Music played in public schools for dances

Music for public dances in schools

• Should music be screened for dances?

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Should music be age group appropriate?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Let them listen and dance to anything

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Etred101

Kids v. Parents.
We each have different jobs Our job is supervise and intervene when not appropriate. Their job is to push the limit.
When the music it not appropriate it is OK to say "not on my watch." Then they respond "We already listened to _____ and _____ which are much worse." And so it goes. :doh:

foodcritic

I always tell my kids not to use the argument that "everyone else gets to do it" or "so and so's parents let them do it" because I do what I think is appropriate regardless of what everyone else is doing. I try to teach them that they need to make decisions based on what is moral and right and not on what everyone else is doing. If you do you just become a ignorant sheep.

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
Well first off, I absolutley despise that song. There is only one version of the song that I can tolerate which is the Travis Barker Rock Remix. It's one of the 2394823746327675 remixes. Songs like this are killing the Rap/Hip-Hop genre.

The DJ's will play anything that people can dance to. Not all of the songs that are played are 100% "appropriate" but it's not that big of a deal. Most of the people at the dances are well....dancing. I know that when I went to homecoming's and prom's, I didn't concentrate on the lyrics so much. Most of the time was spent dancing to the beat. At my senior prom last year, I couldn't tell you any more than 3 songs I can remember. Most people would rather dance to a song that may not be, like I said, 100% appropriate, than dance to something else.

How many teen's do you know would rather dance to Hannah Montana as compared to something from other popular dance/club songs; artists like Ying-Yang Twins, Lil' Wayne, Lil' Jon & the Eastside Boyz, Pastor Troy, just to name a few.

Last edited:

Phina

Should music like (example) Crank Dat by Soulja Boy be played in public school for elementary and middle school dances?

Didn't they make a movie about this way back in the day? "Footloose" or something like that?

You should really watch the movie "Thirteen"

Didn't they make a movie about this way back in the day? "Footloose" or something like that?

You should really watch the movie "Thirteen"

Footloose was dancing in general being banned...

Thirteen is more about the strife between daughter and mother when the daughter discovers drugs, sex and crime with her "friend"... this is a far cry of music with suggestive lyrics, which happen to be encoded. :lol: But I understand the line you are trying to draw. :buddies:

I think the question is more along the lines of should the PTO and/or schools really pay attention to the music which is played at school dances.

Honestly, I think the song has a good beat and the dance is kinda cool! The kids love it! BUT after being educated by the younger ones on what the song meant I was kind of suprised... I asked friends of mine (parents and non-parents) and all of them had no clue as well - I felt for once like "I was in the know!"

Phina

Footloose was dancing in general being banned...

Thirteen is more about the strife between daughter and mother when the daughter discovers drugs, sex and crime with her "friend"... this is a far cry of music with suggestive lyrics, which happen to be encoded. :lol: But I understand the line you are trying to draw. :buddies:

I think the question is more along the lines of should the PTO and/or schools really pay attention to the music which is played at school dances.

Honestly, I think the song has a good beat and the dance is kinda cool! The kids love it! BUT after being educated by the younger ones on what the song meant I was kind of suprised... I asked friends of mine (parents and non-parents) and all of them had no clue as well - I felt for once like "I was in the know!"

I understand your point as well. Buuuutt. Most of these kids hear this music every single day when they turn on the radio.

Is there any particular song that has you worried or a whole genre in general? I can see asking the DJ not to play one particular song...

I understand your point as well. Buuuutt. Most of these kids hear this music every single day when they turn on the radio.

Is there any particular song that has you worried or a whole genre in general? I can see asking the DJ not to play one particular song...

I would say particular songs... heck, it is all good until we hear and understand the lyrics.

My son and his friend could sing the song, but not understand what they were singing... once it was made clear to them they were turned off by it...

I guess us as parents immediately want to shelter our kids ears, but honestly - they problably know A LOT MORE than what we want to believe!

:huggy:

Phina

I would say particular songs... heck, it is all good until we hear and understand the lyrics.

My son and his friend could sing the song, but not understand what they were singing... once it was made clear to them they were turned off by it...

I guess us as parents immediately want to shelter our kids ears, but honestly - they problably know A LOT MORE than what we want to believe!

:huggy:

:yay: You got it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I am not sure I have heard that song. I remember one of the songs played at frequently at our school dance was Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" :lol:, but that did not mean it made me want to try it.
That was played at our dances also. Everyone knew exactly when to yell, "COCAINE!".

CraneTaker77

when i went to the dances, which was far and few between, they mostly played rap music. i am a huge redneck love country music to death, but i can deal with rap music. they play mostly rap at dances because you can dance to it. you can't dance to some brooks and dunn, or kenny chesney, unless your kids know how to two step and line dance. i could see playing "soulja boy" at lettie dent and other elementary schools, but at middle schools? kids are going to hear it either way. my mom didn't let me listen to that stuff in middle school, but i still heard it on the bus, in stores and everywhere else. heck have you heard country music today? it's all about drinking and cheating? Rock music is about drugs and teenage angst. I remember being in middle school and they played Blink-182. They have more dirty lyrics than rap, but that was the "band" at that time. So you can't win either way. Let your kids listen to it and teach them not to take the words to heart. or tell them they can't listen to it and let them go behind your back and listen to it anyways.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

when i went to the dances, which was far and few between, they mostly played rap music. i am a huge redneck love country music to death, but i can deal with rap music. they play mostly rap at dances because you can dance to it. you can't dance to some brooks and dunn, or kenny chesney, unless your kids know how to two step and line dance. i could see playing "soulja boy" at lettie dent and other elementary schools, but at middle schools? kids are going to hear it either way. my mom didn't let me listen to that stuff in middle school, but i still heard it on the bus, in stores and everywhere else. heck have you heard country music today? it's all about drinking and cheating? Rock music is about drugs and teenage angst. I remember being in middle school and they played Blink-182. They have more dirty lyrics than rap, but that was the "band" at that time. So you can't win either way. Let your kids listen to it and teach them not to take the words to heart. or tell them they can't listen to it and let them go behind your back and listen to it anyways.

Your font is pretty annoying. You might want to consider switching it so it's easier for people to read. :yay:

B

Bronwyn

That's the truth. When I was growing up it was Salt-n-Pepper "Let's talk about sex"
and many many other songs that would have made my parents freak out if they had been paying attention. :lmao:

CraneTaker77

haha "lets talk about sex" when i was in high school(chopticon) I had this science teacher named Mrs. Dell. she would always have a warm up for us and it would always have a song playing well this was a biology class, so when it came time to talk about genes and chromosomes and sperm and all that stuff she played that song. haha that just reminded me of that class. and it was a ap class too! haha