NFL enters an era of no salary cap

Beta84

They're out to get us
Think he had at least one more year from that second contract. He did get an injury settlement since he ended the year on IR.

maybe it had something to do with this year being uncapped. I know Ronnie Brown had a similar situation with the Dolphins.

the amount of cuts right now is insane!

BuddyLee

Football addict
maybe it had something to do with this year being uncapped. I know Ronnie Brown had a similar situation with the Dolphins.

the amount of cuts right now is insane!
All these guys had it comin'. Skins fans were anticipating any or all of these vets to be cut the last three years.

Betts was actually older than I thought (31) and coming off a torn knee.

Skins save roughly $10.52 million excluding the Griffin cut.

So I assume, with an uncapped year, teams will use this opportunity to cut the players with the contracts they've been wanting to get out from under -ones they couldn't cut before because the big bonuses would count against the next year's salary cap.

Then, what happens if they work out a deal and there is a cap next year? Or, is that out of the question at this point?

BuddyLee

Football addict
So I assume, with an uncapped year, teams will use this opportunity to cut the players with the contracts they've been wanting to get out from under -ones they couldn't cut before because the big bonuses would count against the next year's salary cap.

Then, what happens if they work out a deal and there is a cap next year? Or, is that out of the question at this point?
A cap next year is not out of the question, however, things aren't looking good.

You're right though. This is the perfect time to cut your dead weight. Even if there were a cap next season, someone like Snyder could still cut a player if he were willing to pay out of his pocket.

Rael

Supper's Ready
EXTREMESKINS.com - Powered by vBulletin

Probably the best site for up and coming rumors and news. These guys find things out well in advance. Some of them even track owners planes, where they're going and landing.:lmao:

I was just going to say "never mind, I found it" (on NFL.com, but I had to look for it). But it sounds like it's worth the trip over to your link just to listen in. Better details. Thanks. :yay:

Beta84

They're out to get us
All these guys had it comin'. Skins fans were anticipating any or all of these vets to be cut the last three years.

Betts was actually older than I thought (31) and coming off a torn knee.

Skins save roughly $10.52 million excluding the Griffin cut.

31??? wow!! he's done

BuddyLee

Football addict
Skins have also released...

QB Todd Collins

RB Marcus Mason

WR Antwaan Randle El

DL J.D. Skolnitsky

FB Eddie Williams

That makes 10 cuts today.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/report-n...0-million.html

Report: New York Giants Could Offer Julius Peppers $100 Million

Julius Peppers may have found a team willing to meet his huge asking price.

According to media reports, the Giants could offer the defensive end a $100 million deal. On WFAN's Boomer and Carton show Wednesday morning, Craig Carton confirmed that he had inside information that the Giants have prepared an offer similar to Albert Haynesworth's seven-year, $100 million agreement with the Washington Redskins.

Peppers will leave the Carolina Panthers as a free agent after declining their offer of about $14 million a year. The 30-year-old has expressed a willingness to play in a 3-4 defense and would be open to moving from defensive end to outside linebacker. If the Giants signed Peppers, they could move to a 3-4 scheme.

Six to eight teams are rumored to have interest in signing the defensive end, including the Redskins, Patriots and Bears.

Peppers has 81 career sacks in eight seasons. With his strong 2009 season in which he posted 10 1/2 sacks, the five-time Pro Bowler may get the big contract he wants.

The bidding war begins Friday at 12:01 a.m.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I also hear the Redskins, Eagles, Bears and Seahawks are very interested with the Bears and Seahawks being the favorites.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Aaron Kampman-LB-Packers Mar. 4 - 5:01 pm et

A league source tells the Chicago Sun Times that free agent Aaron Kampman "may be headed to Philadelphia."
The move would make sense for both sides, as Kampman fits a 4-3 defense like the Birds' best, and Philadelphia is desperate for a consistent pass rush on the strong side of its defensive line. Kampman is naturally a left end.
Source: Chicago Sun Times

JoeR

That is why a lot of teams have a self imposed cap. Just in case it does get worked out. Also remember with no cap comes no floor also. With a salary cap there was also a minimum they had to spend on salaries. So owners also have the ability to not spend and pocket the money also.

BuddyLee

Football addict

BuddyLee

Football addict
So, in an un-capped year the Skins are considering "secondary" free-agents and not the marque targets.

Could they really be turning the corner with this new regime?:yahoo:

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-Redskins.html

click link for entire article

Report: Chad Clifton to visit Redskins

Washington has great need for left tackle

The Washington Redskins are not being as quiet as everyone first expected when they were on the sidelines for the rush the Chicago Bears made after Julius Peppers.

Turns out they’re very much in play for the first frame of free agency, and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that left tackle Chad Clifton, a 10-year veteran of the Green Bay Packers, will visit the Redskins today, a day after Chris Samuels retired.

The Packers, according to Cole, are offering Clifton a deal that averages about $5 million annually. Clifton is seeking closer to $7 million per season. The Redskins badly need a left tackle, but so do the Packers, who could now have to face Jared Allen and Julius Peppers for four games.