New Here, May Relocate

USNavyWife

Hello! We are looking into relocating from California to NAS PAX. I am a student and a SAHM to a 16 mos old girl. And obviously a Navy wife. We are originally from Rochester, NY, and want to move back east to be closer to our family.

So...I am trying to find out information on southern Maryland and the best places to look at for living. Our BAH (rent money, for those who don't know) will be either $1118 if we come next year, or $1388 if we wait until after my husband is commissioned as an officer. Will we be able to afford a good place for that? We have no pets. Can anyone give me the names of some places to look at? And what are the best areas to look at near NAS PAX?

Also, what is the quality of life in MD? I've been trying to find stuff online, but all I can find is historical information, and sight-seeing stuff, nothing about what it's like to live there.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!

USNavyWife

One More Question....

If we relocate to VA Beach, we will be able to afford renting a 4 bedroom house. What are the chances of that in S. MD?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
look here for an idea about what your money will get you in this area (southern maryland) ... can't say what Va Beach rentals are going for. :shrug:

Welcome & good luck! :cool:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Use the navy SITES website. That'll tell you all about the area and cost of living and quality of life. My first impression when being transferred from Norfolk to Pax River was "Where the heck are the malls?" Grew to really like the area, though.
Why a 4 bedroom if you only have one kid?

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Also, go to your local Fleet and Family Support center. They'll have packages on each location if you can't find the SITES website. (You have to be enrolled in DEERS to be able to use it)Sites website login

USNavyWife

Thank you. And the reason we want a 4 bedroom is because we plan on having another child very soon, so that will make 3 bedrooms, plus we have a couple computers, filing cabinet, etc so we want an office.

What are the "nice hoods"?

crabcake

Originally posted by cariblue
You know, a nice neighborhood...for that amount, you won't have to live in the flat tops (not a nice hood). :lol: I kill myself.

:gossip: Psst ... I think she meant "which ones are nice"

dustin

UAIOE
NavyWife,

Try calling the NAS PAX Housing office @ 301-342-3847. They have listings of local places to rent and buy from all price ranges which could be faxed to you.

Base housing here is in high demand, and youre only allowed as many rooms as you have people. If you decide to get base housing try and get on the waiting list as early as possible. Glenn Forest is the only base housing which are available with garages and is located off base by a mile or so. The rest are on base.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
The housing on base is really nice. Nice brick homes in one division.
I'd think you'd be better off asking what areas to avoid in Pax River (SOMD) I'd steer clear of Great Mills addys, even though I lived there when I was up there, I've never heard anything good about it.

crabcake

when ...

are you looking to move ... in all honesty, rentals/sales go quick for the most part (if they're worth a damn). If you aren't looking at moving in the next 2-3 months, what you see now will likely be gone.

you may wanna place a "rental wanted" ad with the time frame you are looking to move and areas you are interested in. Then, if a landlord sees the ad, and knows their rental may be vacant around that time, they can contact you. :shrug: just a suggestion.

crabcake

Oh, also..(I think my brain is overflowing today :rolleyes:), as a student your options are the community college, or continued adult education through St. Mary's College.

or UMUC (University of Maryland University College Online) ... :yay: that's where I'm headed. :biggrin: decent in-state and military rates.

dustin

UAIOE
There are also a few sub divisions going up south of Gate 3. If schools aren't a concern, you may want to consider hubby's commute to and from work.

True. The way the base is setup NavyWife, is that you have to cross or get on the main drag through Lexington Park (235). That means lights. If your hubby will be driving south on 235 (coming from the north) to the base or heading east across/intersecting 235, he will be sitting in traffic in the morning. Going north on 235 (home located south of the base), there is no traffic to speak of until you gotta get in line at the Gate. All the development is going on North of the base so check out mapquest to see how the base is setup along with the row-ads.

Although PAX river has no where near the traffic congestion wich plagues bases like NS Mayport, FL and NAS North Island, CA, your hubby can still maximize his time in bed by choosing a good route to work.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by dustin
your hubby can still maximize his time in bed by choosing a good route to work.
That's why I take the REALLY long (distance) way to work. It's faster than going straight down 235. And very few lights...

We live about 20 miles north of the base. House across the street from us (1 year old 3 bedroom split foyer w/ room for an office in the basement on 1 acre +/-) rents for about $1500 I think.