New Car Selection Help

alex

Dustin,

Thanks for the link. Because I want a small car I am really concerned with the crash test ratings the car gets. I will have to check them out further.

alex

Thanks for all the suggestions. We finally had to bite the bullet and get a new car. We bought the Honda Element. I know.. alot of you think it is ugly but I really like it. It has TONS of room and is good on gas - with today's prices is a plus. It drives like a dream and I am happy with it. Plus it has a 5 star crash rating and a consumer reports recommendation.

I actually bought it over the internet via www.cars.com. It was a great experience. However you MUST do your research and even test drive cars BEFORE you buy. That way you know what you want and then are just looking for good prices and financing options.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
alex said:
I actually bought it over the internet via www.cars.com. It was a great experience. However you MUST do your research and even test drive cars BEFORE you buy. That way you know what you want and then are just looking for good prices and financing options.

Curious as to how that worked? Closest Honda dealer is in Waldorf. Did they deliver it even though you bought over the web? Could you have purchased from the delivering dealer at the same price? Who will service it? Curious about the details of the internet purchase, and how you were treated?

alex

No they do not deliver it to you - you go to the dealer. Even if you request a quote via the manufacterers website you still have to go to a dealer to get the car. In this case Honda's webiste tells you that the dealer sets the price.

I did purchase a pricing report from www.consumerreports.org before I requested my quotes and the price I paid was what the report said I should pay so I was happy.

The local dealer in Waldorf, Ken Dixon Honda, did not have the model and trim I wanted and were not willing to look for the one I wanted. I received price quotes from about 4-5 dealers in the MD/VA area. You pick the dealers you want to get quotes from. This dealer - Sheehy Honda in No VA, had the best price, a $4000 guarantee that I would not find it cheaper and great service. They handled everything via email and telephone, even the financing. We just went in and signed the papers,(they did try to sell you the xtras but not a hard sell and took our no thank you's very well) they prepped the car and away we went. We could have test driven it first, but I had already done a few weeks ago. They will even Fedex my new tags to me when they come in at no cost.

This is the 2nd time we have purchased from a Sheehy dealer and both times the experience and price could not be beat. As for servicing the vehicle - well for warranty I will have to check out the booklet but I believe I can take it to any dealer. Regular mainenance goes to my trusted mechanic. However I was impressed that they recommend oil changes on this vehicle every 5K not 3 and a tuneup is not recommended until 110K. Of course at 1K I will have the oil switched to Mobile 1.

Oz said:
Curious as to how that worked? Closest Honda dealer is in Waldorf. Did they deliver it even though you bought over the web? Could you have purchased from the delivering dealer at the same price? Who will service it? Curious about the details of the internet purchase, and how you were treated?
:yeahthat:

willie

Oz said:
Your best bet is probably a Toyota Camry with a 4 cyl. Excellent economy, in a nice sized family car. And, they really have those geared for nice pep. I think you're going to come it right around $20k for one with popular options.
:yeahthat:
We have a Camry in the family and the performance of the 4cyl will surprise you. The trunk space is big and unlike some cars, the opening is wide. It has 14" wheels and that is the only complaint. Tires are too small for the weight it usually carries so when it is eventually replaced with another Camry, it will be the LE model with larger wheels/tires and brakes. That model will probably have a V6. It is an excellent car and cheap only in price.
Whoops! I missed the second page, enjoy the new car!

Last edited:

Cletus_Vandam

Go with the xB!!!!

You have to test drive the xB. I have one and love it. There were a few simple problems with a squeek, but other than that, I have had no problems with it. I was able to find a TSB (technical service bulletin) online and was able to tighten the rear seat myslef to stop the squeek.

Since it is basically a Toyota in Scion's clothing, I expect to get several hundred thosand miles on it with little problem. I have a Toyota P/U with over 170,000 miles on it and I am just getting around to having to replace the clutch on it. You can't beat the Toyotas for their reliability.

As for the cost, xB's have a base of $14,100. That's with a manual transmission. They come standard with AC, power windows, power locks and power mirrors (options on most other cars)...

I am 6'2" and weigh 225. With me sitting in the driver's seat, there's plenty of room up front and in the back for an adult passenger (I don't even have to pull the seat up).

The looks of them----- you either love 'em or hate 'em. I haven't found too many people who don't have an opinion either way.

Performance-wise: they aren't too bad. Given the fact that they only have a 1.5 liter four. They aren't going to keep up with the Honda's and other things that have been recommended, but then again those others aren't getting the same milage and aren't as inexpensive....

PM me if you want a recommendation on dealership and salesperson.

alex

I did test drive the xB and it was a choice between it and the Element. However, the xB does not have any crash test ratings yet and the Element if 5 star. Plus the engine was a little bigger so it can get out of the way and merge easier.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Alex - one thing about your new Honda - leave that oil in there longer than 1,000 miles! Honda is probably the last manufacturer that puts a break-in additive into their oil, and you should extend your first oil change to their first recommended interval. After that, put the Mobil 1 or other synthetic into the crankcase. (On the Accords, I think that first oil change is at 7500 miles. Check your owners manual for more info.)

OH! And by delivery I meant it in typical car dealer terms. Not like they brought it to you, or the Fedex guy had it in a box... Dealer Delivery = delivering the car from the manufacturer to the retail customer.

alex

Oz - thanks for the heads up on the oil change. It is 5000 for the element which I thought was pretty good. What really blew me away was a recommended tuneup at 110K.

alex said:
Oz - thanks for the heads up on the oil change. It is 5000 for the element which I thought was pretty good. What really blew me away was a recommended tuneup at 110K.
Recommended tuneup on my Pontiac is 100K.

alex

Boy - this just shows how long it has been since I bought a new car. Last time oil changes were every 3K and tuneups every 50K