No Xmas shopping at Waldorf Mall for me

Sadysue said:
Items considered dangerous weapons in Maryland

- taken from this website: http://www.findlaw.com/11stategov/md/laws.html

- this is the direct link: http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpex...emplates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_cr4-101

4-101. Dangerous weapons
1. "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.
2. "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.
3. "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.
4. "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.
5. "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

People Who May Carry Weapons

………an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case………….

........................................................................................................

So basically, you get caught with a weapon, it’s up to the court to decide your fate.

Interesting. My wife carried pepper spray for years on walks because of dogs.
This is a loop hole though.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Just don't conceal it and you're golden. You are not carrying it to do anything but protect yourself. Just figure out how to "injure someone in a lawful manner". Don't you just love the legal jargon?

marianne

desertrat said:
You are not carrying it to do anything but protect yourself. Just figure out how to "injure someone in a lawful manner". Don't you just love the legal jargon?

There are awesome women's self defense classes in NYC that I've taken and had begun teaching (http://www.prepareinc.com/). They have an affililated program in DC, although I've never gone there myself. One of the instructors in NYC is a lawyer and told students that if you're protecting yourself from a strange attacker, a judge is not going to find you guilty of assault or battery. Of course if the guy goes away, you should probably not go chasing after him trying to further injure him - I believe that may be considered unlawful.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
desertrat said:

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Just don't conceal it and you're golden. You are not carrying it to do anything but protect yourself. Just figure out how to "injure someone in a lawful manner". Don't you just love the legal jargon?

Yep. That's the wonderful thing about MD. You can carry a Katana with 36" blade and they can't touch you; but its illegal to put a balisong, with a 4" blade, in your pocket.

You can carry what you like, as long as its not concealed. "Consealed" meaning that someone can not only see it, but be able to tell what it is from a reasonable distance.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
marianne said:
There are awesome women's self defense classes in NYC that I've taken and had begun teaching (http://www.prepareinc.com/). They have an affililated program in DC, although I've never gone there myself. One of the instructors in NYC is a lawyer and told students that if you're protecting yourself from a strange attacker, a judge is not going to find you guilty of assault or battery. Of course if the guy goes away, you should probably not go chasing after him trying to further injure him - I believe that may be considered unlawful.

I'd thought about giving classes on that before. It really wouldn't take much. I guess crime around here hasn't gotten bad enough to warrant having customers yet :lol: Amazing how that works...

AndyMarquisLIVE

desertrat said:
Sometimes you need to do things that are illegal in order to defend yourself.
If someone was after you in your car would you worry about the speed limit?

This is true... Still, law enforcement doesn't have a gray area. If they can find you defending yourself and can't find whoever attacked you, you're going to jail for assault.

They do this in the schools also. Too often, I see kids being suspended for defending themselves. Yo're taught not to be pushed around by a bully, then you you are and you fight back, the bully's the good guy and yopu're the bad guy. Don't you know you're supposed to let the guy kill ya?

Just another reason I believe in the 2nd amendment.

Nupe2

AndyMarquisLIVE said:
This is true... Still, law enforcement doesn't have a gray area. If they can find you defending yourself and can't find whoever attacked you, you're going to jail for assault.

They do this in the schools also. Too often, I see kids being suspended for defending themselves. Yo're taught not to be pushed around by a bully, then you you are and you fight back, the bully's the good guy and yopu're the bad guy. Don't you know you're supposed to let the guy kill ya?

Just another reason I believe in the 2nd amendment.

How are you going to jail for assault if they can't find whoever attacked you? :confused:

I thought the second amendment authorized a militia....I know, I know...

C

chess

Buckets said:
After hearing about three armed robberies in less than 2 1/2 weeks in the mall parking lot it is safe to say I will not be shopping there(or anyone I care about). It has gone way down hill anyway.

they are gangsters.... also, we are dart champs... holla

chess said:
they are gangsters.... also, we are dart champs... holla
Darts? That gives me an idea, throwing stars may be illegal, but whos to say you can't be packing a couple sets of your favorite darts? And whos to say they can't weigh 1/2 pound each and have points 3" long?

C

chess

desertrat said:
Darts? That gives me an idea, throwing stars may be illegal, but whos to say you can't be packing a couple sets of your favorite darts? And whos to say they can't weigh 1/2 pound each and have points 3" long?

brass knuckles are too... but you have to be slick about it :larry:

Vince

desertrat said:

Forget the legal BS. Next time I go to the mall I'll carry my grandfathers old double barrel 10 ga. Yes, I said 10 ga. :yikes: No one should bother me.

Vince said:
Forget the legal BS. Next time I go to the mall I'll carry my grandfathers old double barrel 10 ga. Yes, I said 10 ga. :yikes: No one should bother me.
I think that would be a safe assumption. :lmao:

Azzy

Buckets said:
It is not about staying alive. It is about going home with your money. And either you spend it there or you loose it in the parking lot. You take your pick
I never carry money and I can call my bank faster than they can use my bank cards :shrug:

Azzy

Chain729 said:
You can carry what you like, as long as its not concealed. "Consealed" meaning that someone can not only see it, but be able to tell what it is from a reasonable distance.
So basically, I could carry a handgun as long as I carry it in my hand and pointed so that everyone can see what it is :lmao:

SMIB Sucks

What the?!?!?
Buckets said:
After hearing about three armed robberies in less than 2 1/2 weeks in the mall parking lot it is safe to say I will not be shopping there(or anyone I care about). It has gone way down hill anyway.

Dodging the bullets is like a fine art. It actually can be fun sometimes. If you get good at it you may even be able to become a Zen master. Anyway...just go to another mall if it bothers you that much...spazz

Vince

Had a friend of mine picking up his daughter from work at the mall. 6 little ####heads tried to pick on his daughter and he beat the crap out of them. Sent 2 to the hospital. Of course our wonderful judicial system put him in jail instead of the POS's hanging out at the mall. Isn't justice wonderful today. :sarcasm:

Azzy

Vince said:
Had a friend of mine picking up his daughter from work at the mall. 6 little ####heads tried to pick on his daughter and he beat the crap out of them. Sent 2 to the hospital. Of course our wonderful judicial system put him in jail instead of the POS's hanging out at the mall. Isn't justice wonderful today. :sarcasm:
Thats ridiculous

Vince said:
You have to watch that beating the crap out of minors stuff.

Azzy

desertrat said:
You have to watch that beating the crap out of minors stuff.
Yet, if a minor who is roughly 16, kills someone, they can be charged as an adult. It makes no sense, sometimes the only choice is to beat the crap outta their lil hoodlum asses.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I was up in Waldork tonight and took a trip through the mall. On my way back to my vehicle there was a lone hooligan meandering about the parking lot. I glared at him with the "I dare ya" stink eye, and he walked the other direction. :lol: