NHL 2015-2016 Season

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Old lord Stanley's cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of team sports, for sure.

Gosh, now you got me thinking. The NBA during the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Bulls 80's and early 90's was a lot like the NHL; you had to be tough, really tough, to make it.

jg21

Coming back to DC down 3-1. Can the Caps win 3 straight? It's been done. I love playoff hockey, but losing year after year to Pittsburgh is tough; all my PA relatives never let me forget it. Jagoffs.

I decided tonight that if they lose, I will just enjoy their regular season successes in the future with the realization that they will never win a cup.

And how can Malkin's head shot on Winnick not be suspendable?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Gosh, now you got me thinking. The NBA during the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons/Bulls 80's and early 90's was a lot like the NHL; you had to be tough, really tough, to make it.

I'll stick with the NHL on that one. It's hard enough to score a goal anytime, harder still in the playoffs, and they have that gut wrenching, sudden death golden goal wins it all in any OT. Not to mention the physical beat down these teams put on each other.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll stick with the NHL on that one. It's hard enough to score a goal anytime, harder still in the playoffs, and they have that gut wrenching, sudden death golden goal wins it all in any OT. Not to mention the physical beat down these teams put on each other.

For sure, the NBA has softened the thing up, lot. All the old timers are laughing about Steph curry being some sort of god. They all know they beat the hell out of Jordan and that's what made him great. Curry, they'd have him in therapy 8 days a week. "Why don't they like me?"

Chris0nllyn

Caps are done. They couldn't beat the Pens without Letang, Matta, and Fehr in the Pens' lineup.

Holtby gave up a goal that he shouldn't have. Weber handed the game away in OT. All those chances and bounces in front of the net never materialize and Murray is a one man team.

Hate to say it, but I don't see them coming back and taking the series.

Hank

my war
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The End.

JoeR

Coming back to DC down 3-1. Can the Caps win 3 straight? It's been done. I love playoff hockey, but losing year after year to Pittsburgh is tough; all my PA relatives never let me forget it. Jagoffs.

I decided tonight that if they lose, I will just enjoy their regular season successes in the future with the realization that they will never win a cup.

And how can Malkin's head shot on Winnick not be suspendable?

You do realize the Pans & Caps haven't played each other in the playoffs since the 08/09 season.

JoeR

You do realize we're talking about the Caps? :jameo:

I realize that. My statement was because jg21 said this in his post.
"I love playoff hockey, but losing year after year to Pittsburgh is tough"
Not sure if they follow the Caps as closely others here do. The Pens and Caps haven't played each other in the playoffs since my Pens won that year.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not sure if they follow the Caps as closely others here do. The Pens and Caps haven't played each other in the playoffs since my Pens won that year.

As Cap fans we are aware that we are, what, 7-1 v. Penns in the playoffs? We come back to this alter every damn spring thinking, if nothing else, even blind squirrels find the occasional acorn. We've been one of the best regular season teams far more time than I can count. I don't know chapter and verse but I'd suggest we have the absolutely most tragic post season history of ANY team in ANY sport, ever and one common author of our misery has been you foul fowl. It just sucks and it's as simple as that. I've been at this long enough to remember when we couldn't get past the Rangers or the Devils as well. At least when I was a kid we simply didn't even dare dream of getting past the Islanders of the 1980's. Everything else is this...this...thing. This mental block. This Shakespearean tragedy. And perhaps that is why it is so bad; it is never a tragic comedy. The team does try. It does make changes. It does find great mixes of defense, offense, stoutness, experience, goal keeping and yet every time... :dead:

You watch. We'll win the next two and lose in overtime in an epic game 7. This team is simply too good to not win the next two and get our hopes up.

Again.

:jameo:

jg21

Yeah, I follow hockey pretty much religiously. Sorry for the hyperbole; it just seems losing to the Pens is much worse than losing to the Rangers.

jg21

As Cap fans we are aware that we are, what, 7-1 v. Penns in the playoffs? We come back to this alter every damn spring thinking, if nothing else, even blind squirrels find the occasional acorn. We've been one of the best regular season teams far more time than I can count. I don't know chapter and verse but I'd suggest we have the absolutely most tragic post season history of ANY team in ANY sport, ever and one common author of our misery has been you foul fowl. It just sucks and it's as simple as that. I've been at this long enough to remember when we couldn't get past the Rangers or the Devils as well. At least when I was a kid we simply didn't even dare dream of getting past the Islanders of the 1980's. Everything else is this...this...thing. This mental block. This Shakespearean tragedy. And perhaps that is why it is so bad; it is never a tragic comedy. The team does try. It does make changes. It does find great mixes of defense, offense, stoutness, experience, goal keeping and yet every time... :dead:

You watch. We'll win the next two and lose in overtime in an epic game 7. This team is simply too good to not win the next two and get our hopes up.

Again.

:jameo:

Well put, Larry. That's it in a nutshell. I can see the same thing happening.

Could it be my last great memory of an OT game 7 was beating Boston in Boston a few years ago? Joel Ward! I will not mention his high sticking double minor in game 7 against the Rangers that lost that series.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
1 team figures out how to do it every year. No harder or easier than any other playoff based sport.

Harder. One team has to win 16 games just in the playoffs. While beating each other up the entire time.

I guess we agree to disagree on this one.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
NYI will throw the kitchen sink at the Lightning in period 3 today in a desperate bid to avoid elimination. Let's go Lightning!

PsyOps

Pixelated
So, it ends for the Caps tonight. The most dominant team in the NHL by miles - the best Caps team I've ever seen - does a Phil Mickelson. It was good while it lasted.