NFL Players Arrested Every 7 Days On Average

SamSpade

It's a logical fallacy. For one, saying "there are more important things to..." means that one presumes to suggest that their list of what's important and the other person's list of what's important are precisely the same. Secondly, even if there is agreement that "there are other things which are more important..." doesn't mean both can't get worked on at the same time.

It's an oft-repeated statement, and as soon as I see it I generally tune out the rest. It happens a lot here on these forums.

I'd say it happens just about everywhere. I don't think I saw a single panel discussing this issue - or one spokesman for a team or franchise that did NOT say this.
I generally see it as a dodge for someone who is either ill-prepared or unwilling to discuss it or has an opinion on it they'd rather not divulge.

But I have to agree your analysis of it is spot on. While some think the nuclear threat from North Korea is the most important issue, others may see climate change as more pressing.
Some of my more religious friends see eternal salvation as more important than both. It does have to do with everyone's priorities.

And I do admit that the NFL and kneeling is a rather small issue but it doesn't mean it can't be discussed.
It's not important enough to me to seek out every sponsor of the NFL, but it does mean I won't be watching.
Possibly ever.

Restitution

It's a logical fallacy. For one, saying "there are more important things to..." means that one presumes to suggest that their list of what's important and the other person's list of what's important are precisely the same. Secondly, even if there is agreement that "there are other things which are more important..." doesn't mean both can't get worked on at the same time.

It's an oft-repeated statement, and as soon as I see it I generally tune out the rest. It happens a lot here on these forums.

Really? This is based on your apparent 1 to 1.5 months experience here?? Wow! Way to out the ole' MPD :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess the NFL, and its players, are the new enemy?

They stepped into the "hate America" fray, so now they get to be in the hot seat. They engage in these antics to get attention, and now they've got it. If that's hard for you to understand, I can explain in further detail.

Others have already addressed the rest of your post, and I have nothing to add.

Chris0nllyn

I do. Especially with no cooperation from either party. He is doing great. So far I cannot wait to vote for him again
He is head and shoulder above the Community Organizer.

I hope you get something, anything out of it. Not sure what your litmus test is for doing "great", but if you believe he's doing great, that's your choice.

I've yet to see anything he's done to help us little guys out.

They stepped into the "hate America" fray, so now they get to be in the hot seat. They engage in these antics to get attention, and now they've got it. If that's hard for you to understand, I can explain in further detail.

Others have already addressed the rest of your post, and I have nothing to add.

A majority of them are doing this because Trump opened his big mouth again.

There's a reason they are kneeling AND have their hand over their chest. Team owners, coaches, and players all knelt, and this only happened after Trump said:
“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he’s fired!’ You nkow, some owner is going to do that. He’s gonna say, ‘That guy disrespects our flag, he’s fired.’ And that owner, they don’t know it. They don’t know it. They’re friends of mine, many of them. They don’t know it. They’ll be the most popular person, for a week. They’ll be the most popular person in the country."

Prior to his speech in Alabama, only a handful of players continued what Kaepernick started last year. Michael Bennett, Malcolm Jenkins, and a bunch (12) of Browns players (Jamie Collins, Seth DeValve, Duke Johnson, Kenny Britt, Ricardo Louis, Terrence Magee, Calvin Pryor, Jamar Taylor, Isaiah Crowell, Jabrill Peppers, and Christian Kirksey) were some of the ones to kneel prior to Trump's comments.

The President essentially called anyone who feels a different way (regarding the flag/kneeling) a "son of a bitch", and the players and league ran with it. It's a lot easier to rally around the perceived disrespect by the President than anything else, and that's what happened.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/23/...rs-reactions-national-anthem-protests-twitter

Team statements can be found here (you'll notice some references to Trump's comments):
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/9/24/16357560/trump-nfl-boycott-statements-anthem

This forum is a group of people who supposedly believe in rights of other people, as long as it's done the way YOU want it done. 20 posts on how there is NO RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH AT YOUR WORKPLACE, while everyone seemingly ignores the fact that both the league and teams are on board with this. I've seen complaints that that "isn't the right time to protest", as if one's individual protest has to conform to anyone else's schedule or placate anyone else's feelings.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Regardless of what the apologists and excuse-makers are saying, the responses I've seen on FB and elsewhere have been overwhelmingly against the stunts being pulled by a bunch of overpaid game players. And that's all that really will matter at the end of the day. It's going to be interesting to see how the NFL fares over the coming weeks and months. NBA too...since they've already announced their multi-million-dollar babies are going to behave similarly ;-)

Meanwhile..the shooting wars on the streets of Chicago and Baltimore continue..ignored and unabated.

luvmygdaughters

Regardless of what the apologists and excuse-makers are saying, the responses I've seen on FB and elsewhere have been overwhelmingly against the stunts being pulled by a bunch of overpaid game players. And that's all that really will matter at the end of the day. It's going to be interesting to see how the NFL fares over the coming weeks and months. NBA too...since they've already announced their multi-million-dollar babies are going to behave similarly ;-)

Meanwhile..the shooting wars on the streets of Chicago and Baltimore continue..ignored and unabated.

:yeahthat: I said it before, the Baltimore Ravens should take a look at the city they represent!!! If the players feel so offended and threatened, why dont I see them marching in rally's? Why dont I see them protesting anywhere else??? Do you think they have signs hung on their multimillion dollar mansions showing support for anything???? Give me a break...Its a bunch of Bullpoopie and "look at me, I care about my people" attention grabbing cockamamie crap!!!!

Weems

You are just adorbs.

You can’t shake that latent collectivism can you? Facebook comments agree with me, therefore I am awesome.

*snicker*

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A majority of them are doing this because Trump opened his big mouth again.

No, the majority of them are doing it because the immature ignorant football thugs doubled down on their "I hate the country that made me rich" bullcrap after Trump called them out. You all act like nobody was talking about this before Trump went off, and that is simply not true. In fact, Trump was asked to comment on it, and he did, because it really was a thing.

Perhaps you need to change up your news venues, since it appears you're not actually getting any, um, news.

This crap about "team unity" over patriotism is bull####. If your freaking football team is more important to you than your country, you are a seriously screwed up individual with warped priorities. To put illiterate ####bags above the men and women in our military is just...I don't even have a word for it.

And THEN the Ravens and Jags have the freaking NERVE to kneel in disrespect while our anthem is played, then stand for the British anthem. Are you kidding me??? If I were Trump I'd have revoked their citizenship right them and there and not allowed them back in the country. That's the single most anti-American disrespectful thing I've ever seen.

But you can applaud that #### if you want.

SamSpade

The President essentially called anyone DISRESPECTS THE FLAG a "son of a bitch", and the players and league ran with it.

Two things -

One - it was about disrespecting the flag. If these guys reacted to Trump, they were saying, fine I'll frigging PISS on the flag. They chose to disrespect it.

Two - we already have a thing going across the nation with Confederate symbols, white supremacy symbols and people all concerned with how they "feel" about such things.
Apparently, "feelings" isn't just a trite song.

IF you think it's a matter of how Trump "feels" about it, you can't be on board with all the folks ready to dig up the graves and tear down monuments because they "feel" aggrieved over them.
I do however agree that an insult has more to do with how it is received than delivered. Call ME a monkey, I could give a crap - call a black man a monkey and you'll get the punch you deserve.

(I do think that willfully sitting down for the national anthem is pissing on the graves of our flag and serviceman. I quite literally placed my father's ashes into Arlington last month.
I consider such behavior an insult to him. I am not going to crusade against the NFL. I am just going to turn them off. IF the NFL chooses to fire such twerps, I might be persuaded to watch again.)

And it can be a tough row to hoe - I do think that there are folks out there whose feelings are NOT hurt but are using the "I'm offended" wave to advance their own agenda.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
20 posts on how there is NO RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH AT YOUR WORKPLACE, while everyone seemingly ignores the fact that both the league and teams are on board with this.

"Everyone", eh? Obviously you haven't read my comments, or perhaps you're just ignoring them because they don't fit your narrative.

Chris0nllyn

...In fact, Trump was asked to comment on it, and he did, because it really was a thing.

Perhaps you need to change up your news venues, since it appears you're not actually getting any, um, news.

Here's his speech. He goes from telling folks to vote for Luther Stranger for Senator, then jumps into to discussing the NFL.

Perhaps you could let us all know about what time he received the quesiton about the NFL? It starts at 43:00.

Chris0nllyn

Two things -

One - it was about disrespecting the flag. If these guys reacted to Trump, they were saying, fine I'll frigging PISS on the flag. They chose to disrespect it.

Two - we already have a thing going across the nation with Confederate symbols, white supremacy symbols and people all concerned with how they "feel" about such things.
Apparently, "feelings" isn't just a trite song.

IF you think it's a matter of how Trump "feels" about it, you can't be on board with all the folks ready to dig up the graves and tear down monuments because they "feel" aggrieved over them.
I do however agree that an insult has more to do with how it is received than delivered. Call ME a monkey, I could give a crap - call a black man a monkey and you'll get the punch you deserve.

(I do think that willfully sitting down for the national anthem is pissing on the graves of our flag and serviceman. I quite literally placed my father's ashes into Arlington last month.
I consider such behavior an insult to him. I am not going to crusade against the NFL. I am just going to turn them off. IF the NFL chooses to fire such twerps, I might be persuaded to watch again.)

And it can be a tough row to hoe - I do think that there are folks out there whose feelings are NOT hurt but are using the "I'm offended" wave to advance their own agenda.

I buried my grandfather at Cheltenham a few months ago. I understand and respect the flag myself, but also understand that he fought in war to protect everyone's rights to do what they are doing. If the owners and league don't care, why is everyone so pissy about the fact they these people (however arrogant and ####ty they are) don't share their same opinions?

Because we are a hive mind. We can't think for ourselves.

Regardless of that, I'm not quite following what you're saying. This, like most other "issues" in our current time, blow up for maybe a month, a few months, a year, then what? They fizzle out. Trump's penchant for making a mountain out of a molehill is what brought this new spat on. Him mentioning owners is why owners were on the field, kneeling with the players.

Trump can't keep his mouth shut and his supporters love him for it. But make no mistake, that's why there was such wide-spread kneeling/protesting/whatever you want to call it this weekend.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the owners and league don't care, why is everyone so pissy about the fact they these people (however arrogant and ####ty they are) don't share their same opinions?

Because we are a hive mind. We can't think for ourselves.

Or perhaps it's because we in fact have our own opinions and aren't inclined toward the hivemind and what people like you keep telling us we're *supposed* to think?

NEWSFLASH: We're allowed to disagree with celebrities and sports figures and politicians and strangers on the internet in this country. As of this writing, we don't have to go along with them and agree with whatever nonsense they spew. AND we're allowed to vocalize our dissent and disapproval.

A novel idea, that free speech stuff. Someone should have thought of it long ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Trump's penchant for making a mountain out of a molehill is what brought this new spat on.

Again, you should consider other news venues because whatever you're using isn't keeping you up to date. This is not a "new" spat - it's been going on for almost a year. I see something about it pretty much every day. It wasn't long ago that your buddies with BLM were bitching and crying about racism and demanding that some team pick up Colin Kaepernick; then when the Ravens tried to sign him, K's terrorist girlfriend attacked Bisciotti and Ray Lewis on Twitter, and that was pretty much the end of those negotiations.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

It was all over the news and if you didn't know that happened, guess what? You're the ignorant one, not everybody else.

Chris0nllyn

Speak only for yourself, kid.

No, I feel comfortable saying you can't think for yourself.

You're like a little kid jumping up and down behind the bigger guy in front of you, repeating everything they say.

You can't even come up with new cool, edgy #### to say to strangers on the internet. Mo, shortbus, kid. You're a real treasure trove of individualism for sure.

Or perhaps it's because we in fact have our own opinions and aren't inclined toward the hivemind and what people like you keep telling us we're *supposed* to think?

NEWSFLASH: We're allowed to disagree with celebrities and sports figures and politicians and strangers on the internet in this country. As of this writing, we don't have to go along with them and agree with whatever nonsense they spew. AND we're allowed to vocalize our dissent and disapproval.

A novel idea, that free speech stuff. Someone should have thought of it long ago.

You're right. You and I and everyone else has that right.

The difference being, exercising that right in itself is not something you seem to acknolwedge. You believe that anyone who disagrees with the President is some "progtard" "progbot" who simply can't think for themselves because they disagree with you. If someone disagrees with your position on those things you mentioned, something must be wrong with them.

It's one thing to acknolwedge other's opinions and argue on merits. That #### doesn't happen and you simply shut down any dissent by (mistakenly) claiming that those who disagree with you are simply uninformed.

SamSpade

Trump can't keep his mouth shut and his supporters love him for it.

His supporters love him for the fact that he doesn't just quietly take it up the ass like his predecessors have done all for the sake of harmony.

When he mouths off at North Korea or at the U.N. he is saying what a lot of people have always wanted SOMEONE to say, but for some reason, they feel it is un-statesmanlike to say it.
Meanwhile, his detractors get to call him Stalin and Hitler and the press gets to call him worse.
For some reason, people get all offended when - after calling him a racist and Hitler and a white supremacist, they get all butthurt and run to the press when he punches back.

When I was younger, I would TAKE a punch from someone smaller and weaker than me, partly because I considered it wrong.
(Also, partly because they invariably had someone on their side that would follow up with a REAL beating should I retaliate).
How I wish I'd bloodied their nose and told them go tell your brother, cousin or anyone else to bring it on if you try it again.
Because instead of it showing I took the high road, it turned out it was open season on me by every kid in school.
Because I took the high road - I got the sh*t kicked out of me every day by every kid imaginable and the teachers just shrugged, because they weren't able to do anything - or were unwilling.

THAT is how *I* feel about Trump. Instead of "taking the high road" he's stopped doing what other Republicans have done and kicked the crap out of them back.
Who DOESN'T think the UN is a goddamned waste of money that NEVER stops wars or keeps the peace?
Who DOESN'T think that North Korea is run by crazed lunatics who need to be put down?
Who DOESN'T think Iran is out of control and should never, ever be near a nuclear weapon?
Who DOESN'T think we should be straight about China - who clearly needs us more than we need them - and have used North Korea as a way of sticking it to us quietly?
Why instead have past Presidents just quietly gone along with it all?

SamSpade

You believe that anyone who disagrees with the President is some "progtard" "progbot" who simply can't think for themselves because they disagree with you.

Got to admit, it's supremely creepy when they do a montage of these guys on TV **ALL** using the same phrases.

You *might* get the idea they're not thinking for themselves.

Chris0nllyn

Again, you should consider other news venues because whatever you're using isn't keeping you up to date. This is not a "new" spat - it's been going on for almost a year. I see something about it pretty much every day. It wasn't long ago that your buddies with BLM were bitching and crying about racism and demanding that some team pick up Colin Kaepernick; then when the Ravens tried to sign him, K's terrorist girlfriend attacked Bisciotti and Ray Lewis on Twitter, and that was pretty much the end of those negotiations.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

It was all over the news and if you didn't know that happened, guess what? You're the ignorant one, not everybody else.

Um, what does Ray Lewis tweeting about Kaepernick have to do with this? The story you linked was from Sept.6. If that's the thing that supposedly set everyone off, why'd they all wait 3 weekend of football to do anything?

Because it didn't have to do with Ray Lewis, or Kaepernick's girlfriend ruining her boyfriend's chances at getting a job.

It has to do with Trump's comments. Why did the team statements I linked earlier reference "Trump's comments"? Why are players talking about Trump's comments? Why did almost everyone kneel/lock arms/etc. the weekend after Trump's speech?

Still waiting on that awesome news source you have that shows Trump being asked about it.