down doing a clinic w/ Frank Madden, Joe Fargis, Louise Serio, Katie Monohan-Prudent, plus wonderful local Trainers like Kim Williams, Susan Porter, Carolyn Krome (& Kenny Krome), Pam Baker, Pat Foster (just to name a few) just because they aren't certified. Whenever picking a trainer do your research and don't just take a persons word on what there resume is (or what they've accomplished).

Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
BZHorseMomE said:
While I certainly appreciate what ARIA and CHA are trying to do the certifications don't always translate to good riders, teachers, and trainers. I've had so called trainers in the past teaching in disciplines they never had success in themselves or later found out they've never had clients succeed in. If interested in Showing, Eventing, doing Dressage, etc. going to these events is my best suggestion. Go to the schooling area or watch from ring side to see which trainers are being successful. Plus well turned and happy horses. Go to the barn and ask around. I certainly wouldn't turn down going to a clinic w/ Frank Madden, Joe Fargis, Louise Serio, Katie Monohan-Prudent, plus wonderful local Trainers like Kim Williams, Susan Porter, Carolyn Krome (& Kenny Krome) just because they aren't certified. Whenever picking a trainer do your research and don't just take a persons word on what there resume is (or what they've accomplished).

Good morning BZHmom!! Just getting caught up on this thread....

BZHorseMomE

lsantagata79 said:
"Unfortunately, there are always some riders either in the warm up ring or flat classes that haven't learned (or been taught) to be ring smart."

You got it...we all know horses are just that...horses...& at any given moment the unexpected can happen. It is the responsibility of the trainer to teach/guide their students how to avoid the "cluster f**k" as best they can.

Some associations won't even let you school in the warm up or schooling area without a trainer present. Even so accidents can always happen.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Good morning BZHmom!! Just getting caught up on this thread....

I think I should come up with an alias and call myself Sybil!! :lmao: Being a :elaine: makes for interesting threads. :whistle:

K

Katie

BZHorseMomE said:
Some associations won't even let you school in the warm up or schooling area without a trainer present. Even so accidents can always happen.

Yeah horses don't know if they are worth $500.00 or $50,000.00. A horse that cost $50,000 can still freak out just like a horse that is worth 500.00

fredsaid2

Winn Dixie said:
What more is there to say, if Sadie and her friend believe what they're saying, it is a sad world indeed for the young riders. And, Fred... it's easy to find legitimate trainers, just go to the various certification associations and you can find trainers/instructors in any area of the country. Riding experience is wonderful, but I don't want my child riding with anyone who isn't insured, tested and certified to teach. JMO. :howdy:

It's a great world for young riders. It would be an even better world if their first introduction to riding was with an experienced, competent instructor well versed in the basics with nicely trained, suitable mounts.

One of the reasons you see lack of control at shows is due to inexperienced riders allowed to show long before they should. It takes time to gain the confidence, strength and basic knowledge needed to react in a new situation like a warm up ring or show ring. Showing can be a money maker for instructors, plus mom and dad want to see tangible results. So off little Suzi goes in her cute pigtails not at all prepared to deal with a horse that suddenly has an engine or an attitude. He’s not the ride she knows at home. She’s not in charge, the horse knows it and takes advantage of the situation. Who makes out? The instructor, because fees are paid regardless of pinning.

Yes, we have competent instructors in our area. I know most of them. Some have certifications some don’t. I don’t sweat that. If the instructor is good the cert is a benny. If the instructor is not competent the cert is worthless.

BZHorseMomE

fredsaid2 said:
It's a great world for young riders. It would be an even better world if their first introduction to riding was with an experienced, competent instructor well versed in the basics with nicely trained, suitable mounts.

One of the reasons you see lack of control at shows is due to inexperienced riders allowed to show long before they should. It takes time to gain the confidence, strength and basic knowledge needed to react in a new situation like a warm up ring or show ring. Showing can be a money maker for instructors, plus mom and dad want to see tangible results. So off little Suzi goes in her cute pigtails not at all prepared to deal with a horse that suddenly has an engine or an attitude. He’s not the ride she knows at home. She’s not in charge, the horse knows it and takes advantage of the situation. Who makes out? The instructor, because fees are paid regardless of pinning.

Yes, we have competent instructors in our area. I know most of them. Some have certifications some don’t. I don’t sweat that. If the instructor is good the cert is a benny. If the instructor is not competent the cert is worthless.

You always have the right words. Are you a politician??? :lmao:

lsantagata79

It's simple, whatever you claim to be as a trainer...you should have the record to back it up!!! Whether it be a resume, awards, accomplishments, certification, clinics, judges card, successful selling agent etc.

If you claim to be a great dressage trainer then your horses should at least know how to carry themselves around in a circle correct & balanced,
if you claim to be a hunter trainer than your horses should be nice moving, pretty jumpers,
if you claim to be an equitation trainer then you & your students should have a lovely, beautiful position,
if you claim to be a western pleasure trainer you should have horses in your barn that are bred for it & not try to make some poor ex race horse into something that it's not...(ps. just because your horse can lope slow does not make it a wp horse & just because you can "make" a horse go slow does not make you a wp trainer)
& if you claim that your a great trainer with a whole bunch of showing experience & your clients win everything all the time...then when your clients go to the shows...they should at least be able to navigate their way around a bucking horse...

some trainers are "big time" & other trainers are "small time" nothing wrong with that as long as your not falsely advertising!

Wisecrackin"

lsantagata79 said:
if you claim to be a western pleasure trainer you should have horses in your barn that are bred for it & not try to make some poor ex race horse into something that it's not...(ps. just because your horse can lope slow does not make it a wp horse & just because you can "make" a horse go slow does not make you a wp trainer) !

AMEN to that.. I tried that for years... :lmao: Roger is Zippn to Paradise bred (zippo pine bar and impressive) little haltery too.. :lmao:

BZHorseMomE

lsantagata79 said:
It's simple, whatever you claim to be as a trainer...you should have the record to back it up!!! Whether it be a resume, awards, accomplishments, certification, clinics, judges card, successful selling agent etc.

If you claim to be a great dressage trainer then your horses should at least know how to carry themselves around in a circle correct & balanced,
if you claim to be a hunter trainer than your horses should be nice moving, pretty jumpers,
if you claim to be an equitation trainer then you & your students should have a lovely, beautiful position,
if you claim to be a western pleasure trainer you should have horses in your barn that are bred for it & not try to make some poor ex race horse into something that it's not...(ps. just because your horse can lope slow does not make it a wp horse & just because you can "make" a horse go slow does not make you a wp trainer)
& if you claim that your a great trainer with a whole bunch of showing experience & your clients win everything all the time...then when your clients go to the shows...they should at least be able to navigate their way around a bucking horse...

some trainers are "big time" & other trainers are "small time" nothing wrong with that as long as your not falsely advertising!

Well said

Eventer29

wellll back to the MSA show... do any of you go on Saturday for the Jumpers and rateds? Any idea how long the jumper classes run? How big are the rated classes?

the main reason we are doing MSA is the jumper classes. My kids have mostly been doing jumper shows and are much much more comfortable than in the hunter ring. Think if they still want to try hunters we'll try SMHA for a smaller show. The ginormous classses def freaked out one of my girls and she had her normally saintly quiet TB boincing off the walls.
So if anyone will be there the next sat.MSA show we'll see ya there. sis will have her jumper/s and I'll have my bouncy lil palomino beast. If we ever figure out what is up with my black mare's knee (vet did xrays today) I'll do the rated hunters on her!

BZHorseMomE

Eventer29 said:
wellll back to the MSA show... do any of you go on Saturday for the Jumpers and rateds? Any idea how long the jumper classes run? How big are the rated classes?

the main reason we are doing MSA is the jumper classes. My kids have mostly been doing jumper shows and are much much more comfortable than in the hunter ring. Think if they still want to try hunters we'll try SMHA for a smaller show. The ginormous classses def freaked out one of my girls and she had her normally saintly quiet TB boincing off the walls.
So if anyone will be there the next sat.MSA show we'll see ya there. sis will have her jumper/s and I'll have my bouncy lil palomino beast. If we ever figure out what is up with my black mare's knee (vet did xrays today) I'll do the rated hunters on her!

Are you going to do the Jumpers this Saturday at SMHA??? There are some other local circuits in Maryland that are offering Jumper Classes too.

Eventer29

Cant make it this weekend, doin some work here at the farm. if i had known they had jumper classes before a week ago we'd be going. We are going to the next Columbia horse center jumper show..we went to the last one, and though we all left our brains at home ( each of us forgot at least one course) we had fun. Where might these other circuits be? tell me more