N. Korea warns of nuclear war if attacked

Toxick

Splat
Homesick said:
They're celebrating the fourth with us. :whistle:

I think that we should have treated them to a great big old fireworks display. :patriot:

I think a nice 50 Megaton firecracker over downtown Pyongyang would have been just the thing to help them ring in the 4th :yay:

ylexot

Super Genius
I think the White House should put out a statement along the lines of "NK's launch failure shows that their Taepodong-2 missile is as impotent as their Kimjongildong." :biggrin:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Now, before you all start yelling at me, I do support the war in Iraq.

But in light of things, I think it would have probably have been better to go after N. Korea vice Iraq. That maniac up there may or may not have a functional nuclear weapon, but if he does, he is crazy enough to use it. Saddam had weapons but doesn't have the balls to use it on anyone but some Kurds riding around on Camels. Saddam may have been a jerk, but he was smart enough and sane enough to not use WMD's on Americans.

Pandora

dems4me said:
Where did I state ANYWHERE that it was easy to make a nuclear bomb? And no, I don't think the Manhattan Project was a movie -- what looney would even suggest it, let alone post about it as you had? The thought honestly never crossed my mind as it has yours. :shrug: Do you think it was a movie?? :confused:
I stated that I do believe they have the capability to make nuclear weapons and has for a while. Personally, I think North Korea got most of what they need from Russia's time of instability and vulnerability. Maybe it was "missing brief cases" or something or perhaps that was just a movie :shrug: Or maybe and more least believable, I've been listening to high ranking republicans on this issue :shrug: I really don't think this is an issue to take lightly. :ohwell:

There are 6 steps in making a Nuclear Bomb...

Uranium, once enriched, can form the core of a nuclear bomb. But enriching it requires hard-to-acquire technology - and time.

1. Dig it - Uranium ore is mined, milled, and soaked with sulfuric acid, leaching out pure uranium.

2. Crunch it - Uranium is dried and filtered into a coarse power called yellowcake.

3. Bake it - The yellocake is exposed to fluorine gas and heated to 133 degrees F (56 degrees C), converting it into a gas, uranium hexafluoride.

4. Spin it - The gas is pumped into a centrifuge that spings at the speed of sound. As it spins, the heavier U-238 moves toward the outside while the lighter, highly fissionable isotope U-234 collects closer to the center.

5. Spin it again - The slightly enriched U-235 is fed into another centrifuge, where it is enriched further. It moves down a train of some 1,500 centrifuges. Once it is 20 percent pure, the uranium is considered highly enriched. Only at more than 90 percent purity - which takes about a year - is it weapons grade.

6. Squeeze it - The enriched uranium is converted into a metal powder, uranium oxide, which can be molded into a sphere weighing 35-100 pounds and placed in a weapon.

^ Source - Nuclear Terrorism by Graham Allison (I typed this from a book so typos are my error), but as you can see, it is not an easy task at all. In fact, it is believe Iran has the technology and they are working hard at achieving this, maybe even this year. Sources say, they had yellowcake around Spring of last year, and Russia, France and Germany are helping Iran achieve the goal of a nuclear holocaust.

It is my understanding that the U.S. has been loading Israel up with bombs, including deep penetration bombs recently.

A bunch of useful information on National Review Online. :shrug:

C

czygvtwkr

There is a lot more steps than that. Uranium is not TNT you dont light a fuse and it goes bang.

willie

Toxick said:
Is Japan Nucular-Enabled?
Only for peaceful purposes but I'm sure if they are threatened by a souped up scud coming too far across the Sea of Japan, they will retaliate.

willie

Bustem' Down said:
Now, before you all start yelling at me, I do support the war in Iraq.

But in light of things, I think it would have probably have been better to go after N. Korea vice Iraq. That maniac up there may or may not have a functional nuclear weapon, but if he does, he is crazy enough to use it. Saddam had weapons but doesn't have the balls to use it on anyone but some Kurds riding around on Camels. Saddam may have been a jerk, but he was smart enough and sane enough to not use WMD's on Americans.

No point in re-hashing why we're in Iraq, you still wouldn't understand.

I just don't see N Korea as our problem. They have no allies unless the French smell a way to make a profit. We need to worry about fanatical muslims not a poverty stricken backward nation living in the dark.

Tomcat

Anytime
ylexot said:
I think the White House should put out a statement along the lines of "NK's launch failure shows that their Taepodong-2 missile is as impotent as their Kimjongildong." :biggrin:
How about we send Kim Jong ll a satellite surveillance photo of his home, with a big “X” marked on it? :yay:

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
I saw we tie a big bow around all the prisoners in Guantamino Bay and drop them off there in a big C-17..........

B

Bruzilla

willie said:
No point in re-hashing why we're in Iraq, you still wouldn't understand.

I just don't see N Korea as our problem. They have no allies unless the French smell a way to make a profit. We need to worry about fanatical muslims not a poverty stricken backward nation living in the dark.

Willie's right, North Korea is not a problem for the US despite what the liberals and media are all saying to try to make it one. North Korea holds no strategic value to us, nor can they pose an economic threat. At best they have the potential to disrupt the far east so we keep an eye on them, but not much more. Hussein wanted to take over the Middle East, which constituted a severe national security problem for us. Kim Jong Il is just a horrendously-poor leader who wants to stay in power as long as he can.

I think that we should do everything we can to gode the North Koreans into firing as many missiles as they can. I would love to see Bush make a national address where he specifically forbids Kim Jong Il to fire any more missiles... just to make him fire more to be defiant. Everytime a missile goes up, the North Koreans just spent several million bucks that they can't replace. We collapsed the Soviets by getting them to run themselves bankrupt trying to put up a show, so why not do the same thing to the North Koreans?

R

residentofcre

Bruzilla said:
Willie's right, North Korea is not a problem for the US despite what the liberals and media are all saying to try to make it one. North Korea holds no strategic value to us, nor can they pose an economic threat. At best they have the potential to disrupt the far east so we keep an eye on them, but not much more. Hussein wanted to take over the Middle East, which constituted a severe national security problem for us. Kim Jong Il is just a horrendously-poor leader who wants to stay in power as long as he can.

I think that we should do everything we can to gode the North Koreans into firing as many missiles as they can. I would love to see Bush make a national address where he specifically forbids Kim Jong Il to fire any more missiles... just to make him fire more to be defiant. Everytime a missile goes up, the North Koreans just spent several million bucks that they can't replace. We collapsed the Soviets by getting them to run themselves bankrupt trying to put up a show, so why not do the same thing to the North Koreans?

Very intelligent post.... I agree... Besides... the rest of the world can handle this one... even Russia is not thrill with it...

Christy

b*tch rocket
willie said:

I agree 100%. :yay: North Korea poses no significant threat to the United States, nor do they possess anything we'd be remotely interested in. In my opinion, they're simply trying to stir things up enough to get us to come back in and offer them a deal of some sort. They wound up with a pretty sweet deal with the Clinton Administration in 1994 to freeze and eventually dismantle their nuclear program. For almost ten years they milked us. Now that we've stopped they're scrambling to get us back on board to subsidize their very existence. :shrug:

B

Bruzilla

BuddyLee said:
Neither did Germany after WWI.

But Germany was a major cultural and industrial anchor in the neart of Europe, so they brought a lot to the table when it came to looking for allies. What does North Korea have to offer? When the Communists were in their "we'll take anyone" mode they had some power. But now that the Soviets are gone their main hold on keeping friends is with China, and that's only because China doesn't want a whole bunch of North Koreans coming over the border and becoming their Mexicans.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Bruzilla said:
But Germany was a major cultural and industrial anchor in the neart of Europe, so they brought a lot to the table when it came to looking for allies. What does North Korea have to offer? When the Communists were in their "we'll take anyone" mode they had some power. But now that the Soviets are gone their main hold on keeping friends is with China, and that's only because China doesn't want a whole bunch of North Koreans coming over the border and becoming their Mexicans.
...funny how history repeats itself. Perhaps not in this instance, I'm just not making any predictions on the unpredictable.

That's exactly what everyone said to Germany after WWI. What do they have to offer? Who is Germany anymore? We've dismantled them, they have nothing! They who burn money to keep warm, for the cost of wood is more expensive.

All it takes is one coo-coo and/or supreme motivator to start taking an assertive approach to this passive world.

R

residentofcre

BuddyLee said:
...funny how history repeats itself. Perhaps not in this instance, I'm just not making any predictions on the unpredictable.

That's exactly what everyone said to Germany after WWI. What do they have to offer? Who is Germany anymore? We've dismantled them, they have nothing! They who burn money to keep warm, for the cost of wood is more expensive.

All it takes is one coo-coo and/or supreme motivator to start taking an assertive approach to this passive world.

The need for bullets and warheads creates jobs....

BuddyLee

Football addict
residentofcre said:
The need for bullets and warheads creates jobs....
...and hardship.

North Korea, one of the world's most centrally planned and isolated economies, faces desperate economic conditions. Industrial capital stock is nearly beyond repair as a result of years of underinvestment and shortages of spare parts. Industrial and power output have declined in parallel. Despite an increased harvest in 2005 because of more stable weather conditions, fertilizer assistance from South Korea, and an extraordinary mobilization of the population to help with agricultural production, the nation has suffered its 11th year of food shortages because of on-going systemic problems, including a lack of arable land, collective farming practices, and chronic shortages of tractors and fuel. Massive international food aid deliveries have allowed the people of North Korea to escape mass starvation since famine threatened in 1995, but the population continues to suffer from prolonged malnutrition and poor living conditions. Large-scale military spending eats up resources needed for investment and civilian consumption. In 2004, the regime formalized an arrangement whereby private "farmers markets" were allowed to begin selling a wider range of goods. It also permitted some private farming on an experimental basis in an effort to boost agricultural output. In October 2005, the regime reversed some of these policies by forbidding private sales of grains and reinstituting a centralized food rationing system. In December 2005, the regime confirmed that it intended to carry out earlier threats to terminate all international humanitarian assistance operations in the DPRK (calling instead for developmental assistance only) and to restrict the activities of international and non-governmental aid organizations such as the World Food Program. Firm political control remains the Communist government's overriding concern, which will likely inhibit the loosening of economic regulations.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/kn.html