Name change?

What should the name be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Dan-Skins.

A Wash Times sports reporter has long referred to the team as the "Snydermen".

:lol:

Here's some cool helmets to chose from!

spiderman_superman_helmets_kickoff_that_reboot[1].jpg

seasonsofwither

Change the name because Bob Costas said to! Bob Costas is a disgrace to all people who wear toupees...how ya like that, Bob? Are you offended now, huh? Figgin idiot, that man.

luvmygdaughters

After watching the movie "Tombstone" I'm offended by the term "Cowboys". They were a bunch of murdering thieves riding around with red sashes. Therefore, I would like to have the name of the Dallas "Cowboys" changed, as I am offended by it. :tantrum

Larry Gude

Strung Out
After watching the movie "Tombstone" I'm offended by the term "Cowboys". They were a bunch of murdering thieves riding around with red sashes. Therefore, I would like to have the name of the Dallas "Cowboys" changed, as I am offended by it. :tantrum

That's different. Simply changing the name won't make cowboys, whatever the new name, better people. Whereas if the redskins change our name we will still suck but, we will be better people for it.

Dondi

Dondi
If it ever becomes inevitable that the name needs to be changed, I'd rather have see it all changed, without any reference to Native Americans at all. I'd rather not have them try to shoehorn some other related name like the Warriors or Braves. Change the name, change the logo, change the colors to something other than burgandy and gold. Just have a completely new mascot altogether. With 81 years of history, the Redskins deserve a descent burial.

AND as a matter of principle and protest, if they do change the team name, regardless of how they do it, I will no longer be a Washington fan. In fact, I will not even be a fan for any other team in the NFC East. I'll jump on some other bandwagon (and no, it won't be the Ravens, either).

Last edited:

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Actually, I find Washington Redskins offensive.

They don't even play in Washington. Officially, FedEx Field is in Landover so take that no-good, lazy, chitty "Washington" out of the name, and call them the Landover Redskins.
:lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
How about the "What Deficits?" or "Who-obamcares?" or the Washington Dysfunctionals, or Senseless Congressionals?

Or just say screw the PC'ers and leave the name the same?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Did you all read Mamatutu's link? Armed with facts, it's not racist and the name and image should remain. We, the people, need to stop the PC insanity. The ones calling foul the loudest aren't even Native American.

Excerpt from her link:
Boston Braves owner George Preston Marshall decided in 1933 to change the franchise's name from the Braves (another name with a racial history) to the Redskins. Team lore says the franchise adopted the name in honor of former coach William "Lone Star" Dietz, who identified as Native American. Dietz brought several Native American players he had coached at the Haskell Indian School with him to the team. Marshall also sought to strongly tie the team to Native American imagery, occasionally requiring Dietz to wear a Sioux headdress on the sidelines and telling players to wear war paint while on the field.

The cover of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat Sunday supplement from January 1908 shows William "Lone Star" Dietz, who in 1916 coached Washington State University to a Rose Bowl victory, in full Indian dress. Some credit Dietz with inspiring the name of the Redskins.

Five years later, the team unveiled its fight song, "Hail to the Redskins," with lyrics written by Marshall's wife, actress Corinne Griffith. The original lyrics to the song included both references to scalping and pidgin English, with the line "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em — we will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! — we want heap more!"

Attachments

• ap060922034859_custom-2cbd7ea160f637d6b73c39e2d7b0b70517354c1d-s3-c85.jpg
    ap060922034859_custom-2cbd7ea160f637d6b73c39e2d7b0b70517354c1d-s3-c85.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 65

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did you all read Mamatutu's link? Armed with facts, it's not racist and the name and image should remain. We, the people, need to stop the PC insanity. The ones calling foul the loudest aren't even Native American.

Excerpt from her link:
Boston Braves owner George Preston Marshall decided in 1933 to change the franchise's name from the Braves (another name with a racial history) to the Redskins. Team lore says the franchise adopted the name in honor of former coach William "Lone Star" Dietz, who identified as Native American. Dietz brought several Native American players he had coached at the Haskell Indian School with him to the team. Marshall also sought to strongly tie the team to Native American imagery, occasionally requiring Dietz to wear a Sioux headdress on the sidelines and telling players to wear war paint while on the field.

The cover of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat Sunday supplement from January 1908 shows William "Lone Star" Dietz, who in 1916 coached Washington State University to a Rose Bowl victory, in full Indian dress. Some credit Dietz with inspiring the name of the Redskins.

Five years later, the team unveiled its fight song, "Hail to the Redskins," with lyrics written by Marshall's wife, actress Corinne Griffith. The original lyrics to the song included both references to scalping and pidgin English, with the line "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em — we will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! — we want heap more!"

Origianl lyrics;

..."Fight! For old...Dix-eeeee!!!"

Nothing racist here. Old Dixie, as everyone knows, is code for a time of happiness and plenty for all.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Origianl lyrics;

..."Fight! For old...Dix-eeeee!!!"

Nothing racist here. Old Dixie, as everyone knows, is code for a time of happiness and plenty for all.

Where's the racism in the word "old"? Seriously, the ignorance is overwhelming today.

I sang this song as kid in chorus. I still sing it as an adult doing chores. Not once, am I being racist or thinking racist thoughts.

I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten;
Look away! Look away! Look away, Dixie's Land!
In Dixie's Land where I was born in,
Early on one frosty morning,

(Chorus)
Then I wish I was in Dixie! Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie's Land I'll take my stand, to live and die in Dixie!
Away! Away! Away down South in Dixie!
Away! Away! Away down South in Dixie!

Old Missus married "Will the Weaver";
William was a gay deceiver!
But when he put his arm around her,
Smiled as fierce as a forty-pounder!

(Chorus)
His face was sharp as a butcher's cleaver;
But that did not seem to grieve her!
Old Missus acted the foolish part
And died for a man that broke her heart!
(Chorus)

Now here's a health to the next old missus
And all the gals that want to kiss us!
But if you want to drive away sorrow,
Come and hear this song tomorrow!
(Chorus)
There's buckwheat cakes and Injin batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter!
Then hoe it down and scratch your gravel,
To Dixie's Land I'm bound to travel!
(Chorus)

luvmygdaughters

Does anybody remember the movie "Song of the South". I tried to order it to have at my house for my grandkids. I couldnt find it on the Disney website. The movie was outlawed from being distributed because, according to some political group, it portrayed black people in a negative light. REALLY!! Has anybody seen the movie? Its just the opposite. I finally got it from ebay, I think, but it had to be purchased from a place in England. This may be totally off topic, but, it just reminded me of how stupid this whole PC bs is. I dont care if you're offended by the name or not, dont buy any merchandise, dont watch the games, you have that choice. Just because you'e offended, doesnt mean you can do anything about it, theres no law to protect you from being offended! Get the hell over it. I get offended at least a dozen times a day, somebody wears a bright yellow shirt...offensive, somebody wears too much perfume...offensive, somebody has bad breath but is a close talker...offensive, somebody forgets to use deoderant...offensive, you dont hold the door open...offensive, Get my drift?

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Where's the racism in the word "old"? Seriously, the ignorance is overwhelming today.

I sang this song as kid in chorus. I still sing it as an adult doing chores. Not once, am I being racist or thinking racist thoughts.

I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten;
In Dixie's Land where I was born in,
Early on one frosty morning,

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Does anybody remember the movie "Song of the South". I tried to order it to have at my house for my grandkids. I couldnt find it on the Disney website. The movie was outlawed from being distributed because, according to some political group, it portrayed black people in a negative light. REALLY!! Has anybody seen the movie? Its just the opposite. I finally got it from ebay, I think, but it had to be purchased from a place in England. This may be totally off topic, but, it just reminded me of how stupid this whole PC bs is. I dont care if you're offended by the name or not, dont buy any merchandise, dont watch the games, you have that choice. Just because you'e offended, doesnt mean you can do anything about it, theres no law to protect you from being offended! Get the hell over it. I get offended at least a dozen times a day, somebody wheres a bright yellow shirt...offensive, somebody wears too much perfume...offensive, somebody has bad breath but is a close talker...offensive, somebody forgets to use deoderant...offensive, you dont hold the door open...offensive, Get my drift?

:yeahthat:

:dingding:
Exactly. It really just comes down to one simple thing: Intent.
What is the intent of the name "Redskins"?

Is the name being used in such a manner as to cause harm?
Was the intention or purpose to be disrespectful or bring ill-will?

I believe that the answer is "No" to both questions.

Society is too stuck on this political correctness concept that the rights of a select few begin to outweigh the rights of all the others. We live in a chicken-sh!t society today that is too scared of what might happen.

Whatever happened to common sense? :confused:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That has nothing to do with the Redskins fight song.

thurley42

HY;FR
It will never end...after this they will find something else they are upset about to go after....go after crap that matters, like our country going down the toilet....

The tolerant crowd is only tolerant when you agree with them....

In summary....I hate people, they can all KMA.:buddies:

and I don't even like the Redskins...

Last edited: