"No tax on tips"

Makavide

Not too talkative
This seems like a good idea on a knee-jerk, but when you think about it it's a loser. Or maybe not... I'm still thinking about it.

You don't see a lot of older tipped employees. Tipped jobs tend to be young people who will be moving on to other jobs as they get older. I'm okay with them not declaring their tips. My dog groomer - I tip her in cash specifically so there's no record of it. In fact I tip in cash whenever possible - they can decide whether or not they want to declare it and how much of it. Once the money leaves my hand it's no longer my business.

The problem is older people who tips make up the bulk of their income. If they don't declare it, it's not counted as income and can hose them when they try to get their social security. It also goofs up your credit because you're not showing income to, say, buy a car or rent an apartment.

But then there are older older people who are just supplementing their social security, trying to make some extra scratch. Declaring their tips does nothing except give Congress more money to piss away on foreign countries and illegal aliens. If they hid their tips....well....they should. There is no benefit to them to give a cut to Uncle Sam.

If our government was a good steward of our tax dollars I'd be more inclined to want everyone kicking in. But they're not. They use OUR treasury as their personal piggybank, so if some bartender or Uber driver wants to hose them out of "Ukraine" money and put it in their own pocket, I have no heartburn with that.

Thoughts?

I kind of like the idea. Makes it easier on those who are getting tipped - they no longer need to "lie" on their tax returns. and maybe we can go back to them "earning" the tip, vice expecting it to happen. (plus let's help save the planet - make it illegal for restaurants to waste paper and ink printing "recommended tip" on the bill.)

However, how will this affect their "income bracket"? Will this drop their overall income, making them eligible for more "social services"? Even though their income really doesn't change, are they now getting to use my tax dollars to help with their housing or child care?

Why not just get rid of tipping altogether? Was in Europe for vacation recently and the total cost to eat out over there was the equivalent to over here with tips included. I have no problem paying 15% - 20% more overall if I do not have to figure out what the tip should be.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't tip anymore...

1. They are now making $15/hr
2. Because of that, the price of everything else has skyrocketed.
3. And if you tell me they AREN'T making $15/hr...then someone lied to me over that entire fight for 15....suffer the consequences of a VERY BAD bluff....

I'm NOT tipping Wal-Mart Delivery Driver .. this is NO WAY Wal-marty is paying tip wages ...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However, how will this affect their "income bracket"? Will this drop their overall income, making them eligible for more "social services"? Even though their income really doesn't change, are they now getting to use my tax dollars to help with their housing or child care?

See, and I'd WAY rather my tax bucks go to help low income Americans than give it to some foreign country that's threatening us or a pack of drug dealing child sex trafficking illegal aliens. They spend our money on all kinds of crap, including laundering it and putting it in their own pocket. I'm okay with helping out Americans who need it.

The gal who brought me my food the other day and was so charming - SHE should be making the millions, not some slimy POS politician or foreign dictator.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Right. But I'm talking about increasing the sales tax and eliminating the income tax.

I get it. It is not that the income tax needs to be eliminated, it's the tax on wages that need to be addressed. "Income" is only generated if a person is getting money/profits from the sale of stocks, or the profits from a financial investment, or from money, the net profits, renting a house, or profits from the sale of goods from a business, or money from the interest charges from having extending a loan, or money from receiving dividends, or money from receiving interest on one's savings account; basically, "income" is the passive generation of receiving money to one that extends no labor, ie. just sits on their ass doing nothing productive to 'earn' the money received.

You want to change things? Step outside the box and teach people that "wages" are compensation for providing and exchanging one's labor and time for that money. Once that exchange has occurred, that non-taxable money becomes the personal property of the person proving the labor. A "wage" is not income, and never has been. This means that, unless someone implicitly consents to having deductions taken from the paychecks, any tax be it, federal, state and FICA, etc., it is theft.

If one were paid in food, say a bag of wheat for their labor to make bread to feed one's family, do you think it right for government to take half? It would rightly be called theft under threat of force, wouldn't it?

The Nation's people have been tricked into believing that a wage is income, so they voluntarily fill out an "income" tax form. If one has no "income" then one need not fill out an "income" tax form.

As far as property taxes? All primary homes should be never be taxed. Instead, it is any second home, or more investment homes, and all commercial properties that should be levied and paying property taxes as they are operating in commerce.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The gal who brought me my food the other day and was so charming - SHE should be making the millions, not some slimy POS politician or foreign dictator.
I tipped our waitress a few cents under 20% Friday night at the marina, and it was all you could eat buffet. I did it because she was very friendly. Restaurant was slow so she chatted with us a while before we left. My wife and her hit it off.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I'm wondering why once you've bought something you have to pay taxes on it every single year forever.

The short story? Because people are ignorant, and without question just go along with something they did not consent to, and weren't even alive when such laws were passed.

The longer story? In the past, land owned, and any thing upon that land, was held in allodial title. Which means that its ownership was in absolute terms, no one, not even government, could tell an owner what they could do with it, let alone tax it. Except in cases of imminent domain, as laid out in the Constitution.

Then came the shyster banksters, in cahoots with government. If one took out a loan from a bank, and encumbered the property, then the title converted to "in fee simple", the absolute lowest and weakest form of title. And when getting money from a bank, the bank always dictates the terms of the loan, since, it is now the bank that has bought and now owns the property, telling you what you can, and cannot do with it, and, that you must pay any and all costs associated with maintaining the property, as well as paying any taxes that might be associated with it. Basically, the banks said to government, (now the actual owners of nearly all property in the US), if you need more revenue, tax real estate, even though we really own and hold a note on the property, it will be the tenant paying the bill, not us. You, are just a tenant living in their property.

In the past, when a mortgage was paid off, the bank would send you back the deed showing the loan was satisfied, is no longer encumbered, and you now have back complete ownership of your property once again. People back in the day would actually have parties to commentate getting the deed back to their property. Nowadays, when one pays off their mortgage, instead of receiving their deed back showing the property unencumbered, we get a simple "letter of satisfaction", and one filed at the Clerk of the Court, that says the loan has been repaid.

Banks, and by extension States, allow you the following ..... When you have title of real property, you have the following five rights:

The right of possession – you are the legal controller of the property and have the right to be on the property
The right of control – you can use the property however you want, as long as you are not doing anything illegal
The right of exclusion – you have the authority to tell people to get off of the property and invite them onto the property
The right of enjoyment – you have the right to live peacefully and not be bothered by others while on the property
The right of disposition – you have the right to transfer the property

Ownership is not among those five because the bank owns the property. Miss one payment and you can be considered in default of the terms of the loan and they can recall the entire balance of the loan. If you can't pay it back fully in the time allotted, they will foreclose on the property and out on the street you go, then they'll sell it to someone else that can pay. And even if you fully pay back a mortgage, the property is still held "in fee simple", allowing the continuation of property taxes, and subject to any and all zoning rules BS. When a note is paid off, you then become a tenant of the State, because of that "in fee simple" title.

This is pretty much the gist of how this happened. This is just the basics.

It's my opinion backed by lots of research, reading, and observations.

Clem72

This is a convoluted and ultimately stupid argument. We have a progressive tax system, if you don't make much you don't pay much. There's no reason why a farrier or roofer or grocery clerk making 40k a year should pay more taxes than someone who waits tables for 40k a year. Just pay your damn taxes.

WingsOfGold

My bitch is property tax, prop tax is what DROVE us out of Pennsylvania (North York Co) Well over 5500 a year for something about 200K about 9 or 10 years ago. Layers and layers of local govt shiit up there. Out of pocket for trash pickup fine but NO electronics AND you were billed when it's vacant for trash obviously not using service! No doubt members of town council are on the take. Lost our asses there after sinking 60k in improvements.
Schools were PALACES, complete with equestrian and swimming pools. Baby moma paid NOTHING towards putting their bastards in these places property taxes do. Virginia with much more house for 50k more was about half that even w/personal prop tax. Offset losing ass in Pa and nearly doubled investment.
Now in Fl, about the same as in Va slightly more expensive house, half the size with next to no property, don't care. LOTS of what they call amenities 200 extra a month umteen pools, gyms and golf courses..... free along with some really good music at town center. No idea about schools, only old farts allowed to live here. Roving patrols 24/7 got a call from them about 0300, garage door left open with lights on, alligators are known to inhabit. Orlando intl is about a hour and change south. She came back 0200 last night from playing music a month in Europe, 40 bucks community van picks you up and drops you off at your doorstep. HAPPY I was left off the hook on that! Both my Pa and Va carry permits are now obsolete.
Might go to local Vet cemetery or Arlington to pick out my burial plot next week. :)

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Waitress came around with a can for tips that usually sat on the counter. She said I could put the tip in the can.

I almost said something I would have regretted.

luvmygdaughters

Yes, I pay every two years for new stickers and registration, but, I didn't consider that a tax, maybe I'm wrong. If you think about it, it does seem redundant to get new stickers every two years if you still have that vehicle. Why not keep the same tag/stickers and registration for the duration of the ownership?

WingsOfGold

Does tips sound like tits to you guys? I might tip even more if they showed em.
I should be on the SC, I can define woman.

Bare-ya-cuda

IMG_1043.jpeg