Music played in public schools for dances

Music for public dances in schools

• Should music be screened for dances?

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Should music be age group appropriate?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Let them listen and dance to anything

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am pretty sure my kids don't have a clue what it means they don't know what ejaculate is but I will be asking them over breakfast tomorrow just to make sure! :lmao: I think it's just music to them.

We had the whole sex-ed talk with him - and he knows all the details... the boy over heard our discussion and on the way home from the party he asked me about what we were talking about... I explained to him as tactfully as I could. The next day I downloaded the lyrics and showed him - we talked about it and now he knows.

Bigt3725

Big T's Entertainment LLC
We have done many school dances and use clean edited music suited for schools and young parties. We get a monthly subscription to a company who sends us the top clean music every month. So really it is on the DJ to provide whats acceptable. The music sounds the same but some words are blemished out.

Last edited:

Katt

We have done many school dances and use clean edited music suited for schools and young parties. We get a monthly subscription to a company who sends us the top clean music every month. So really it is on the DJ to provide whats acceptable. The music sounds the same but some words are blemished out.

So tell me this.... how come most of what is played at school dances is rap music? My daughter goes to the dances at high school and before that, middle schools and says that only one song was played other than the rap music. She hates the rap music and has pratically steered clear of the school dances because of it. Other than the Homecoming or more formal dances that are almost manditory to go to, she has no desire to go to the dances with DJ's playing that music. What do ppl have to do to get a more diverse varity of music played? Not everyone wants to dance to nasty, rank lyrics of woman degrading songs. JMHO

So tell me this.... how come most of what is played at school dances is rap music? My daughter goes to the dances at high school and before that, middle schools and says that only one song was played other than the rap music. She hates the rap music and has pratically steered clear of the school dances because of it. Other than the Homecoming or more formal dances that are almost manditory to go to, she has no desire to go to the dances with DJ's playing that music. What do ppl have to do to get a more diverse varity of music played? Not everyone wants to dance to nasty, rank lyrics of woman degrading songs. JMHO

My son went recently went to a semi-formal dance at his high school. When he and his friends went up to the DJ to request different music than what was being played, the DJ informed him that he was given specific info on what to play and what NOT to play by the dance committee (made up of students). He was pizzed because all students have to pay to go to the dance yet only a select handful were able to chose the music.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not everyone wants to dance to nasty, rank lyrics of woman degrading songs. JMHO

Not all rap is nasty and degrading. A good bit of it is PG-13.

That said, I raised a stink about "Booty Call" being played at middle school dances. I don't think it's healthy for children to be sexualized at such a young age.

(And before you hoochies say, "Well, a lot of them are HAVING sex at that age," let me respond with, "Duh, Beavis - why do you suppose that is?")

camily

Peace
My son went recently went to a semi-formal dance at his high school. When he and his friends went up to the DJ to request different music than what was being played, the DJ informed him that he was given specific info on what to play and what NOT to play by the dance committee (made up of students). He was pizzed because all students have to pay to go to the dance yet only a select handful were able to chose the music.

Understandable. On the other hand if they were elected students of the SGA, this is a life lesson concerning politics. :ohwell:

Bigt3725

Big T's Entertainment LLC
As many schools we have done we have never not taken requests and play all types of music. We get to the requests and play all current music and of course this falls back on the dj. The DJ will tell the kids he or she might be restricted to play a list given by the staff or students, but thats not true. Thats to keep them from crowding around the booth. But I agree with the posts about mixing up the music and as a DJ there is a Job to do, which is provide entertainment for everyone and not limited to Rap or certain music.

foodcritic

I find it unbelievable that most of you on this post don't care if this song is played at school dances. Are you nuts? No wonder our kids are so messed up these days. Look what message they are getting from their parents. And don't tell me your kids don't know what the lyrics mean. Kids talk to each other. I think parents need to get more of a backbone and actually tell their kids when things are inappropriate and to take the higher ground even when everyone around them thinks it is ok.

camily

Peace
I find it unbelievable that most of you on this post don't care if this song is played at school dances. Are you nuts? No wonder our kids are so messed up these days. Look what message they are getting from their parents. And don't tell me your kids don't know what the lyrics mean. Kids talk to each other. I think parents need to get more of a backbone and actually tell their kids when things are inappropriate and to take the higher ground even when everyone around them thinks it is ok.

I like to sing it loud. My husband can't believe I know the words.

foodcritic

For the person who told me I can only shelter my kids for so long you are right. But I will shelter them until they are old enough to comprehend certain things and are able to think through things in a mature way. Do you really think that a 12 or 13 year old is old enough to deal with all that this music talks about? If you do I think you are terrible mistaken. Think about when you were that age and you will realize that as you get older and wiser you can understand things in a more clear and responsible manner.

camily

Peace
For the person who told me I can only shelter my kids for so long you are right. But I will shelter them until they are old enough to comprehend certain things and are able to think through things in a mature way. Do you really think that a 12 or 13 year old is old enough to deal with all that this music talks about? If you do I think you are terrible mistaken. Think about when you were that age and you will realize that as you get older and wiser you can understand things in a more clear and responsible manner.

If adults don't get it, why would a kid?
My kids had no idea.......until I told them.

camily

Peace
Why would you tell your kids what a "superman" was? Is that something you want them to aspire to do?

Good lord woman. Have you ever heard of a joke?

Actually, when they came in the room and I sat up with the sheet stuck to my back they yelled, "Way to go Dad, Superman that ho!". :rolleyes: :lol:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
The kids have heard this music long before they even went to the school dance. It's not like it's the first time they heard the words.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Same here. Why were the first two choices questions?

She had questions. :lol:

I guess the "should" and music" could be switcheroo'd. :yay:

I will not get why radio statiions play such raunchy music. I agree with the poster who said that the words leading up to the "bleep out" is just as bad as the bleep out.

There are a host of songs that I don't even know why the label allowed its release. For instance, the rapper Shawnna's Gettin' Some lyrics have NO words in it that is suitable for radio play to all audiences. Radio air play needs a V-chip or XM only music where there is a choice or harder chance for children to have access to it.

There is a ghetto DJ down here who definitely would play music like this for children. He will sit and watch the young teen pre-teen girls bouncing their booties all over the floor and not think a thing about what's taking place. All he cared was that he was "crankin' it". All the parents immediately screamed towards him when they realized the lyrics and saw the dance moves and that is what made him cut the song off.

Some people just don't get it, artists, producers, DJ/VJ and radio personalities and lets not forget parents and children. A lot of children know what they've been taught and many choose to not respect it when they're around their peers. I always admire the quiet child who does not dance or participate in the conversation. Just hangs there and shakes his or her head while listening to friends trying to be grown.