numbness on left side of face

bcp

In My Opinion
Nicole_in_somd said:
I guess my question is if she had an infection then why did the hospital fail to give her antibiotics?
first was if viral or bacterial? was it something that the body could fight on its own?

antibiotics work with bacterial infections only. they will not be prescribed for a virus. At this point, the best method for treating virus is to treat the symptoms and wait for the body to beat it on its own. (think colds)

Bells palsy is a swelling of the facial nerve and can be caused by either a bacterial infection, or a viral infection, or an injury.

so, basically, if they found an infection and they did not suggest antibiotics, chances are that the infection is viral in nature and her body will just have to take care of it on its own.

hope she feels better soon.

sockgirl77

jp2854 said:
I go to dr. schmidt shes good and she actually listens. if she needs an ent dr daley (spelling) is good too.
Dr. Schmidt is wonderful. I have tumors on my pituitary gland, throat, and inner cheek. She was my doc for 6 years and monitored them. In fact, I was having vision and migrane problems. She was the doc that finally figured out what was wrong with me. She ordered the MRI that found the tumor on my pituitary gland. She also was the doc that diagnosed me with PCOS and diabetes. After going through several docs with no answers and and damn near thinking that I was just going crazy, she finally was my angel. :yay:

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
bcp said:
first was if viral or bacterial? was it something that the body could fight on its own?

antibiotics work with bacterial infections only. they will not be prescribed for a virus. At this point, the best method for treating virus is to treat the symptoms and wait for the body to beat it on its own. (think colds)

Bells palsy is a swelling of the facial nerve and can be caused by either a bacterial infection, or a viral infection, or an injury.

so, basically, if they found an infection and they did not suggest antibiotics, chances are that the infection is viral in nature and her body will just have to take care of it on its own.

hope she feels better soon.

thanks but she is not sure and we placed calls in to the hospital to find out

she cut her foot about a month ago, it healed but healed slowly and her foot was in a lot of pain. It was a rabbit hutch she cut it on...

She went to er on sunday and they told her she had cellulitits (nit sureof spelling) but they did not take any blood or urnie samples to determine that.

Put her on antibiotics and sent her home.

She took them and when she went out tuesday to get some milk she had that attack and went back to ER that is when they put her in and did all those tests.

the only thing they did tell her was that her count was at 70 and the norm is 20 and that there is an infection...nothing after that.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
sockgirl77 said:
Dr. Schmidt is wonderful. I have tumors on my pituitary gland, throat, and inner cheek. She was my doc for 6 years and monitored them. In fact, I was having vision and migrane problems. She was the doc that finally figured out what was wrong with me. She ordered the MRI that found the tumor on my pituitary gland. She also was the doc that diagnosed me with PCOS and diabetes. After going through several docs with no answers and and damn near thinking that I was just going crazy, she finally was my angel. :yay:

\can I please have her number?

W

wkndbeacher

Nicole_in_somd said:
my Best friend that I have known forever was in the store the other day when all of a sudden the left side of her face went numb. She said her lips felt like a bee stung them or that she went to the dentist and had blurry vision on one eye.

I took her to St Marys ER.
Where she waited for almost 4 hours until someone saw her and admitted her.

She stayed in the hopsital for 4 days going through every test you could think of.

They told her that she may have MS. She may have lupus, she may have just an infection from the cut.

Then they let her go home.

has anyone in here gone through this or know someone that did?

Im so sorry, my prayers are with her, that she may be get better or be cured of whatever is causing the issues. btw, I think someone im box is full ;)

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
wkndbeacher said:
Im so sorry, my prayers are with her, that she may be get better or be cured of whatever is causing the issues. btw, I think someone im box is full ;)

thanks I hope so. She and I went out this morning to get some fresh air and some coffee and the same thing happened again. I talked her through it and it was quite a while before that feeling started to let up a little.

She said it feels as if she went to the dentist and her whole face was shot up with novacaine.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Nicole_in_somd said:
thanks I hope so. She and I went out this morning to get some fresh air and some coffee and the same thing happened again. I talked her through it and it was quite a while before that feeling started to let up a little.

She said it feels as if she went to the dentist and her whole face was shot up with novacaine.
Does she still have her wisdom teeth? It's a long shot, but one of them could be infected (they never stop "growing", and are very prone to cavities).

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Nickel said:
Does she still have her wisdom teeth? It's a long shot, but one of them could be infected (they never stop "growing", and are very prone to cavities).

that is weird you saying that...she does have a broken tooth and that gets infected off and on...maybe....

oldman

Lobster Land
sunflower said:
Try waiting 6 hours Just to be seen :jameo:

When I was in really bad shape a couple years ago I had a friend take me to the emergency room. He bald faced lied to them telling them I was on my last legs and he wrote it on the papers they gave him. Within 1/2 hour I was admitted. Just maybe an idea to get admitted/seen a little faster.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
oldman said:
When I was in really bad shape a couple years ago I had a friend take me to the emergency room. He bald faced lied to them telling them I was on my last legs and he wrote it on the papers they gave him. Within 1/2 hour I was admitted. Just maybe an idea to get admitted/seen a little faster.

I will keep that in mind next time. I will be sure to pass that along to her too.

Collette

That's horrible! it sounds like it could be bells palsy(spelling?). She should go see a neurologist and asap. Hope she feels better soon.

bcp

In My Opinion
Nicole_in_somd said:

are you saying that this numbness just comes and goes for no reason and without warning?

if so.

tell her to make her doctors do a cat scan, or an MRI on her neck vertibrae, specifically the 7th. have them look for a nerve that might be pinched.

cant see a virus causing it to come and go like that.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
bcp said:
are you saying that this numbness just comes and goes for no reason and without warning?

if so.

tell her to make her doctors do a cat scan, or an MRI on her neck vertibrae, specifically the 7th. have them look for a nerve that might be pinched.

cant see a virus causing it to come and go like that.

yeah it does come and go..she has a horrible pain in her left ear too. Pressure on the sides of her head when this starts up.

She is going for a MRI and a MRA wednesday.

She is also on strong anitbiotics for the cut on her foot I hope that does not have bad side effects.