New To The Area

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Shoot - between your natural charm and your looks you don't even need to try. It's really annoying. :razz:

HGMilstead

There are no places like Buc-ees in Maryland or anywhere else but TX. But that reminds me:

The biggest adjustment will be when you get hungry for BBQ or Mexican. Buy a smoker and learn to do your own brisket. There is a decent enough sized Hispanic population that the grocery stores carry raw tortillas in the fridge case next to the whomp biscuits - strangely that Hispanic population doesn't translate to good Mexican restaurants.

The good news is summer begins crab season, so you'll learn how to pick steamed blue crabs. Also the shrimp in MD are steamed, not boiled, and I predict you'll become a convert.

The part of Maryland where you'll be is quite rural and no proper city to be found. Depending on where you end up living, Annapolis is maybe an hour away and a terrific day trip.

Leonardtown is a cute small town, with a walky-shoppy-eaty-drinky area. In fact, you could live in Ltown and go straight down Rt 5 to work - someone else will have to tell you what that traffic is like but it certainly can't be the mess that 235 is.

You'll also like Solomons Island, which is a seaside town with places to eat, drink, and recreate.

I think you'll like the friendly people and reduction of crime (compared to Houston).

I'm trying not to sound negative, and honestly while I love Texas so much I wouldn't live in Houston (or Austin, or Dallas) either. It will be an adjustment for sure but you may welcome the slower pace and lowkey atmosphere.

But I'm not kidding about that smoker....and you probably already know how, but if you do need a "recipe" for proper TX brisket let me know.

JUst Replying to say thanks so much! Good to knOw of all this stuff! IS renting or housing costs going to be an issue? MY to-be-coworkers have given me a heads up that the naval presence keeps prices stable to high, but some have warNed thAt prices the MomEnt are crazy! (plan is to rent the first year or so—just me my wife and our daughter who is homeschooled so we’re flexible on location but would prefer something nice or even by some water).

ps forgive crazy typos — doing this on PHone and it’s unUsually triCKy dUe to distractions)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I will be moving to SoMD this summer (from Houston, TX).

After giving it some thought, I realized I could reach out to residents using forums like this one.
Maryland is new to me, so I’m grateful for any information others can provide.

Just reaching out for folks’ thoughts and advice.
Understanding that opinions are likely to vary, can anyone here point me in the direction of recommendations for places to eat and local attractions?
Really interested in people’s recommendations for where I might live.
Going to be working at St. Mary’s college of Maryland, and while friendly people there have offered some recommendations I wanted to get others’ perspectives, too.
Of course, answers to questions I didn’t know to ask are welcome!
Be prepared to give up all your firearm and self-defense rights you enjoyed in Texas, when you make your journey eastward here. Also, that independent Texan spirit, doesn't really go over too well. Speaking one's mind and standing up for oneself is frowned upon. You like taxes? If so you are really going to like it here. Name a tax, fee, surcharge, tariff, yup, we've got it. We scored 46 out of 50 states for the cost of doing business. It's a race to the bottom here and the democrats love to run in races, and cheat doing it as well.

Other than that? Northern St. Mary's is nice, and still pretty much rural. Southern, meaning south of Lexington Park, also nice, where the Potomac River and The Chesapeake Bay converge. The 7th Distinct area has probably the most laid back, easy going people in St. Mary's. God's Country it's called. Got's lots of money? Southern Calvert County is nice, lots of water, where the Patuxent River and the Chesapeake Bay converge. More tributary water ways as well. But not cheap. Nothing, in Calvert County is cheap, inexpensive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
IS renting or housing costs going to be an issue?

Maybe. I understand Houston to have high housing costs compared to other cities/areas of Texas, so you might not notice a big difference. I know it's crazy expensive (comparatively) to live in Austin and Dallas, so I imagine Houston is roughly the same. You shouldn't have a big sticker shock.

What you will notice is the Maryland state income tax. :dead:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
JUst Replying to say thanks so much! Good to knOw of all this stuff! IS renting or housing costs going to be an issue? MY to-be-coworkers have given me a heads up that the naval presence keeps prices stable to high, but some have warNed thAt prices the MomEnt are crazy! (plan is to rent the first year or so—just me my wife and our daughter who is homeschooled so we’re flexible on location but would prefer something nice or even by some water).

ps forgive crazy typos — doing this on PHone and it’s unUsually triCKy dUe to distractions)

Rental rates are pretty high and rental properties are in high demand, hence scarce. So the info you got from your to-be-coworkers is accurate. Rentals in the Ridge, Park Hall, St. Inigoes, Dameron, Scotland areas are particularly scarce since that area is less densely populated and developed. But that's where you'll be within the easiest commute from the college too. A friend and business colleague works at the college and he lives in the Tall Timbers/Piney Point area...another good place to look although then you've got the Great Mills traffic bottleneck to deal with every day.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Rental rates are pretty high and rental properties are in high demand, hence scarce. So the info you got from your to-be-coworkers is accurate. Rentals in the Ridge, Park Hall, St. Inigoes, Dameron, Scotland areas are particularly scarce since that area is less densely populated and developed. But that's where you'll be within the easiest commute from the college too. A friend and business colleague works at the college and he lives in the Tall Timbers/Piney Point area...another good place to look although then you've got the Great Mills traffic bottleneck to deal with every day.
....and don't forget to mention Scotland is haunted as all get out.............more ghosts than people

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
....and don't forget to mention Scotland is haunted as all get out.............more ghosts than people
I gave out copies of this one Christmas:

And a search of "haunted maryland" will bring up a number of books on Southern Maryland hauntings.

HGMilstead

Judging by all the good natured ribbing, it seems like this is a friendly place.
Undoubtedly a good sign!
Really, a great sign.
Good group of people seems to gather here.
On the other hand, I am confused by the fact that y’all seem to refer to your locales by county — this will take some adjustment.

It occurs to me to ask why the emoji-vomiting.
Seems like I missed something there...

By late July I should be a somd resident,
And can maybe participate better in all this.
Clearly there’s a lot of history here, and I
Know or think it could be fun to contribute!

But until then I will take you all up.
I will likely ask for recs these next weeks.
‘Till then, thanks so much!
Cool people, lots of jokes, good info so far!
Hit me up if you have any questions for me!
(Even though I cant imagine what they’d be...)
See ya’ real soon!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Judging by all the good natured ribbing, it seems like this is a friendly place.
Undoubtedly a good sign!
Really, a great sign.
Good group of people seems to gather here.
On the other hand, I am confused by the fact that y’all seem to refer to your locales by county — this will take some adjustment.

It occurs to me to ask why the emoji-vomiting.
Seems like I missed something there...

By late July I should be a somd resident,
And can maybe participate better in all this.
Clearly there’s a lot of history here, and I
Know or think it could be fun to contribute!

But until then I will take you all up.
I will likely ask for recs these next weeks.
‘Till then, thanks so much!
Cool people, lots of jokes, good info so far!
Hit me up if you have any questions for me!
(Even though I cant imagine what they’d be...)
See ya’ real soon!!
Hollywood is nice. Right next door to California! 😂

But that's a bit out of your way. 😁