New Home Construction

dottymae

Some advice for people having a house built...

HERE ARE SOME TIPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM BUILDING A HOUSE OF BLUES.
1. ONLY BUY FROM A BUILDER THAT WILL LET YOU VISIT DURING CONSTRUCTION --THEN DROP BY FREQUENTLY.
2. MAKE SURE YOUR CONTRACT ALLOWS YOU TO BRING A HOME INSPECTOR ON THE PREMISES.
3. HIRE SOMEBODY WHO'S A MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF HOME INSPECTORS..
4. YOUR INSPECTOR SHOULD LOOK OVER THE HOUSE BEFORE THE DRYWALL GOES UP, AND AGAIN WHEN THE HOUSE IS COMPLETE 5. FORWARD THE INSPECTOR'S REPORT TO THE BUILDER --AND TO YOUR COUNTY BUILDING DEPARTMENT-- TO PUSH FOR REPAIRS.

As seen on Fox5 Washington Fox 5 website
Click on Fox 5 Investigates, Archives, House of Blues
Aired April 28, 2003

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Thank you, vrai. That's EXACTLY right. YOU are paying HIM. It doesn't matter if you p!ss him off - you're paying a lot of money and they OWE it to you.

I've been in my house for almost a YEAR now. I'm STILL fighting with the builder to come back and finish/fix things that he never did - some minor, other major. Once he got the $$$ from the bank, I've had a hell of a time getting him to come back. He's finally coming back after I threatened to sue him and report him to the builder's association.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, interview your builder before you make a decision. If he cops an attitude with you, let some other poor schmuck give him their money.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by laureng
One of my good friends used to work for Liberty Homes, who have the rentals and new houses/townhouses behind Nicoletti's. There is a woman there who was incredibly mad about her house, etc... and she spray painted both of her cars with nasty sayings about the builder. She drives them all around town, and I've seen her lots of times. They sued her, but since my friend doesn't work there anymore I don't know what the outcome was.

That's too freakin funny, lauren. My MIL works for Liberty and I remember her saying something about this lady a time or two!

pwf

Dottie...whoever

Do you know the building process? An inspector has to come through the house at the insulation point which is right before the drywall goes up. If you drop by that is fine but if you look into a contract it says because of the insurance the builder cannot know that you are on the property. You can't fight this with me I have worked for a real estate lawyer.

Jim's Custom Homes builds good homes, just because one person is unhappy doesn't mean anything. You can't please 100 percent of the people 100 percent of the time. And no I am not the builder, but I do live in a Jim's Custom Built home. Jim is a small builder and gets to things as he can. He manages to build a lot of homes which leaves little time for anything else. He does deserve a life. He wasn't able to get to everything very quickly but when he did take care of it there was no problem. Thanks Jim.

pwf

No see I have to threaten you physically which I would never do. I'm a very personable person and do not appreciate having a friend called a loser. You try it on for size. I do apologize for being so vocal. I will calm down now. Thank you for your posting PoliticalAnalyst

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Also, interview your builder before you make a decision. If he cops an attitude with you, let some other poor schmuck give him their money.

Actually, I interviewed about a dozen builders and picked the one I did because of the interview and recommendations from other people. He didn't cop an attitude until AFTER he had the money.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I personally have been in several homes built by Jim Weaver and know a few people who have homes by them and are very happy. It just my opinion but he seems to be very professional and a good builder. I have never heard anything negative before.

smile

Well here I am a current homeowner of a Jim's Custom Home. I sat here and read everything that everyone said, since a friend sent me this link. I sit here and read people bashing Jim Weaver who don't even know. Just b/c one person had a problem with him, which by the way could be from their attitude, since we have noticed it here, doesn't mean that he is a poor builder. My Jim's Custom Home built house is great and I love it. I have not had any problems with the home since I lived here.

I do think pcteach does need to think about how the weather has been lately and I am sure that is the problem. I can't imagine Jim Weaver not wanting to fix something he started. He takes pride in his work.

smile

Originally posted by cariblue
Then why won't he call her back? Dang, I'd have an attitude, too.

Like someone said before, there is always two sides to the story. NONE of us have been on the phone or present when these messages or conversations occured. So NONE of us really have any right to be bashing the poor man.

Like I said before, my house was great and I have no complaints.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Cariblue and many other posters are right, why won't the builder communicate with the disgruntled customers and try to satisfy them? Or at least show them in the contract where he is no longer responsible for fixing the problem.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by smile
Well here I am a current homeowner of a Jim's Custom Home. Just b/c one person had a problem with him doesn't mean that he is a poor builder. My Jim's Custom Home built house is great and I love it. I have not had any problems with the home since I lived here.

Works both ways. Just because you had a decent experience, doesn't mean that is the norm.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Like someone said before, there is always two sides to the story. NONE of us have been on the phone or present when these messages or conversations occured. So NONE of us really have any right to be bashing the poor man.

Like I said before, my house was great and I have no complaints.

We all have the right to do as we wish, as long as we're not breaking any laws.

If Jim was so great, this thread would've never been started and if he can't stand the criticism when due, he should've never started a business where he has to directly deal with the public. I'm sure you'd be on the other side of the fence if you were having the same problem with this man.

As for your sig. line....:boo:

smile

Well i have seen two homeowners on here at least that have not had a problem with him and just one that did. Just because someone starts something doesn't necessarily mean they are always telling the complete and absolute truth. NONE of us know the person who started it and they could just be a person that is never pleased.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Well i have seen two homeowners on here at least that have not had a problem with him and just one that did. Just because someone starts something doesn't necessarily mean they are always telling the complete and absolute truth. NONE of us know the person who started it and they could just be a person that is never pleased.

Then how do we know that you're telling the truth?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue

Since a few of you are such big fans of his, call him and invite him to join the forum and share his side of the story! :cheesy:
:yeahthat:

Pass the popcorn Em