Need Everyone's Help!

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Tucker's Mom said:
Well, I actually did think you did disprespect a KIA due to the fact that you posted this:

"Here's an example:

The Democrats want to name a school after Tom Champ because he is a veteran.

The Republicans say "We don't want anyone with two DWI's being idolized."

Who wins? Whoever is in power. That is politics. Any more questions?"

Sounds like you are alluding to the report of this "KIA" as you call him (he has a name by the way) as having problems in his younger days before he was driving the lead truck in a convoy and was fatally shot but kept driving thereby saving the lives of all others in the convoy with him. You seem to be suggesting that because of this you have a problem with a school being named after him???? What you possibly haven't considered is that maybe, just maybe in the future there could be a child who might hear the story of this hometown hero and know that he or she too could make a difference no matter what may have happened in their past.

Oh wow :killingme I just read this..:roflmao: And MMDude was referring to Tom Champ, who was unfortunately not a KIA. But thanks for the info that your KIA had a troubled youth. :yay: Care to share what?

Last edited:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
MysticalMom said:
Oh wow :killingme I just read this..:roflmao: And MMDude was referring to Tom Champ, who was unfortunately not a KIA. But thanks for the info that your KIA had a troubled youth. :yay: Care to share what?
I caught that on the one I quoted. I didn't remark on it because I didn't want to be accused of being a bully, or to be called DUDE!

Oh the pain, parish the thought :drama:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Tucker's Mom said:
Sorry, I thought that maybe someone actually giving their life for your freedom might actually mean something to someone, but seems I am mistaken.
Sure, I mean why not?

However, only on one condition.

1) We must build a new school in St. Mary's for EVERYONE in St. Mary's who gave up their lives for our freedom.

But...how many schools would that be BuddyLee? You might ask...

Let us see...let us see

The American Revolution equates to 300-400 deaths for St. Mary's countians.

There are plaques in historic Leonardtown, which commemorate those lives lost to WWII, Korean, and Vietnam wars. There are at least 50 names on the plaques, at least.

Sheesh, one has to start to wonder if we have enough room for all these schools. On top of that, it's not even close to being over. Let us not forget those St. Mary's countians who served in the War of 1812, Mexican war, Civil war, and WWI to name a few.

Last edited:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
MysticalMom said:
That was my thought. The poster certainly tainted the young man for those of us that did not know he had a troubled past.

MMDad said:
The old Lowe's building is named for him.

I prefer schools to be named for their location, not people. That keeps politics out of the process.

I did not know that. Sure looks like BAE Systems to me. A lot of good that did. :shrug:

donbarzini

BuddyLee said:
Sure, I mean why not?

1) We must build a new school in St. Mary's for EVERYONE in St. Mary's who gave up their lives for our freedom.

Let us see...let us see

There are plaques in historic Leonardtown, which commemorate those lives lost to WWII, Korean, and Vietnam wars. There are at least 50 names on the plaques, at least.

Sheesh, one has to start to wonder if we have enough room for all these schools. On top of that, it's not even close to being over. Let us not forget those St. Mary's countians who served in the War of 1812, Mexican war, Civil war, and WWI to name a few.

Hey BL, how about we put them in 29B on the Navy base, once JPC gets elected and kicks the Navy out?

Mikeinsmd

Tucker's Mom said:
Sorry, I thought that maybe someone actually giving their life for your freedom might actually mean something to someone, but seems I am mistaken.
I bet Tucker is one of those brats who does this ~~> :tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants. Apple, tree etc..... :duh:

K

Kain99

Tucker's Mom has her heart in the right place. Naming the school in this fashion would be a beautiful tribute.

Maybe we should lighten up a lil'. It's really hard to see the big picture when you are personally involved. :huggy:

greyhound

BuddyLee said:
Sure, I mean why not?

Let us see...let us see

This is why schools in Calvert County are not named after people.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Ken King said:
:yeahthat: And for a mascot they could be called the Wildewood Weeds. :biggrin:

Is this another Bush reference?

On the topic of the thread... while I agree that naming the school after our only fallen St. Mary's soldier in Iraq would be a nice tribute, I disagree that it should be done. There are many who have given their lives in Iraq. Some of those may not have been St. Mary's county residents, but I bet some did come through PAX. Even more are known and were friends with the military and civilians that work at PAX. While I am sure Ray was an incredible individual and has made the ultimate sacrifice for his country, he should not be ranked above the many others who have done the same. It is the same with the football player... a big deal was made, but his contribution was no more special than those of the others who put themselves at risk in Iraq and have died doing it. If you are going to do something to recognize these sacrifices, you should do something to recognize all the sacrifices that mean something to everyone in this county. I do appreciate your loss, but we still have soldiers over there fighting and not one of them should feel their sacrifice is any more or less than any others. I understand it is an emotional issue, but it is also just as emotional for anyone else who has lost someone. Also, how do we decide between the one(s) who were killed in 9/11 that were local and the ones killed in the war?

L

ladylara

normally it's my policy to stay out of threads like this... but i had to point out that this person posted this last night and the deadline is today.
if they really wanted our help - perhaps they should have given us some more time?
whatever, i'm just sayin'.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like schools named after people rather than locations - it just seems more historic to me. Not sure if Falstitch is the right person or not because, no offense, but he's not much of a historical figure.

I think the school should be called Dashiell Hammett Elementary.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
FromTexas said:
Is this another Bush reference?
No, and you should quit going there.

It's in reference to a Jim Stafford song.

The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm,
And we never knowed what it was called.
Some said it was a flower and some said it was weed,
I never gave it much thought ......
One day I was out there talking to my brother,
Reached down for a weed to chew on,
Things got fuzzy and things got blurry,
And then everything was gone!
Didn't know what happened,
But I knew it beat the hell out of sniffin' burlap.

I come to and my brother was there,
And he said, What's wrong with your eyes?
I said, I don't know, I was chewing on a weed.
He said, Let me give it a try.
We spent the rest of that day and most of that night,
Trying to find my brother, Bill.
Caught up with him, 'bout six o'clock the next morning,
Naked, swinging on the wind mill!
He said he flew up there.
I had to fly up there and bring him down,
He was about half crazy .....

The very next day we picked a bunch of them weeds,
And put 'em in the sun to dry.
Then we mashed 'em up and chopped 'em up,
And put 'em in the corncob pipe.
Smokin' that wildwood flower got to be a habit,
We didn't see no harm.
We thought it was kind of handy,
Take a trip and never leave the farm!

All good things gotta come to an end,
And it's the same with the wildwood weed.
One day this feller from Washington came by,
And he spied it and turned white as a sheet.
Then they dug and they burned,
And they burned and they dug,
And they killed all our cute little weeds.
Then they drove away,
We just smiled and waved ..........
Sittin' there on that sack of seeds!

Y'all come back now, hear?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
I like schools named after people rather than locations - it just seems more historic to me. Not sure if Falstitch is the right person or not because, no offense, but he's not much of a historical figure.

I think the school should be called Dashiell Hammett Elementary.

Dashiell Hammett's a good idea! But I do think they need to be careful in naming schools after people. My High School was named - and as far as I know it still is named - "Col. Zadok Magruder High School." I hate that goofy name. Their football team was named the "Colonels." :duh:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Tucker's Mom said:
I just wanted him to not have died in vain, just to be forgotten...

If you think he died in vain because a building may not be named after him, lady you have bigger issues than people on this forum disagreeing with you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think the students should name the school. When I was in HS they were building a new high school to the south of us that some of the students in our school would be attending the following year. The students chose the name of the school, the colors, the name of the football team, mascots, etc. All were in place when the school opened.