New To The Area

dreamkeeper

Myself & a friend are new to the area. Are there any good places to ride down here? I've read back through some of these posts and see alot of drama...guess that's anywhere you go but would prefer to stay out of that arena! How about local horse Associations? We would appreciate any input.

W

WildHorses

dreamkeeper said:
Myself & a friend are new to the area. Are there any good places to ride down here? I've read back through some of these posts and see alot of drama...guess that's anywhere you go but would prefer to stay out of that arena! How about local horse Associations? We would appreciate any input.

People are passionate about their horses and, therefore, if you're going to deal with horses you are going to have to deal with drama. Although we prefer to refer to it as stating our own opinions. There are many nice places and many nice people in the area to work with -- good luck. :flowers: Check the Equiery and local tack store bulletin boards. :howdy:

fredsaid2

Welcome! There are several local schooling series, what are your interests? Do you own, looking to lease, lessons?

arabianpony

Do you have your own horses? If so there is Greenwell State park in Hollywood, the Watershed, over off route 5 off the top of my head. There are several trail ride clubs also.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
The big difference besides owning your own horse is -do you have a trailer? There are alot of places to go if you have a way to get there. Greenwell, Oakridge, Doncaster, Myrtle Grove, St Marys Lake, and once you get known there are alot of private farms to ride if you get an invite. There are the hunt clubs and pony clubs for the foo-foo riders (pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?) type and SMTR, MAHA, and CWPHA and 4H for the western type - although there is a lot of mingling between the two. And then there are the dressage people (sorry, watching paint dry) who have a ton of stuff going on too. Maryland is very horse friendly if you know where to look!

dreamkeeper

WildHorses said:
People are passionate about their horses and, therefore, if you're going to deal with horses you are going to have to deal with drama. Although we prefer to refer to it as stating our own opinions.

Reading back through the muck...I didn''t see a whole lot of useful information pertaining to horses or places to ride down here. I have no problem with any opinions, we're all entitled to them...I just read alot of poo slinging, not really interested in that stuff. Unless I'm cleaning out my barn. Thanks for your input and I do agree that most people that have horses are very passionate.

Last edited:

dreamkeeper

fredsaid2 said:
Welcome! There are several local schooling series, what are your interests? Do you own, looking to lease, lessons?

My girlfriend and I have been riding on the Rodeo Circuit for years. I've pulled some information off line regarding where the closest circuit is...but pretty much looks like we'll be hauling to PA, DE, OH, VA....which is not a problem but was hoping there was somthing in this area. We own our horses (2) and currently looking for a place here in SO. MD to move them to. She's a barrel racer and I'm a team penner.

dreamkeeper

arabianpony said:
Do you have your own horses? If so there is Greenwell State park in Hollywood, the Watershed, over off route 5 off the top of my head. There are several trail ride clubs also.

Yes we own our 2 horses. What and where are the trail riding clubs? We love to trail ride, especially in our off season, takes the pressure off of our horses.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
dreamkeeper said:

Are you a female?

if yes then i got somewhere you can ride :lmao:

dreamkeeper

HorseLady said:
The big difference besides owning your own horse is -do you have a trailer? There are alot of places to go if you have a way to get there. Greenwell, Oakridge, Doncaster, Myrtle Grove, St Marys Lake, and once you get known there are alot of private farms to ride if you get an invite. There are the hunt clubs and pony clubs for the foo-foo riders (pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?) type and SMTR, MAHA, and CWPHA and 4H for the western type - although there is a lot of mingling between the two. And then there are the dressage people (sorry, watching paint dry) who have a ton of stuff going on too. Maryland is very horse friendly if you know where to look!

Yes, we own our own trailer and used to doing alot of traveling. What is SMTR and those others? We don't ride english...only western. My gals a barrel racer and I'm a team penner. We do love to trail ride also.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
hey i gotta barrel pony for sale know anyone might be interested? :biggrin: <SPAM>
we are avid campers, and do trails anywhere/anytime we can.
I'm also looking for something gaited...but not sure what breed yet. i need to ride some more breeds before i commit to one.
Welcome!!
SMTR is the Southern MD Trail Riders club. Horselady, Percy and i are all members, i'm the new secretary for '06 i believe.
:popcorn:
i say peeping out from behind the hay barn....

Last edited:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Welcome

Hi Dreamkeeper:howdy: Im Percy.

Lets set aside a day real soon and all of us go for a ride. We can ride here at my place...Horselady, Appyday, Happyappy, Mingiz, Goldenhorse,Wildhorse, 4leaf farm, fred said, Arab pony,even Sahrab, and any other that would like to join-in.
Bring your gal...we would love to meet her too!

Dougstermd Im sure I can find a female for you to ride too.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

dreamkeeper said:
My girlfriend and I have been riding on the Rodeo Circuit for years. I've pulled some information off line regarding where the closest circuit is...but pretty much looks like we'll be hauling to PA, DE, OH, VA....which is not a problem but was hoping there was somthing in this area. We own our horses (2) and currently looking for a place here in SO. MD to move them to. She's a barrel racer and I'm a team penner.

The two local associations I had in mind have western classes but now I think they'd be too tame for you guys : ) Although if you expressed an interest they might try to set up a barrel class. Both are friendly and will add/change to suit the membership. Here's the links

MSA
SMHA

Neither are probably what you're looking for but with your experience perhaps you could spark local interest. Good Luck!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
persimmoncf said:
Hi Dreamkeeper:howdy: Im Percy.

Lets set aside a day real soon and all of us go for a ride. We can ride here at my place...Horselady, Appyday, Happyappy, Mingiz, Goldenhorse,Wildhorse, 4leaf farm, fred said, Arab pony,even Sahrab, and any other that would like to join-in.
Bring your gal...we would love to meet her too!

Dougstermd Im sure I can find a female for you to ride too.

The Dougster has a girl to ride thank you very much.