Name change?

What should the name be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skins77

Why are they only focused on them. What about the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs, Florida Seminoles, etc. Leave it the same name it's been for more than 80 years

buggin

Should the Redskins change their name?
At first I said hell no, now I say I don't know.

This is the breakdown for you. First we go after the Redskins, then the Chiefs followed by the Cowboys(obviousily). Why stop there when you have baseball. Go after the Braves. I am the first to admit the American Indian got screwed and a great deal of them killed but we stopped thinking of them as redskins a long time ago and you really need to move on. Get past the past.

jrt_ms1995

As a District team, perhaps they should change their name to an acronym? The District's the seat of our national government, and everyone in the government loves a good acronym. I'd like to suggest one representative of the highest levels of our government: IGA (Interfering Government Asshats).

But, really, I just don't GAS.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
They should change the name to the Washington Cracka-Ass Crackas*.

*I can say that, cause I'm white.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why should they change their name?

A. NFL teams have a monopoly status gifted to them by the federal government. They are NOT a private entity. They are, get this, a non profit enterprise.

B. NFL teams typically get enormous local help because federal protection simply isn't enough. Local tax payers pay for their stadiums and infrastructure. They are NOT a private entity.

C. We can say what we like about time and 'in the past' but, 'Redskin' is the equivalent of '######'.

D. Dan Snyder is the owner and he is long disparaging everything I ever held dear about the name "Washington Redskins". So, I an offended by the use of the term because it has come to mean 'style over substance'.

wiki;
"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for Native Americans, the origins of which are disputed. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent,[1] the term is now defined by dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive",[2] "disparaging",[3][4] "insulting",[5] "taboo" [6] and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.

It's over. The time has come.

Besides, Dan will make a mega #### ton of new dollars not only selling anything and everything sitting in the warehouse that says 'Redskins' but, will triple that in new merchandise. A non profit has gotta survive somehow.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
While they're at it, I assume it would be time to change team colors. From burgundy and gold to say, pink and yellow.

This whole issue is so absurd.

Caution

If they want the name changed. Let them pay for all changes associated with the name change. New signs, advertising, uniforms, NFL & Redskins merchandise and anything else the NFL, Redskins or any other associated group(s) would have shell out money for because someone else wants them to change their name.

Last edited:
Why are they only focused on them. What about the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Chiefs, Florida Seminoles, etc. Leave it the same name it's been for more than 80 years

Well I can see Indians. Just incorrect. The others are ok though. Not derogatory. Redskins is. Not that I care, but maybe a name change to Warriors would be cool. Not apt, but cool. I believe scalpers would be right out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If they want the name changed. Let them pay for all changes associated with the name change. New signs, advertising, uniforms, NFL & Redskins merchandise and anything else the NFL, Redskins or any other associated group(s) would have shell out money for because someone else wants them to change their name.

:lol:

Its been estimated that a name change will 'cost' the Skins upwards of $10 million.

They'll make that back THIS Christmas.

If Snyder is half as smart as I think he is, he's carefully balancing the "I will NEVER change the name..." act with a quiet media campaign to create the very pressure that will 'force' him to do so. He MUST have PR cover that he 'resisted' this.

Caution

:lol:

Its been estimated that a name change will 'cost' the Skins upwards of $10 million.

They'll make that back THIS Christmas.

If Snyder is half as smart as I think he is, he's carefully balancing the "I will NEVER change the name..." act with a quiet media campaign to create the very pressure that will 'force' him to do so. He MUST have PR cover that he 'resisted' this.

Ya I know. I just am not a fond of the "YOU have to do something different because I don't like it mentality". But alas, it is the way it is.

But as you state it's gonna end up coming down to money. What doesn't? But to keep the fans happy he has to give the appearance of :boxing:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ya I know. I just am not a fond of the "YOU have to do something different because I don't like it mentality".

The NFL, by seeking and accepting government protection from competition, is then partner of the government. By seeking and accepting stunning concessions from local government, again, we are not talking about private entities here.

That all just makes things very different and subject to all the distortions of government.

Midnightrider

The NFL, by seeking and accepting government protection from competition, is then partner of the government. By seeking and accepting stunning concessions from local government, again, we are not talking about private entities here.

That all just makes things very different and subject to all the distortions of government.

As I said in the other thread, this has been a long time coming and it's only a matter of time. I think fans just need to get out in front of it so we don't get stuck with a crappy name like Wizards.